Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Apr 2016, 11:23 (Ref:3634774)   #1
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Prequalification Weekend

It's been a few years since we've been to this, but I'm quite tempted as it can be fairly easily done using the Tunnel and Peage...

Has anyone been recently, is there much there on the day itself?

Is scrutineering open to the public on that weekend or is it a closed affair?

Any extra info. would be good.

Cheers!
Old 19 Apr 2016, 12:29 (Ref:3634797)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps View Post
....Is scrutineering open to the public on that weekend or is it a closed affair?...
Otherwise we'll just have to blag it, I reckon I could pass for a slightly shorter Chip Ganassi.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 13:50 (Ref:3634824)   #3
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's been a few years since we've been to this, but I'm quite tempted as it can be fairly easily done using the Tunnel and Peage...

Cheers!
This year Scrutineering starts Thursday. However for not much money you get 8 hours of track action plus hotels at normal rate and no crowds.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 14:01 (Ref:3634827)   #4
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Prequalification? What is this, 1996?
Old 19 Apr 2016, 15:54 (Ref:3634887)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Ian and i went 2 years ago booked up cheap hotel and tunnel on the saturday morning drove down in the afternoon had a drink and food in the city and spent sunday at the circuit meet up with several of the local tenthers and had a great time, drove back afterwards and got last tunnel home that night, race ticket gave us free entry
Old 19 Apr 2016, 16:06 (Ref:3634890)   #6
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Cheers!
Well worth a trip. As Simon mentioned, we did it in 2014 - very much spur of the moment, but tremendous fun. On the day it's fun seeing the circuit without a lot of the furniture we're used to seeing in June, grass a lot longer, and while it's reasonably well attended, there are still far fewer people around.

Paddock's open (much in the way it is for much of the main event) but with a bit more relaxed atmosphere - which is nice. It's also very cost effective if you do a flying visit with a short trip Eurotunnel ticket and unlike June, hotels are much more available and reflect the sort of pricing you'd generally find in Le Mans for most of the year.

Giving serious consideration to doing it again this year.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3634953)   #7
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Prequalification? What is this, 1996?
Sorry, Journee or Test Day (better?)

Some drivers still need to qualify of course..
Old 19 Apr 2016, 19:38 (Ref:3634955)   #8
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Otherwise we'll just have to blag it, I reckon I could pass for a slightly shorter Chip Ganassi.
Hmmm... Peut être but what are you doing with JPM (if you squint) and Ian Hislop (by the sea in France)???
Old 20 Apr 2016, 15:42 (Ref:3635163)   #9
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Hmm.... Just looking at booking Eurotunnel for this - latest train we can book is 22:36 on the Sunday. With that in mind is it likely that there is going to be much track action all the way up to 6pm on the Sunday? Can anyone help who went in the past 2-3 years please? I suspect it will depend on the preceding running and weather conditions, but it might help to gauge - or may well leave a little early which I dislike doing.

Cheers!
Old 20 Apr 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3635164)   #10
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sorry, Journee or Test Day (better?)

Some drivers still need to qualify of course..
Oh, I actually wish it was still prequali...
Old 20 Apr 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3635169)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Phil, do not worry we left around 5 last time and even in Ian's prius we got back in plenty of time, roods were very quite unlike the main event so not really a problem
Old 21 Apr 2016, 08:47 (Ref:3635351)   #12
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Phil, do not worry we left around 5 last time and even in Ian's prius we got back in plenty of time, roods were very quite unlike the main event so not really a problem
Cheers, I know that leaving at 5pm is an option but was hoping to catch all the on track action - I guess we'll just have to weigh up the options on the day!
Old 21 Apr 2016, 10:07 (Ref:3635362)   #13
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=eps;3635351]Cheers, I know that leaving at 5pm is an option but was hoping to catch all the on track action - I guess we'll just have to weigh up the options on the day! [/QUOTE

We left at 1700 aiming at getting the 2150 Eurotunnel and I have a sneaking suspicion we might have got aboard an earlier one - it was certainly still broad daylight when boarded - so you've got a bit of wiggle room if you're getting the slightly later crossing.

Also worth bearing in mind that we didn't take the peage on the route back - and indeed we paused at Bernay to get some dinner en route too, so there's scope to win some time there too.

We did try to stream the RLM coverage on the road so as to not miss any of the coverage, but found there were quite a few connection drop outs which complicated matters.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 10:27 (Ref:3635365)   #14
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Yes i think we did end up getting one about 9.30 so even leaving around 6 you should easily make the last tunnel, but to be honest the last hour is not when most of the action is, this is not a last minute fast lap sort of event, so leaving a little early is not really that bad. We popped into macdonalds for a quick break so time could be saved there
Old 21 Apr 2016, 10:58 (Ref:3635369)   #15
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Yes i think we did end up getting one about 9.30 so even leaving around 6 you should easily make the last tunnel, but to be honest the last hour is not when most of the action is, this is not a last minute fast lap sort of event, so leaving a little early is not really that bad. We popped into macdonalds for a quick break so time could be saved there
Old 26 Apr 2016, 10:50 (Ref:3636433)   #16
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was at the Test day last year - it was great. Would recommend going in on Saturday evening and staying in the city centre. We saw alot of teams/drivers in their team gear having dinner. We were at the same hotel as the Porsche LMP1 team. Plus you'll be well rested for the session on Sunday.
Old 27 Apr 2016, 09:11 (Ref:3636650)   #17
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Cheers, we're booked on 9:50 Tunnel out (on the Saturday) and 22:36 back (or whatever the last one was that was being offered) on the Sunday.

I've got an option on two hotels - I think like you we saw a few drivers a few years back in town - so this has made my mind up, we'll stay nearer to the town centre instead of in the outskirts, cheers!

Last edited by eps; 27 Apr 2016 at 09:16.
Old 27 Apr 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3636665)   #18
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cheers, we're booked on 9:50 Tunnel out (on the Saturday) and 22:36 back (or whatever the last one was that was being offered) on the Sunday.

I've got an option on two hotels - I think like you we saw a few drivers a few years back in town - so this has made my mind up, we'll stay nearer to the town centre instead of in the outskirts, cheers!

Fantastic - you'll have a great time!
Old 27 Apr 2016, 13:01 (Ref:3636689)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:

You will have a great time Phil, make sure you meet up with the locals on Sunday, we arrange a meet in the grandstand overlooking the pits when we went
Old 30 Apr 2016, 07:26 (Ref:3637279)   #20
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Shall we organize a petit 10-10th meeting ?
Old 1 May 2016, 07:56 (Ref:3637457)   #21
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Shall we organize a petit 10-10th meeting ?
Pourquoi pas?
Old 1 May 2016, 09:02 (Ref:3637470)   #22
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Pourquoi pas?
So, let's meet around 9am in the pits grandstand above the Audi boxes.
Old 3 May 2016, 12:05 (Ref:3638095)   #23
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
So, let's meet around 9am in the pits grandstand above the Audi boxes.
Parfait Pascal, parfait
Old 16 May 2016, 10:22 (Ref:3642056)   #24
Tomver
Rookie

Tomver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm thinking of driving up there as well for the testday. Arrive on saturday and leave sunday night, just need to see if I can get a day off from work.

I usually go to the raceweekend but I've been to the WEC races at Silverstone and Spa this year and might visit the Nurburgring as well. Le Mans would be a watch from home race this year.
Old 18 May 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3642680)   #25
Deleted
Veteran

Test day scrutineering schedule version 1
http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichi...-mans-2016.pdf

Official photoshoot of the grid at 4PM on Saturday