Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 May 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3734225)   #101
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can't turn a profit on something that doesn't make you any money.

From a financial perspective, the series has stagnated. The value in advertising space has fallen, patronage at the track is a lower number on average. They perhaps aren't able to leverage off of the current TV deal either.

Alarm bells went off a couple of years ago, when they started stripping all the expenses out of the championship; tyre restrictions, 2-day events, slimming down the staff count. Then they started a large push well after one season had started, to secure individual event sponsors (Below market rate, most likely), to try and claw the money back.

Did SEL flog it off before it started to tank? Isn't that how big business works?
Old 18 May 2017, 09:56 (Ref:3734226)   #102
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StueyB83 View Post
Do they throw in a free set of steak knives?
Dunno about the steak knives but there is a sleeper asset called the B12 in there somewhere isn't there?
Old 18 May 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3734227)   #103
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The debate I've been engaged in now is getting repetitive as I feel I'm just saying the same things over and over so I'll wait for more official bids to be replaced. I have taken your opinions on note and there is some truth within them. On another note I would support an SEL takeover they would be great for the series.
Old 18 May 2017, 10:08 (Ref:3734230)   #104
StueyB83
Rookie

StueyB83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Dunno about the steak knives but there is a sleeper asset called the B12 in there somewhere isn't there?
Shhhhh... I was hoping no-one would notice that because they were more distracted by the Magic Steam Cleaner and amazing Fat-Free Air cooker.
Old 18 May 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3734238)   #105
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2244 View Post
Considering the profit Supercars turned over last year wouldn't necessarily say that it's fact. I think to an extent your right in some ways it was but in some ways it wasn't..
When they bought the series in 2011 we had more entries, events in Abu Dhabi & Bahrain as well as NZ, plus a new 5-year deal with Texas was freshly signed, the Sydney 500 was still being bandied as the greatest event ever in after two runnings and three years still to go on that contract, and they were in the middle of the mega-buck 6-year TV deal with Channel 7 that had started in 2007.

Now we have less cars, only NZ left as an overseas event at the moment, no more major Sydney event, a big TV deal going in its favour but it delivers less FTA content

Quote:
Originally Posted by StueyB83
but generally if something makes money year on year - it becomes more valuable when its time to sell it..
ding ding we have a winner
Old 18 May 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3734243)   #106
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
When they bought the series in 2011 we had more entries, events in Abu Dhabi & Bahrain as well as NZ, plus a new 5-year deal with Texas was freshly signed, the Sydney 500 was still being bandied as the greatest event ever in after two runnings and three years still to go on that contract, and they were in the middle of the mega-buck 6-year TV deal with Channel 7 that had started in 2007.

Now we have less cars, only NZ left as an overseas event at the moment, no more major Sydney event, a big TV deal going in its favour but it delivers less FTA content

ding ding we have a winner
A good counter argument may I add but here's my view on it:
1. We only have 2 less entrants which is no significant change and the category is much more competitive across the 26 entries now.
2. Is true but but likely change in due time seemingly through a Sepang deal perhaps
3. The Foxtel deal has been brilliant and I just realised I've been misquoting the figure it's actually $241 million with $196 million in cash and the fta deal was really not "big buck" and there offer would've been detrimental for the category at the prices they were offering. This has also been a revelation for support categories whom now are receiving all live coverage compared to the disaster it was before. Lastly there's plenty of other cheaper options for non fta viewers to watch the platform
4. Sydney was never really going to work in the long term , Newcastle has proven it is a much more sustainable home for Supercars the community event with around 10,000 attendees proved this
Old 18 May 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3734249)   #107
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
3. The Foxtel deal has been brilliant and I just realised I've been misquoting the figure it's actually $241 million with $196 million in cash and the fta deal was really not "big buck" and there offer would've been detrimental for the category at the prices they were offering. This has also been a revelation for support categories whom now are receiving all live coverage compared to the disaster it was before. Lastly there's plenty of other cheaper options for non fta viewers to watch the platform
The FTA deal at the time of the sale in 2011 was about $32 million a year, going from 2007-2012, well up on the previous deal that Ten were paying in the previous 2002-2006 contract...so much so that Ten laughed off their chance to counter it in the 2007-2012 bid process, saying they saw no way that anyone could make their money back off that deal. That sounds like a "big buck" increase to me. I'm not sure what offer that was detrimental to the category you are talking about here?

Not sure what you mean about a disaster for support categories either, they were getting live coverage on Channel 7 from 2007-2014 too.

The current TV deal is only brilliant if you are one of the 28% of Australian households that have Foxtel. For the 72% of Australian households without it, the current TV deal is a shocker compared to the 2013-14 TV deal. It's all about perspective

Quote:
4. Sydney was never really going to work in the long term , Newcastle has proven it is a much more sustainable home for Supercars the community event with around 10,000 attendees proved this
Sydney was never going to work long term? Did you read any of the PR in the early years of the event? We were told it would be as big as Clipsal, we were told that the event would be signed up for a decade beyond the initial 5-year deal....instead we now have the series grand final in a regional area 2hrs away...name another major sport in Australia that does this?

How has Newcastle proved it is a much more sustainable home for Supercars, they haven't even held an event yet! The same stuff was said before Homebush started

Last edited by one five five; 18 May 2017 at 12:50.
Old 18 May 2017, 13:03 (Ref:3734252)   #108
StueyB83
Rookie

Quote:
How has Newcastle proved it is a much more sustainable home for Supercars, they haven't even held an event yet! The same stuff was said before Homebush started
I frequent Maitland and Cessnock for work - believe me - it's suitable.

Also, in 2011 VASC was looking at a sudden growth in involved manufacturers - which was tangible growth. Now, it's looking like a potential two manufacturer series with the models that have made the V8 Legend fast fading into a distant memory.

And with it, goes a bulk of Australian race engineering and fabrication talent.
Old 18 May 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3734253)   #109
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
The FTA deal at the time of the sale in 2011 was about $32 million a year, going from 2007-2012, well up on the previous deal that Ten were paying in the previous 2002-2006 contract...so much so that Ten laughed off their chance to counter it in the 2007-2012 bid process, saying they saw no way that anyone could make their money back off that deal. That sounds like a "big buck" increase to me. I'm not sure what offer that was detrimental to the category you are talking about here?

Not sure what you mean about a disaster for support categories either, they were getting live coverage on Channel 7 from 2007-2014 too.

The current TV deal is only brilliant if you are one of the 28% of Australian households that have Foxtel. For the 72% of Australian households without it, the current TV deal is a shocker compared to the 2013-14 TV deal. It's all about perspective

Sydney was never going to work long term? Did you read any of the PR in the early years of the event? We were told it would be as big as Clipsal, we were told that the event would be signed up for a decade beyond the initial 5-year deal....instead we now have the series grand final in a regional area 2hrs away...name another major sport in Australia that does this?

When I use the term big buck being inapt I mean in comparison to the currently deal it wasn't and I mean that the offers made by 7 where effectively unsustainable for the category to continue to be remain profitable with such a lowly offer. What I meant in reference to support is Look at how much coverage the support categories where receiving in comparison, now it's increased in timing and quality. Also go and have a look at the community event there was a huge attendance (that was unprecedented) and all accomodation is pretty much booked out around the venue now. In my opinion Newcastle will work where Sydney tended to faulter as it has a strong and large community base behind it

Last edited by PS2244; 18 May 2017 at 13:21.
Old 18 May 2017, 22:06 (Ref:3734353)   #110
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps the Australian Tax Office will look at buying into the series, by what was shown on TV last night they have been financing fast cars and some lower divisions of Motorsport for sometime!
Old 18 May 2017, 23:20 (Ref:3734360)   #111
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
2. Is true but but likely change in due time seemingly through a Sepang deal perhaps
Much like new manufacturers, there's always a new OS round on the horizon. Most don't happen. The ones that do never last. Sepang is an amazing facility, and Malaysia is a beautiful country, but how many teams/sponsors will be itching to race there? Outside of MotoGP the place doesn't pull a crowd, and those big stands will look hideous with 1000 people sitting in them.

Quote:
The Foxtel deal was brilliant for teams who were backs to the wall a few years ago and needed a cash injection. But it has massive limitations and teams know it; indeed Brad Jones acknowledged its limitations on a podcast the other day and he feels the series must work towards a far stronger FTA deal next time around. Problem is, that's still 3 years away, and as others have discussed, there are already downturns in numbers in significant areas that will affect trying to entice companies into the sport, particularly when juggernauts like AFL, NRL and BBL are competing in the same marketplace at similar rates.

Quote:
10,000? Really? Who counted them? Newcastle will work. For the first year. And the second. Homebush did as well. The trick is to make it work from year 3 on. It will hinge on ticket prices and viewing points. Supercars have mixed results in these areas.
Old 18 May 2017, 23:48 (Ref:3734364)   #112
StueyB83
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
10,000? Really? Who counted them? Newcastle will work. For the first year. And the second. Homebush did as well. The trick is to make it work from year 3 on. It will hinge on ticket prices and viewing points. Supercars have mixed results in these areas.
According to a former (and not too former) NSW tourism and events minister I had the luck to talk to recently about this, at the one Homebush race he attended it appeared that Tony Cochrane counted all 10,000+ crowd members himself, possibly with his fingers.
Old 19 May 2017, 01:03 (Ref:3734369)   #113
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its a rare skill to look outside a corporate box and tell exactly how many people have attended an event. Only the greats can do it, the NRL Roosters and AFL Giants also have this remarkable ability.
Old 19 May 2017, 01:14 (Ref:3734370)   #114
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
and there is me just thinking they do it the same as everyone else. Tickets issued. Oh wait, that's exactly what they do. (But the typical conspiracy theorist have made up some otehr ideas they cant prove)

Anyway, it clear that a loss may be made by Archer based on the numbers given if they end up selling.

Does this just mean they overpaid though. The price they paid was a masssive increase on what the original purchase price was ($52,000 for 25% (or $208,000))
Old 19 May 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3734444)   #115
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I submit a business plan to Infrastructure Australia, surely they would give me $50 mill to keep the show running.

infrastructureaustralia.gov.au/

Infrastructure Australia is an independent statutory body with a mandate to prioritise and progress nationally significant infrastructure.

I believe this would meet the the core requirements , plus a quickly knocked up feasibility study, **** any State Govt can up with a White Paper , I say a blue paper to push the cause of motosport at taxpayers expense, just like,
CA(Cricket Australia), NRL, AFL, A Leauge, oops, almost forgot, the entertainment centers in each City.
Or we could convert it to a religion, tax free , pay homepage once a fortnight ,
happy days

If Townsville can get a footy stadium, why cant we get a race track?

Last edited by fomoco; 19 May 2017 at 11:11. Reason: late news
Old 19 May 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3734448)   #116
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Also go and have a look at the community event there was a huge attendance (that was unprecedented) and all accomodation is pretty much booked out around the venue now. In my opinion Newcastle will work where Sydney tended to faulter as it has a strong and large community base behind it
The same thing happened in the lead up to the Homebush event. There was a massive launch with people galore.

Lots of people will likely go to the Newcastle event, but it is not a great look for supposedly the third biggest Australian sport to be having its grand final 2hrs away in a regional area. No other major Australian sport does this.
Old 19 May 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3734454)   #117
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
The same thing happened in the lead up to the Homebush event. There was a massive launch with people galore.

Lots of people will likely go to the Newcastle event, but it is not a great look for supposedly the third biggest Australian sport to be having its grand final 2hrs away in a regional area. No other major Australian sport does this.
Im sorry 155 but how is that a bad look? Newcastle really is not in a regional area per say. Dubbo is a regional area for an example, Newcastle really isn't in the same bracket in my opinion

Last edited by PS2244; 19 May 2017 at 12:36.
Old 19 May 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3734459)   #118
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
The fact that Newcastle is a regional area was the deciding factor on NSW Events supporting the race.

Quote:
“The Hunter has thousands of Supercars fans who now have an event to call their own,” Mr Baird said.

“The Coates Hire Newcastle 500 will be the first Supercars race ever held in Newcastle and is another major event secured for Regional NSW.”
Source: HERE
Old 19 May 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3734550)   #119
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
The fact that Newcastle is a regional area was the deciding factor on NSW Events supporting the race.

Source: HERE
Okay that's fair I was proven wrong on that so it is thankyou, but my point stil stands I don't see what's wrong with holding
Old 19 May 2017, 22:39 (Ref:3734552)   #120
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Okay that's fair I was proven wrong on that so it is thankyou, but my point stil stands I don't see what's wrong with holding
there isn't anything wrong with holding it in Newcastle.

just some Sydney snobs debating against you. They think the world revolves around them, even though there is not one Supercars team based in Sydney.

The last round should be where the crowds attend, and Sydney continues to be not that place
Old 21 May 2017, 03:38 (Ref:3734803)   #121
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
there isn't anything wrong with holding it in Newcastle.

just some Sydney snobs debating against you. They think the world revolves around them, even though there is not one Supercars team based in Sydney.

The last round should be where the crowds attend, and Sydney continues to be not that place
Name another major Australian sport that doesn't hold it's grand final in a major city?

Supercars claims to be #3 in Australian sport afterall.
Old 21 May 2017, 05:24 (Ref:3734813)   #122
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Name another major Australian sport that doesn't hold it's grand final in a major city?

Supercars claims to be #3 in Australian sport afterall.

Supercars dont have a grand final

Newcastle is a major city. Guess you must be from Sydney.

however name another sport that has every event at a different venue. there are none, its the nature of the sport.

you are comparing sports that play nearly all there events in capital cities to a sport which has most of its events outside major cities

Not sure why being number 3 has to do with it at all. Newcastle will increase their numbers

But for the record formula 1 have there final race in one of the smaller cities on the calendar, . As does WTCC, Aust GT hold their final in the middle of no where

Last edited by peckstar; 21 May 2017 at 05:31.
Old 21 May 2017, 07:29 (Ref:3734829)   #123
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

however name another sport that has every event at a different venue. there are none, its the nature of the sport.
Golf and tennis, both local and international tours.
Old 21 May 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3734839)   #124
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Golf and tennis, both local and international tours.
Very good, Cherry picking your response, but very good
Old 21 May 2017, 08:48 (Ref:3734854)   #125
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:

The past two rounds were your local rounds, which ones did you attend, champ?