Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2012, 06:52 (Ref:3074137)   #301
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure why you would be disgusted, he drove well yesterday and deserved the win based upon the conditions.

The fact is that this year we are just as likely to see Ricciardo on the top step as anyone else, barring Karthekyian and PDLR. For me that is somewhat disturbing really, but that's what people wanted.
Old 14 May 2012, 06:57 (Ref:3074138)   #302
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
He does seem a bit sinister with that intense glare though!
Well he is funded by and good friends with wannabe dictator Hugo Chavez, who happens to be good mates with that guy who runs Iran....

Not that any of that bothers Frank Williams
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 14 May 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3074185)   #303
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The fact is that this year we are just as likely to see Ricciardo on the top step as anyone else, barring Karthekyian and PDLR. For me that is somewhat disturbing really, but that's what people wanted.
I want it. Formula 1 has always been about the best driver and team (including the car) combination
winning. It's just that now the net has been widened.
Old 14 May 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3074197)   #304
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
It disgusts me that the likes of Kubica and Rosberg have the same amount of wins as Maldonado. Maldonado is the definition of a one hit wonder
Kubica needs to be in an F1 car to do so, and Rosberg still has many races to add to his tally.

Calm it.

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3074198)   #305
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I want it. Formula 1 has always been about the best driver and team (including the car) combination
And perhaps it's an area most teams didn't concentrate enough on, yet some happened to a little better!

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3074212)   #306
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I take your point but for me the fundamentals of the sport have been given over to the spectacle. It is just daft to me that teams are penalised arbitrarily due to the behaviour of the tyres in differeng circs.

It used to be you'd get boring races with occaisional great reces, now all we see is loads of overtaking under (IMO) false pretences. Nice that Sir Frank got this win but to anyone with a soul, it must appear hollow because no doubt they'll be at the back next weekend or bumped down by a Torro Rosso.

May as well just roll a dice and have done with it.
Old 14 May 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3074213)   #307
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I understand but at the end of the season, there will still be one team and one driver with a higher championship position and it will be because they've done a better job in the circumstances than anyone.
Old 14 May 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3074235)   #308
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
There's just ALOT more variables this year. Whichever team gets that right, along with the driver racing a GOOD race (people forget this bit?!) ie. absorbing pressure, pushing hard at the right time, making the right calls.. will win the race.

What's wrong with more variables meaning more drivers in with a shot of winning?

Why should just 4 drivers be in with a shout of winning in bullet proof cars? Yes, cos they might be out and out the 'fastest', but now it's about being smart, fast, and getting your strategy right.

Driver + Team = Overall performance.

I feel that's more apparent now than the last few seasons, where clearly having the best aero was the most important aspect in F1.

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3074238)   #309
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well if you want to factor in lucky guesses on settings etc. then I see your point. Agreed it seems strange that only four teams should be in with a shout but making life difficult just to create illogical outcomes (which is what we have now) is not sport.

I continue watching simply because it is entertaining. It certainly doesn't reflect reality though.

As to one driver with more points? A moot point really seeing as currently the leader of the WDC is only leading on count back, he has the same points as his co leader.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Old 14 May 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3074243)   #310
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Problem with that comparison is that De Cesaris was never a proper front runner in anything other than 1 season of F3
Error prone he may have been, but Andrea de Cesaris was no fly by night. He whipped some very serious competition to win the 1977 World Karting Championship and that likely propelled him through the lower formulae far faster than he should have been and he landed in F1 at too young an age... less than 3 years after he lifted that karting crown.
Old 14 May 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3074248)   #311
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not sure why you would be disgusted, he drove well yesterday and deserved the win based upon the conditions.

Nothing disturbing about this at all. Maldonado wasn't dealt a different hand to anyone else. He drove incredibly well throughout the weekend and fully deserved the win.
Old 14 May 2012, 10:02 (Ref:3074257)   #312
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Nothing disturbing about this at all. Maldonado wasn't dealt a different hand to anyone else. He drove incredibly well throughout the weekend and fully deserved the win.
I think that's what I said. I am disturbed that the tyres and DRS etc. dick around with reality to the extent that it will shortly become unnecessary to build a quick car, just a car that handles the tyres (two different things), at that point we will all be complaining again.
Old 14 May 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3074272)   #313
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
I think that's what I said. I am disturbed that the tyres and DRS etc. dick around with reality to the extent that it will shortly become unnecessary to build a quick car, just a car that handles the tyres (two different things), at that point we will all be complaining again.
It's just the perspective you take on this. At the moment, the Pirelli tyres, DRS, KERS etc... represent the envelope within which you need to build a quick car. They are as much reality as anything else has ever been.
Old 14 May 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3074274)   #314
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
F1's always been about getting your head around the rules.

Technology helped predict exactly effect those rules would have on the car.

Now, the technology has overtaken technology! It's fantastic ie. the compound of tyre is SO difficult to fully grasp. It's NOT random, the teams had access to these tyres. It just so happens they work in such a strange way to what F1 teams are used to. Whomever can acclimatise to said conditions quickest, shall reap the benefits. That's never, ever changed.

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3074282)   #315
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We will have to agree to differ. I apologise for taking this off topic.
Old 14 May 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3074329)   #316
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
No problems, Peter. All about the debate!

Apologies for also going off-topic.

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3074351)   #317
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
teams are penalised arbitrarily
I'm not so sure it's happening arbitrarily. Some teams seem to be consistently getting the best out of the car (teams like a Sauber). It is however benefitting those which happen to have got this right, I agree to the detriment of others who have a 'theoretical' speed advantage. Nevertheless, in time I imagine the big teams will get a handle on what they're referring to regularly as a black art and some level of status quo will return (as will the complaints from some of boring races). So I do feel we should enjoy it while we can, and it's nice to see what are considered less big teams getting this right in the meantime, in the same way big teams have been getting aero right with their massive resources for years).

Quote:
We will have to agree to differ.
Old 15 May 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3074921)   #318
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder how many more new winners we will have this season. Almost everybody on the grid must be thinking they have a chance.

To me the most likely are either Sauber and Grosjean, then Di Resta, Hulkenburg & Senna.
Old 15 May 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3074954)   #319
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You say this as though the race outcome is entirely random; the race winners so far in this so called random season have been world champion Jenson Button, world champion Fernando Alonso, world champion Sebastian Vettel, and GP2 champions Nico Rosberg and Pastor Maldonado driving cars from world champions McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull, Williams and Mercedes (formerly Brawn).
The top four in the drivers championship are all former world champions and the top 5 teams are all former world champions.

Even with these regulations the best are still the best and its a little dismissive of the top quality performances that these guys have put in to say it is nothing more than a roll of the dice.
Based on that performance i think we will see Pastor and Williams win again soon.
Old 18 May 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3076161)   #320
Senninha25
Rookie

Madeira
Madeira Island, Portugal
Senninha25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for potentially breaking the current subject, but are there any bets on future joiners? Perez, Kobayashi? Sauber are still looking good, and Lotus is even more promising, so maybe even Grosjean could join the club this year...
Old 19 May 2012, 04:12 (Ref:3076286)   #321
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup, I would think Grosjean is the most likely.
Old 19 May 2012, 17:07 (Ref:3076515)   #322
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yup, I would think Grosjean is the most likely.
Yes I think he could well do, he's close enough to Kimi's race pace to suggest either Enstone driver is in with a chance of some wins.

If the Sauber can stay quick, and Perez gets another race where he can exploit that amazing tyre saving skill of his then I reckon he will win one as well?
Old 21 May 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3077377)   #323
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope Checo(aka Peréz) can pull off a win. Malaysia was surely a missed win for him?

Likewise I hope that Kimi and Grosjean can pull off wins.

Not sure that Senna can pull off a win. Likewise with Kobayashi. He is a good driver sure - and great at overtaking, but does he have what it takes to be a race winner? Hmmm, he'll have to prove himself on that one.

Di Resta is a probable no-no. The Force India doesn't seem to have the pace. It is still a midfield car. A podium - possibly.

I think the two drivers least likely to win are Massa and Schumi - at the moment anyway(especially poor Massa).
Old 27 May 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3254187)   #324
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
following in his dads footsteps has to be the all time classiest exit from this list.

congrats to Nico!
Old 9 Jun 2014, 04:28 (Ref:3417301)   #325
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the list Mr Ricciardo. Hopefully the first of many but it would probably need assistance from Mercedes for it to happen again this year.