Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Dec 2016, 12:04 (Ref:3698622)   #1
tonylees
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
tonylees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Measham Rally (VSCC)

Enter now, before it's too late!
Entry form here:
http://www.vssc.co.uk/servlet/blankEntr ... entID=1096
You can email your completed form to andrew.tarring@vscc.co.uk (cc: comps@vscc.co.uk just in case).
Event info:
http://www.vscc.co.uk/page/news?newsItemID=833
And, in case it's not obvious...
1. You can join the VSCC on the night.
2. If you don't have an "eligible" car, you can enter the "Champagne" class - there *will* be a trophy for this as well as a nice bottle of fizz.
3. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on (apparently).
4. Jen Lees is organising it so do as you are told and enter now.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 13:16 (Ref:3698635)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This was originally posted by Tonylees. His post seems to have disappeared in merging. Apologies.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3698656)   #3
tonylees
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
tonylees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry form here:
You can email your completed form to andrew.tarring@vscc.co.uk (cc: comps@vscc.co.uk just in case).
Event info:
2. If you don't have an "eligible" car, you can enter the "Champagne" class - there *will* be a trophy for this as well as a nice bottle of fizz.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 15:52 (Ref:3698657)   #4
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylees View Post
Entry form here:
Event info:
Presumably there will be no Cognac, Tony.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3701895)   #5
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Approaching 60 entries for this one I understand. Very good considering last year's event at Thirsk was just over 30 if I recall correctly. Change of venue etc appears to be successful so far.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 21:03 (Ref:3702171)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Seems there will be a works Talbot on the event

Gareth Burnett who has never done a VSCC rally is taking a Northern Irish Mate of his to do this.
If anyone is going tell him to remember it's cold, in the dark and the owner of the car will be mightly ****ed off if there is as much as a mark on the car when he gets back!
Old 12 Jan 2017, 21:09 (Ref:3702178)   #7
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
.....If anyone is going tell him to remember it's cold, in the dark and the owner of the car will be mightly ****ed off if there is as much as a mark on the car when he gets back!
In that case I'll make sure to post a photo or two!
Old 16 Jan 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3702871)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Seems there will be a works Talbot on the event

Gareth Burnett who has never done a VSCC rally is taking a Northern Irish Mate of his to do this.
If anyone is going tell him to remember it's cold, in the dark and the owner of the car will be mightly ****ed off if there is as much as a mark on the car when he gets back!
No pressure, then, John. Can't believe it was entered without the owner's permission though!!

Gary, some photos would indeed be good!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 21 Jan 2017, 22:33 (Ref:3704130)   #9
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Few quick shots from scrutineering and map reading prep. Not sure if the two at the back of the scrutineering bay passed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1637.JPG (838.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1643.JPG (753.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1646.JPG (467.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1645.JPG (653.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 12 Jan 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3702173)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Forgot to say that presumably having read the T and C's they are in novice class!
Old 22 Jan 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3704195)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very atmospheric, Gary. Yep if the two at the back passed, the event would really take off!

Loads of E E Lightnings left on display but only one flying, I believe (not in the UK).. A bloke strapped onto a couple of RR Avon jets; magic!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 22 Jan 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3704272)   #12
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
I stayed until just after the half-way point and got home about 5am. It was pretty cold night but not too bad I thought, only got down to -4.5C according to my car display when I left. Dry and a little bit of patchy mist here and there. Bruntingthorpe was an interesting venue and the old aircraft certainly helped with some photo backgrounds as the Leicestershire countryside was, well, not particularly photogenic (sorry Leicestershire - I'm sure its very nice in the daylight ).

Anyway, a few more shots from me.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3704273)   #13
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Last lot:
Old 22 Jan 2017, 21:02 (Ref:3704295)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Lovely, Gary! You deserve an award for services to tenths beyond the call of duty! Hope you've thawed out.

Is the red saloon an MG? Might have been a bit warmer in that.....
Old 22 Jan 2017, 21:16 (Ref:3704301)   #15
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Thanks Mike. I think the red one was a Riley Mentone (not one I've heard of before).
Old 23 Jan 2017, 06:14 (Ref:3704390)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Thanks Mike. I think the red one was a Riley Mentone (not one I've heard of before).
Nor me, but I want one!
Old 23 Jan 2017, 10:15 (Ref:3704429)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, the Mentone is lovely. Looks like a Monaco saloon but maybe bigger? Hard to tell with nothing to scale it with.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 12:03 (Ref:3704450)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yes, the Mentone is lovely. Looks like a Monaco saloon but maybe bigger? Hard to tell with nothing to scale it with.
Well, here's one I missed-

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19280/lot/353/
Old 23 Jan 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3704455)   #19
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
It did look very nice. It was driven by a Mr Riley! Couple of photos to help with scale:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSCC Measham Rally 2017_0075_10Tenths.jpg (866.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg VSCC Measham Rally 2017_0080_10Tenths.jpg (700.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 23 Jan 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3704471)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well, I think it looks like a Monaco but with a bigger engine. The Monaco was a 'Nine' about 1100cc 4 cylinder, whereas the Bonham car Mike has linked to is a 1500cc 6 cylinder and a bit later? It's lovely anyway, as most prewar and early post war Rileys were.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 14:06 (Ref:3704483)   #21
NHSL
Rookie

NHSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bonhams description is pretty much correct, adding two cylinders to the 1,087cc 9HP gave you 1,630cc and a 14HP rating.

As vehicle road tax until after the war was based on these nominal HP ratings it made sense to produce a version at 1500cc which then became a 12 HP and saved quite a bit of money on road tax. It's the exact equivalent now of the low emission versions of modern cars designed to get into a lower VED band, nothing new under the sun.

The six cylinder engines were fine - ERA's use a supercharged version of them after all - but in 1934 Rileys introduced a 4 cylinder 1,496cc engine, the 12/4 which was probably one of the best engines ever designed and was cheaper to make, lighter and more powerful than the sixes, so they were phased out.

As mentioned above, it stayed in production until 1957, and the only reason it was dropped was on cost grounds by the BMC accountants. Often 20% or more of any VSCC meeting is powered by the 12/4 engine, and like MGB or XK engines plenty of development has gone on, and most now shove out over 100 bhp with complete reliability.

PS If you want a Mentone, there's one for sale currently at £21,500 with a German dealer.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3704498)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks Nick. Must be an age thing as I'm slowly getting more interested in pre-war cars!

I found a Cream and Brown Mentone for sale in Netherlands- is that the one you refer to?

And 'wanting one' or 'having the money to buy one' are very different!

Last edited by Mike Bell; 23 Jan 2017 at 16:17. Reason: sp- Netherlands!
Old 23 Jan 2017, 15:34 (Ref:3704500)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd love a C Type midget. So it must be an age thing.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3704508)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'd love a C Type midget. So it must be an age thing.
And you're a youngster!
Old 23 Jan 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3704512)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm.