Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2678459)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best overtaking move in F1 history

Simple. Everyone nominate a driver / race / details, and we discuss those moves!

My first nominee, I know there are better, and they will be mentioned.

Mark Webber, Chinese GP, 2009, v. Jenson Button, round those sweeping turns at the back of the track, in the wet. Stunning.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 23 Apr 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2678463)   #2
richie_h
Rookie

richie_h should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansel v. Piquet British GP in to stowe. cant remember the year.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2678504)   #3
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkkinen on TGF at Spa.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2678507)   #4
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not a fan of him personally, but Nelson Piquet's move on Ayrton Senna at Hungary in 1986 was unbelievably good. Great car control and fantastic pass on a guy who was, if I recall, pretty good at making his car very wide!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkirs...eature=related

As far as the greatest overtaker is concerned I'd go for Nigel Mansell. Silverstone 1987 was good, as was his move on Senna at Hungary in 1989 and the pass around the outside of Gerhard Berger at Mexico in 1990 (on old tyres!).
Old 23 Apr 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2678509)   #5
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
Hakkkinen on TGF at Spa.
+1
Old 23 Apr 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2678561)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
I'm not a fan of him personally, but Nelson Piquet's move on Ayrton Senna at Hungary in 1986 was unbelievably good. Great car control and fantastic pass on a guy who was, if I recall, pretty good at making his car very wide!

As far as the greatest overtaker is concerned I'd go for Nigel Mansell. Silverstone 1987 was good, as was his move on Senna at Hungary in 1989 and the pass around the outside of Gerhard Berger at Mexico in 1990 (on old tyres!).
Totally agree with the Piquet on Senna move. Without doubt the best move ive ever seen, nothing else compares.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2678579)   #7
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Totally agree with the Piquet on Senna move. Without doubt the best move ive ever seen, nothing else compares.
At the risk of bandwagon jumping me too, awesome!
Old 23 Apr 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2678591)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And at the risk of it seeming like I didn't consult the past much, Button on Buemi- Interlagos 2009.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2678593)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suppose moves can never get beyond a certain point of greatness, because there's a limit of adhesion. Some of the moves that were nearly great led to a binned car in the wall and no kudos.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2678597)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Jacques Villeneuve on Michael Schumacher. Around the outside of the Parabolica curve, 1996 Portuguese GP.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2678599)   #11
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Jacques Villeneuve on Michael Schumacher. Around the outside of the Parabolica curve, 1996 Portuguese GP.
Is it me or have the FIA/FOM destroyed this thread, so frustrating that we can't link to videos of the more recent examples
Old 23 Apr 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2678601)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Mansell on Berger, Mexico City 1990

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2g1yrGputA

Mainly for Murray's high pitch.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2678605)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Just watched the Button one I mentioned, and admittedly it wasn't that great. Very controlled though. Maybe Button's smooth style is deceiving me and it actually is great.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2678607)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Is it me or have the FIA/FOM destroyed this thread, so frustrating that we can't link to videos of the more recent examples
I have a Damon Hill 1996 VHS somewhere with pit radio and everything in that Estoril race, fantastic stuff.

JV: "I am going to try around the outside"

Williams: "We will come and pick you out of the barrier then"
Old 23 Apr 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2678628)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2g1yrGputA

Mainly for Murray's high pitch.
Agreed, simply stunning.

One that i really stands out from recent times was Juan Pablo v Kimi at Hockenheim in 2002 iirc. went on for half a lap, most enjoyable.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2678630)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I have a Damon Hill 1996 VHS
Sorry to go off topic, but how ancient does VHS sound now!!
Old 23 Apr 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2678650)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
At the risk of bandwagon jumping me too, awesome!
Agreed. And if anyone remember it was on his second try...
Old 23 Apr 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2678697)   #18
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, apparently going around the outside was easier than going down the inside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Sorry to go off topic, but how ancient does VHS sound now!!
Yeah, and my Dad and I have got hundreds of races on tape. I suppose we should transfer them ready for when you can't get video players any more!

I agree JV on Schuey at Estoril in 1996. Had the pleasure of talking to him about it and he obviously rather enjoyed doing that to Schuey, but was upset he'd never seen a decent picture of it...

Just to throw another one in: Gilles Villeneuve's move on Rene Arnoux into turn one at Dijon 1979. I think the battle itself is a tad over-rated, but the move with all four wheels locked up is pretty mega, especially as he makes the apex.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2678707)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I was never really that impressed by this. A far better example of a similar thing is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
By far.

I go for the Piquet on Senna at Hungaroring. Great stuff. As I am sure I have said in previous threads
Old 23 Apr 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2678722)   #20
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
They satisfy for different reasons. Piquet on Senna was sheer bloody-minded balls-out-ness, going way beyond what the car should have been capable of to overtake the unpassable. Mansell on Piquet was a touch of genius, the move seemingly worked out laps before, the dummy bought and the race won.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2678757)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I was never really that impressed by this. A far better example of a similar thing is:By far.

I go for the Piquet on Senna at Hungaroring. Great stuff. As I am sure I have said in previous threads
Agreed on all counts.

Of course, I can't go without mentioning JPM on Schumi at Interlagos in 2001, just because of what it meant.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 23:28 (Ref:2678761)   #23
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5h-HTv9d4c
Old 23 Apr 2010, 23:40 (Ref:2678765)   #24
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
Agreed on this. Here's the onboard from Alonso, just takes the corner as if Schumacher isn't there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLZLxT1ZEPA
Old 24 Apr 2010, 00:16 (Ref:2678780)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Simply the best.