Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Oct 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2778484)   #76
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one question comes to mind about that link Pingguest.

Haug is paraphrased as saying the current F1 engine suppliers are concerned about "revolutionary rule changes" and are looking for stability post 2012. certainly relevant concerns but my question is wont Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari, and Cosworth all be making their own GRE for the other series they are involved in anyways?
obviously matching the new engine to a F1 chassis will require some serious rethinking/spending etc, but really how costly would changing be particularly if they can call upon the budgets of their other series to help average out the costs of developing the GRE? surely it cant be more expensive than their move from a v10 to v8?
Old 22 Oct 2010, 18:05 (Ref:2778486)   #77
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I would take a V6 turbo, they would sound lush.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2778573)   #78
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I would take a V6 turbo, they would sound lush.
Love to hear a V12 turbo!
Old 22 Oct 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2778588)   #79
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like turbo V8s; the Cosworth DFX was a great engine.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 04:29 (Ref:2779173)   #80
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I like turbo V8s; the Cosworth DFX was a great engine.
The DFX was good but the Can Am Porsche 917/30 turbo was the most impressive car I have ever seen race!
Old 24 Oct 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2779232)   #81
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The DFX was good but the Can Am Porsche 917/30 turbo was the most impressive car I have ever seen race!
It powered the CART Indycar series for years.

I got to see that car do some parade laps, many years ago.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 01:02 (Ref:2780964)   #82
wnut
Veteran

Just for the hell of it, and to remind everyone what a racing car should look like!

This was a race car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT6bJ...eature=related

5.4 litre flat 12 turbo 1500bhp!

Global racing engine be damned!
Old 27 Oct 2010, 03:05 (Ref:2780982)   #83
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Just for the hell of it, and to remind everyone what a racing car should look like!

This was a race car!

mmmmm. I was lucky enough to see the Sunoco Car at the Phillip Island Historics a couple of years ago, with Jim Richards doing a few laps. Awesome car.

Agree re global engines.... I miss the days of all the different sounds from different types of engine, V12's V8s Flat 12's etc.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 03:13 (Ref:2780985)   #84
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

This was a race car!

Great machine though it was, it sounded the death nell of Can Am. Typical Roger Penske. Mark Donohue, what might have been?
Old 10 Nov 2010, 13:43 (Ref:2788081)   #85
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it was linked by its author, I read this document about what regulatory framework motor sports in general and Formula 1 in particular should have.
http://www.divergentgovernance.co.uk...Governance.pdf

Motor sport should adopt a divergent governance, resulting in the current geometric framework being replaced by a parametric framework. The author proposes a 'hybrid' parametric framework for Formula 1.
The document absolutely worth complete reading.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2788101)   #86
Mach3
Rookie

Mach3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
As it was linked by its author, I read this document about what regulatory framework motor sports in general and Formula 1 in particular should have.

Motor sport should adopt a divergent governance, resulting in the current geometric framework being replaced by a parametric framework. The author proposes a 'hybrid' parametric framework for Formula 1.
Thanks for the link - an interesting read but I must admit I got a few paras in before I got lost.

There are complex solutions, but another idea has already been mentioned - 5.4 litre flat 12 turbo 1500bhp!!

Try going to a race and not being blown away when that thing is screaming around!
Old 10 Nov 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2788111)   #87
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3 View Post
Thanks for the link - an interesting read but I must admit I got a few paras in before I got lost.
A 'complete' parametric framework contains a number of parameters to be connected to another. This created relationship could be linear or non-linear. An simplistic example is a linear relationship between engine power and weight: the more power an engine produces, the heavier the cars should be.

For Formula 1 the author proposes a 'hybrid' framework: instead of mandating a number of cylinders or a specific capacity, the FIA should only reduce fuel consumption. Instead of mandating specific tyre dimensions, the FIA should only limit the number of tyres available. This would propose economy, efficiency and longevity.

For a full understanding of this document, mathematical insight or knowledge may be useful. However, even I as a law student managed to understand the principles lied down in the document.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 18:12 (Ref:2788189)   #88
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post

Thanks, I'll give that a good read.