Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver is going to win the VASC Driver’s Championship In 2018?
#1 Jamie Whincup RBHRT Holden 6 14.63%
#2 Scott Pye WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#5 Mark Winterbottom Tickford Ford 0 0%
#6 Cameron Waters Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#7 Andre Heimgartner NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#8 Nick Percat BJR Holden 0 0%
#9 David Reynolds Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#12 Fabian Coulthard DJRTP Ford 1 2.44%
#14 Tim Slade BJR Holden 0 0%
#15 Rick Kelly NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#17 Scott McLaughlin DJRTP Ford 22 53.66%
#18 Lee Holdsworth Team18 Holden 0 0%
#19 Jack Le Brocq Tekno Holden 0 0%
#21 Tim Blanchard TBR Holden 0 0%
#23 Michael Caruso NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#25 James Courtney WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#33 Garth Tander GRM Holden 0 0%
#34 James Golding GRM Holden 0 0%
#35 Todd Hazelwood MSR Ford 0 0%
#55 Chaz Mostert Tickford Ford 4 9.76%
#56 Richie Stanaway Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#78 Simona de Silvestro NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#97 Shane van Gisbergen RBHRT Holden 2 4.88%
#99 Anton de Pasquale Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#230 Will Davison 23RED Ford 0 0%
#888 Craig Lowndes ALR Holden 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Aug 2017, 00:28 (Ref:3758508)   #651
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Supercar Young Driver Academy For 2018
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Aug 2017, 00:39 (Ref:3758511)   #652
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
You would want to be careful about getting into bed with Screko Lorbek from his many failings over the journey
Trying to understand this comment, obviously im missing a key person of info?
Old 10 Aug 2017, 01:24 (Ref:3758515)   #653
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
RYAN, if you are out there. I hope you are listening.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 01:27 (Ref:3758516)   #654
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Trying to understand this comment, obviously im missing a key person of info?

Refer post 647 GTR Magic -

The new piece of information is the RFR limited edition Black & Gold Mustangs available through Mr Lorbek. Product in direct competition arguably to the Tickford branded similar products.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 01:30 (Ref:3758518)   #655
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
Refer post 647 GTR Magic -

The new piece of information is the RFR limited edition Black & Gold Mustangs available through Mr Lorbek. Product in direct competition arguably to the Tickford branded similar products.
cheers thanks, i was thinking you were referring to the Matt stone link and thus was misunderstanding your comment.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 05:04 (Ref:3758539)   #656
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is it me or does the Rusty French Racing moniker hold very little appeal?

Maybe it is too many memories of poorly prepared Porsches and other sports cars.

As a kid I would always be excited to see Rusty's name on the entry list - undoubtedly the car entered would be loud and fast, but just as likely to not start or DNF than achieve any kind of reasonable finish.

Maybe it is just me.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 05:18 (Ref:3758540)   #657
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
an interesting merry go round awaits us
Old 10 Aug 2017, 07:45 (Ref:3758557)   #658
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Is it me or does the Rusty French Racing moniker hold very little appeal?

Maybe it is too many memories of poorly prepared Porsches and other sports cars.

As a kid I would always be excited to see Rusty's name on the entry list - undoubtedly the car entered would be loud and fast, but just as likely to not start or DNF than achieve any kind of reasonable finish.

Maybe it is just me.
I'm with you (although his cars were competitive and reliable at times). He DID have Judy Green as his companion/umbrella holder and THAT is one of my abiding memories of Rusty French Racing!
Old 10 Aug 2017, 12:51 (Ref:3758616)   #659
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The discussion around Mr Stone potentially joining the main game makes for all kinds of possibilities, when a deal does not currently seem to have already been done for a REC.

The simple requirement for an entry in no particular order, is a team, a car, a driver and a REC, plus the dollars to run the thing.

Team is covered...
Quote:
And Mr Gomersall is firm in his commitment to support MSR to go to the main game...

Might be interesting if the is sufficient room in their existing shed, however with RSR back inside the SBR mother ship, maybe there is a possibility of a relocation. Presumably a couple of the part timers would need to become full timers in a main game package..

Car in interesting...
Mr Gomersall reported in the above article that he owns both the current ex-888 Hazelwood Dunlop series car and the ex-Tekno Marjoram chassis

Yet that might not be all. In the previous edition of AA, Mr Dane was quoted as saying that 888 currently has 6 Commodore/Insignia chassis in build. Mr Dane would not state who these are earmarked for, but it doesn't take a genius to figure there are probably 4 for 888 (Whincup/Van Gisbergen/Lowndes/V6 Turbo Wildcard) which leaves 2 chassis unaccounted for. Logical positioning would be Team 18 and Tekno, but what if it's not...what if one of the new car customers is actually Mr Gomersall as well...

Latest kit would be better/more competitive than what would then be a 2 year old car by then, and starting a spare parts pile on something that will be in spec for a few seasons, and updatable isn't as silly as it sounds

Driver seems set...
Mr Gomersall is definitely a fan of Mr Hazelwood. Plenty of good noise out of BJR about him also... so.. a tick..

A REC is interesting...
The usual source is Mr Dumbrell's ailing outfit. Although I bet with the blood in the water by way of Mr Gomersall's interest, the price just went up

Yet what if there was another way, another REC.

If there was a fully sponsored REC sitting somewhere that might be moveable, where the prep arrangement is a handshake... and the sponsorship is rusted onto the pilot, but the pilot is considering other opportunities.

It would be a strategic win for Mr Blanchard to potentially shift his REC, and his CoolDrive backing into the Gomersall/MSR option. A brand new chassis from 888 (assumed) ongoing technical assistance from same, a solid budget from CoolDrive and iSeek and BigMateGPS to make the thing sing and dance. And a pilot already chosen to be in that car this year.

A step up in possibility for the Blanchard REC in car and support and backing.

Could be... might be... might not be...

But does actually have some merit...
Old 10 Aug 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3758620)   #660
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too, pondered the Blanchard REC.

Surely BJR won't miss it, given how much they have on their plate already.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 22:29 (Ref:3758690)   #661
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Mr Bright expecting to stay for 2018: Keeping on
Old 11 Aug 2017, 00:17 (Ref:3758702)   #662
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's see how far this upward swing in form takes him.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 00:24 (Ref:3758704)   #663
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Yep, one race meeting isn't a good indicator. I've always seen him as OK with the odd flash of more than OK, enough to win some races but not consistent.

When there is someone of the calibre of Mr Stanaway in the wings at PRA, maybe the journeyman who owns the REC should take the opportunity to step down with grace but then again he DOES own the REC and he is certainly not down to the level of a Thexton.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 03:31 (Ref:3758719)   #664
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Yep, one race meeting isn't a good indicator. I've always seen him as OK with the odd flash of more than OK, enough to win some races but not consistent.

When there is someone of the calibre of Mr Stanaway in the wings at PRA, maybe the journeyman who owns the REC should take the opportunity to step down with grace but then again he DOES own the REC and he is certainly not down to the level of a Thexton.
There were some AFL players that retired this week that are still more competitive than Bright currently is in his chosen sport.

If Bright wants his legacy to be of the "silly old fool" variety (to paraphrase R. Ingall) he is going the right way about it.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 03:49 (Ref:3758720)   #665
Umai Naa
Veteran

Who's still in the championship from his era ('90s)?

Tander, Todd Kelly, Steve Richards (enduros), Paul Dumbrell (enduros) and Lowndes. Have I missed anyone? You could've almost added Cam McConville to that list too, up until Townsville...
Old 11 Aug 2017, 04:12 (Ref:3758722)   #666
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Who's still in the championship from his era ('90s)?

Tander, Todd Kelly, Steve Richards (enduros), Paul Dumbrell (enduros) and Lowndes. Have I missed anyone? You could've almost added Cam McConville to that list too, up until Townsville...
surely not dumbrell, 9 years younger and didnt race in 90s
Old 11 Aug 2017, 05:05 (Ref:3758724)   #667
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
surely not dumbrell, 9 years younger and didnt race in 90s
Except when he did.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 05:16 (Ref:3758725)   #668
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Except when he did.
Not in Supercars, which was the question, well ok, maybe an enduro role in 99 but didnt have a full time drive in the championship to 2002

PD is the same age as Jdub. That would be more PDs era

Last edited by peckstar; 11 Aug 2017 at 05:22.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 06:00 (Ref:3758728)   #669
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Except when he did.
1999 with JFR would that be. Not full time Championship. In terms of Championship full time it was 2003
Old 11 Aug 2017, 06:02 (Ref:3758729)   #670
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Not in Supercars, which was the question, well ok, maybe an enduro role in 99 but didnt have a full time drive in the championship to 2002

PD is the same age as Jdub. That would be more PDs era
Youngest debutant at 18. At that stage.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 06:35 (Ref:3758737)   #671
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Is form really the determinant of Mr Bright's future?

Owning the REC (and apparently keeping the REC income) probably means his income stream remains constant with or without a race drive.

If the sponsor is okay with his performance in what seems very much like a 4th stringer, maybe situation normal for #56 in '18
Old 11 Aug 2017, 06:48 (Ref:3758740)   #672
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Is form really the determinant of Mr Bright's future?

Owning the REC (and apparently keeping the REC income) probably means his income stream remains constant with or without a race drive.

If the sponsor is okay with his performance in what seems very much like a 4th stringer, maybe situation normal for #56 in '18
Fair points.

However, one would think that if this newfound speed turns out to be nothing more than a flash in the pan, he may reconsider.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 06:50 (Ref:3758741)   #673
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Has anyone questioned the team. Maybe it isn't Bright, its partially the team. Looking at their placings, it isn't spectacular. 5th, 6th, 8th and 21st. No car is in title contention and the team is a thousand miles from the teams title. PRA have had a huge fall in form given the form from 2015. Even before then they still had form. Now the team is battling for top 10s. Its not the drivers, as we see, Frosty certainly isn't past it, Chaz and Cam have the talent, yet no car is near the title fight. Maybe Rusty and Rod need to have a good look at their team, again, in the off season.

I say this as a PRA fan too
Old 11 Aug 2017, 07:08 (Ref:3758748)   #674
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5th
6th
8th

I reckon that's pretty good!
Old 11 Aug 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3758749)   #675
Umai Naa
Veteran

Overall the third best team, collectively.