Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Jan 2017, 06:57 (Ref:3704395)   #76
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Where has PJ gone??
Story Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Jan 2017, 01:02 (Ref:3704619)   #77
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For anyone interested Supercars said in an article that they're building the gen 2 engine in america
Old 24 Jan 2017, 01:05 (Ref:3704620)   #78
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gen2 Commodore render emerges

Old 24 Jan 2017, 01:12 (Ref:3704621)   #79
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
That looks awesome
Old 24 Jan 2017, 03:07 (Ref:3704638)   #80
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a render, from a bloke who previously released a render for the Mustang, and he has an affiliation with DJRTP. It's not official in anyway. Scott mustn't have any holidays booked or ssMedia has no work, and he is punching some homework out to increase his exposure (read: free advertising). Slow news day at Supercars and Speedcafe obviously.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 03:20 (Ref:3704641)   #81
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Its a render, from a bloke who previously released a render for the Mustang, and he has an affiliation with DJRTP. It's not official in anyway. Scott mustn't have any holidays booked or ssMedia has no work, and he is punching some homework out to increase his exposure (read: free advertising). Slow news day at Supercars and Speedcafe obviously.
yeah its all in the article

of interest from the article

Quote:
While details of the engine have not yet been confirmed publicly, a Holden insider told supercars.com the engine was tested on a dyno in the last fortnight with a working group established in North America, after an estimated 5.5 thousand hours of work on the project.
shame on Suipercars discussing new vehicles in the off season
Old 24 Jan 2017, 05:05 (Ref:3704654)   #82
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've got an idea, with all the modern cars looking so similar, it's hard to tell an Opel (OK Commodore) from a Kia from a Volvo, perhaps they could use a generic body and just paint on the highlights, I bet nobody has thought of that before. Oh wait........
Old 24 Jan 2017, 05:18 (Ref:3704656)   #83
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
I've got an idea, with all the modern cars looking so similar, it's hard to tell an Opel (OK Commodore) from a Kia from a Volvo, perhaps they could use a generic body and just paint on the highlights, I bet nobody has thought of that before. Oh wait........
That concept has since been rectified in NASCAR.

Not much is shared between the three makes, with regards to the sheet metal these days.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3704682)   #84
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a Mazda 6 with Commodore written down the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 Jan 2017, 10:05 (Ref:3704710)   #85
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
Looks like a Mazda 6 with Commodore written down the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could include a couple of other makes out of Asia, and if you did compare a few Euro's and some new Us designs , they all tend to have a similar shape just a few cosmetic fronts, and rears to differentiate the makes.

As we see now, most Auto manufacturers are linked in certain cars, vans, sharing the same platform,( floor pan,chassis etc) , for instance
VW Group, whats the main difference , with Audi, Skoda and VW sedans,
It just makes sense to to run the same basics , with some different lights and grilles. Renault , Fiat etc are doing the same

Hyundai, Kia, Toyota , Suzuki, some of the Chinese, and now some of the USA, when you look at what they are planning for 2020

I do remember as an employee of the old General Motors Holden, they where looking at the J Car philosophy in the late 70's , A standard platform world wide with cosmetic changes to front and rear to suit the tastes of the local market

So it took 40 + years , but looks like it is happening
Old 24 Jan 2017, 10:08 (Ref:3704711)   #86
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I do remember as an employee of the old General Motors Holden, they where looking at the J Car philosophy in the late 70's , A standard platform world wide with cosmetic changes to front and rear to suit the tastes of the local market
That was the Camira mate!

Then later the Cruze I guess!

But if you're suggesting there is some huge model sharing going on between various makes? You're way off the mark.

Trends make cars of the same era look similar.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3704726)   #87
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can only do so much with a 3-box sedan bodyshape.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 11:31 (Ref:3704728)   #88
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bargs has been going with the swap a panel concept in nz this summer.
http://tinyurl.com/jyo4xl2
Old 25 Jan 2017, 03:32 (Ref:3704905)   #89
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All the jobs previously undertaken by the small group at Holden Motorsport, in supporting teams in so many areas.. who has now taken on that responsibility?

And who has taken on homologating engines & chassis & aero for the new model, and has the gravitas to have all of those areas signed off within Holden to assure alignment & ongoing support?

Is 888 now the supplier of all this technical information & services for the whole Holden field?
Old 25 Jan 2017, 03:46 (Ref:3704907)   #90
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
All the jobs previously undertaken by the small group at Holden Motorsport, in supporting teams in so many areas.. who has now taken on that responsibility?
Does that responsibility exist anymore?

Quote:
And who has taken on homologating engines & chassis & aero for the new model, and has the gravitas to have all of those areas signed off within Holden to assure alignment & ongoing support?
Am I wrong to assume Triple 8 will be the ones wholly and solely responsible for these type of HMS issues? At a cost to others, of course....

Quote:
Is 888 now the supplier of all this technical information & services for the whole Holden field?
I'd guess that's how it's going to work, Uncle Roland will clear your cheque and help you out...
Old 25 Jan 2017, 04:21 (Ref:3704910)   #91
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Does Uncle Roland know that he is doing that just yet? Or are the teams?
Perhaps not..
Old 25 Jan 2017, 22:48 (Ref:3705099)   #92
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Quote:
Does Uncle Roland know that he is doing that just yet? Or are the teams?
Perhaps not..

Looks like Holden want a similar arrangement to what they originally had with the racing division of Brock's HDT operation.

Which if so, suggests the Walkinshaw operation, which replaced the Brock-HDT factory arrangement, has been something of a disappointment, or even a failure.

It would sure be interesting to know all the goings-on within the decisions which were made.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 21:16 (Ref:3705656)   #93
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
yeah its all in the article

of interest from the article

shame on Suipercars discussing new vehicles in the off season
So do a story on the engine rather than advertise someones press release of their abilities in graphic design
Old 9 Feb 2017, 02:15 (Ref:3711085)   #94
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr McNamara apparently left Holden as head of Motorsport & Sponsorship on Friday 3rd February, future not announced..
Old 9 Feb 2017, 02:22 (Ref:3711087)   #95
Umai Naa
Veteran

I read somewhere the other day, that Peter Hughes, HMS in-house designer, is also no longer employed.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 02:28 (Ref:3711089)   #96
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I read somewhere the other day, that Peter Hughes, HMS in-house designer, is also no longer employed.
The impact of this stuff isn't today, or tomorrow, or next year... but in 5 years time...

Shortsightedness all over...
Old 9 Feb 2017, 02:32 (Ref:3711090)   #97
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard some rumblings that a certain fairly competitive team has been told no more Holden support. Is this happening with all non-T8 teams?
Old 9 Feb 2017, 02:37 (Ref:3711093)   #98
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Heard some rumblings that a certain fairly competitive team has been told no more Holden support. Is this happening with all non-T8 teams?
There isn't anyone in the building to provide support

Be interesting to see what windscreen signage is on the LDM cars this year..
Old 9 Feb 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3711099)   #99
Umai Naa
Veteran

I believe that Holden windscreen banner was paying Mr Percat's wages, courtesy of Mr McNamara.

#8, #14, and #21 only saw minor Holden signage throughout last season, if at all.

#4 and #9 also carried the branding, but it was mentioned by Betty K, that they did kick the tin to some extent.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 05:49 (Ref:3711129)   #100
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Mr McNamara apparently left Holden as head of Motorsport & Sponsorship on Friday 3rd February, future not announced..