Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 9 Oct 2016, 16:20 (Ref:3678685)   #151
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I saw Damon talking about it at the AI this year and also read an article about it in the Guardian and it certainly sounds like the honest Damon we always got
Old 9 Oct 2016, 16:51 (Ref:3678690)   #152
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Mrs Viva bought me Damon's book for my birthday last month. I'm awaiting the chance to read it. but all these comments are making me impatient!
Old 17 Oct 2016, 07:28 (Ref:3680847)   #153
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
The Redman book is excellent - despite its awful title and terrible cover.

Mark Hughes was involved with the ghosting , it appears , and it is beautifully written , insightful , hugely informative and with a lovely dry wit. The photos are superb- some I have seen before but many were new to me. The most bizzare is the Gerhard Mitter funeral cortege ; seven works Porsche drivers in race overalls walking by a 911 with a coffin on top- with poor Mitter's race helmet on the front of the bloody coffin. Surreal and ghastly.

But a great book from a great driver- and so much nicer to read than either the near paranoid ramblings of the moustachioed one or the simply woeful effort from our kilted friend ...
There are two Mark Hughes, the chap who works for EVRO, the publishers of the Redman book, is not the F1 Mark Hughes. Both have worked for Autosport..........just at different times.

And yes, you are right, the Redman book is great.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 23:10 (Ref:3684647)   #154
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Damon Hill's recently published autobiography is outstanding. I have reviewed it for speedreaders.info - if not on front page search by reviewer -John A.

Anyway- just a great book, very personal and a real contrast to the drivel we have seen from some drivers . To his great credit 95% +of the book is written by Damon himself.
Our local bookshop has got Damon coming to talk about his book next Monday. I managed to get a ticket.
Old 2 Nov 2016, 08:55 (Ref:3684694)   #155
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Johnny Herbert has a book out too - I may stick that on my Christmas list. Has anyone read that yet?
Old 2 Nov 2016, 08:58 (Ref:3684695)   #156
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tomorrow will see the launch of this history of Maserati

I am looking forward to the event.
Old 2 Nov 2016, 11:46 (Ref:3684722)   #157
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That's the first time I've heard Johnny has written a book
Old 2 Nov 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3684753)   #158
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown View Post
Our local bookshop has got Damon coming to talk about his book next Monday. I managed to get a ticket.
Went to a talk he did a couple of months ago when it came out, got myself a personal signed copy! Great read, like others have alluded, a very personal account and lots of honesty as ever.

Adding to the list I will recommend "Beast" by Jade Gurss (Story of Ilmor/Penske Stock Block 94' Indy engine). Feels more like a spy thriller at times than a technical read!
Old 4 Nov 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3685331)   #159
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That's the first time I've heard Johnny has written a book
Link here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/05930783...I34DFHYI0KH0NQ

The wife has asked me what I want for Christmas - in the absence of any other ideas (realistic ones at least) I may ask for this.
Old 4 Nov 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3685336)   #160
S griffin
Veteran

Seems like you've asked for a good present for xmas, the sample is well worth a butchers
Old 4 Nov 2016, 16:40 (Ref:3685341)   #161
Samoan Attorney
Racer

For those interested in the Maserati book I produced a brief account of the evening, Surtees was mighty, sharp and full of stories, we could have gone on all night.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 16:24 (Ref:3687641)   #162
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going through the book Can-Am: 50th Anniversary, by George Levy. It's relatively new, and I think I'm probably one of the first to borrow it from the Toronto Public Library.
It's a large book filled mostly with many great photos. Although the chapters are arranged by year, it is not a recounting of every single race (like the 1995 Can-Am book by Pete Lyons), but stories the author compiled from interviews with over 75 people.
Btw, Martin Revson, father of Peter, Doug, and their sister Jennifer (the book has a brief interview with her), died in May at the age of 105.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 17:55 (Ref:3698843)   #163
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Johnny Herbert has a book out too - I may stick that on my Christmas list. Has anyone read that yet?
Yes- my review is on speedreaders.info . Sadly , I found it an amateurish work -but with some interesting insights . Compared to Damon Hill's superb book Johnny's is lightweight and also in serious need of a thorough edit.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3698991)   #164
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Yes- my review is on speedreaders.info . Sadly , I found it an amateurish work -but with some interesting insights . Compared to Damon Hill's superb book Johnny's is lightweight and also in serious need of a thorough edit.
You mean each book matches each other's height?
Old 29 Dec 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3699020)   #165
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree, I was lucky to meet Damon at one of his book signing evenings before Christmas and am halfway through the read -very impressed, more so than the evening booksigning.
I also have the same form nigel Mansell after meeting him personally, this book is written more from a me to you side where it has not been overl modded and re-written, more pick up a pen and write your thoughts down, more that he s talking to you (weirdly described) sorry!!
Overall I would recommend Damon's first.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 09:02 (Ref:3699079)   #166
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I really enjoyed reading Damon's book and am currently enjoying reading Johnny's. Of course the books are different, they're written by (and about) different people. Damon's is more serious, and Johnny is his usual cheeky chappy self. Both are quite harrowing and detailed in places, but are very interesting incites into their lives.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 18:56 (Ref:3699736)   #167
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has anybody read Ross Brawn's book Total Competition, if is it worth getting?

Thanks for your help in anticipation.
Old 3 Jan 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3699909)   #168
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Has anybody read Ross Brawn's book Total Competition, if is it worth getting?

Thanks for your help in anticipation.
I'm working my way through it at the moment and finding it another interesting read. (Especially as I was able to pick up a copy for only £6.00 brand new!) Lots of behind the scenes information (but also, fo me, a bit too much philosophy...)
Old 6 Jan 2017, 11:12 (Ref:3700514)   #169
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Well I got the Johnny Herbert book and the Mark Webber book - not started either yet (finishing off the book I'm currently reading). Looking forward to both.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3700519)   #170
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Well I got the Johnny Herbert book and the Mark Webber book - not started either yet (finishing off the book I'm currently reading). Looking forward to both.
I can strongly recommend both Bert, I enjoyed reading them anyway!
Old 6 Jan 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3700678)   #171
S griffin
Veteran

One person I'd love to see write an Autobiography is Derek Warwick. He has so many stories to tell. Being a star in F3 and F2, his heroics in the Tolemann, disappointment at Renault, Senna's veto at Lotus, various accidents he walked away from, the tragic death of his brother, winning the WSC, his time in the BTCC, running 888 and his own Honda dealership, moving to the Isle of Wight, being a driver steward and now running the BRDC
Old 7 Jan 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3700753)   #172
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
One person I'd love to see write an Autobiography is Derek Warwick. He has so many stories to tell. Being a star in F3 and F2, his heroics in the Tolemann, disappointment at Renault, Senna's veto at Lotus, various accidents he walked away from, the tragic death of his brother, winning the WSC, his time in the BTCC, running 888 and his own Honda dealership, moving to the Isle of Wight, being a driver steward and now running the BRDC
Yes, that would make for an interesting read. A fighter and someone who's raced in a diverse number of categories, wasn't he also World Stock Car Champion once too?
Old 7 Jan 2017, 10:43 (Ref:3700770)   #173
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yes, that would make for an interesting read. A fighter and someone who's raced in a diverse number of categories, wasn't he also World Stock Car Champion once too?
Yes that's right, back in the 70s before he switched to single seaters
Old 10 Jan 2017, 14:30 (Ref:3701596)   #174
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There's a quite a few inaccuracies in Johnny's book which may well be the writer getting a few things muddle up but all the same it is a good read.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3701734)   #175
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Johnny's claim that , with Gachot and Hulkenberg, he was the only F1 driver to win Le Mans wasn't even nearly wrong.. ever hear of Rindt, G Hill , Gurney, Amon, Pescarolo etc, etc?

Sadly , it is a sloppily written book but still one which, with some rigorous sub editing , might just have been the book its subject deserved .