Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Oct 2003, 10:46 (Ref:759264)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans Support Races

Quick question - can anyone tell me when the practice of running a support race on Saturday morning started at Le Mans?

And in the absence of anything like an entry list in all of the programmes I have, where would one look for competitor details or race results?
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:42 (Ref:759450)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The first one I remember was in 1992, those awful spyders. I've been going since 86 and I don't recall a support before 92. The only race results I can help with are those from the first Legends suppoort race, but you're bound to have that info already.....
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:57 (Ref:759478)   #3
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Scratches head. You probably know this, so more of general interest than anything else.

1999: Renault Clio V6s

Lots of panel bashing at the Ford chicane

2000: Ferrari/Maserati classics

Some lovely cars, possibly a David Piper victory in a 250LM

2001: 50s and early 60s Le Mans legends

Stirling Moss in a C type, absolutely fantastic. He got a class win I think, don't know the overall victor.

2002: French bike-engine powered mini prototype thingys

Funniest Radio Le Mans commentary ever. Hysteria took over as this degenerated into dodgems.

2003: 60s and early 70s Le Mans legends

Overall - Class - Driver(s) - Car

1st /1st (1A) Willie Green Ligier
2nd /1st (1B) Michael Quinnou/Steve Hitchin Chevron B16
3rd/2nd (1A) Craig Jones/Nick Amey Lola T70 MkIII
4th/ 3rd (1A) David Piper Porsche 917K
5th/1st (2A) Chris Chiles/Paul Ingram Ford GT40
6th/2nd (2A) Raymond Bellm Ford GT40
7th/3rd (2A) Mark Lemmer/Flavien Marcais Ford GT40
8th/ 1st (3 ) Grahame Bryant/Bill Shepherd AC Cobra
9th/2nd (1B) Charles Allison/Philip Nielson Chevron B8
10th/2nd (3 ) Carlos Monteverde Jaguar E Type
Old 30 Oct 2003, 23:21 (Ref:768600)   #4
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was one in 1990 because Oscar larrai who was driving the Brun Porche was involved in a bad crash in the renault 21 race, injuring his ribs and nearly making him miss the main race. The other driver involved died of his injuries years later.
In 1991 it was the Diablo crashathon race.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 08:55 (Ref:768884)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the years before the Renault 21s we had Renault Alpines, and before the Alpines we had Renault 5 Turbos.
I'm pretty sure there has been a race most years I've been there.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 13:09 (Ref:769147)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
2002: French bike-engine powered mini prototype thingys

Funniest Radio Le Mans commentary ever. Hysteria took over as this degenerated into dodgems.
That was veyr funny. I also seem to remember them just deciding to play some songs in the middle of it too!

The Lambo race was entertaining. A Pro-Am thing IIRC. The Am bit was very Am. Never seen so many people spin on a dry track.

Last edited by Adam43; 31 Oct 2003 at 13:09.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 13:30 (Ref:769171)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhino
There was one in 1990 because Oscar larrai who was driving the Brun Porche was involved in a bad crash in the renault 21 race, injuring his ribs and nearly making him miss the main race. The other driver involved died of his injuries years later.

You're quite right Rhino - I do remember that. I have a photo taken in the paddock of one of the cars involved in the shunt.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 09:59 (Ref:782982)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is mention on the 1993 review video of a Gentlemen/Driver Venturi's race. IIRC there is a bit of footage of about 4 or 5 of them taking each another out at one of the chicane's on the Mulsanne. As for 2002 the Formula France race was the funnist thing I have ever seen and I understand there back again next year.......
Old 16 Feb 2004, 18:31 (Ref:876054)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well this years support race has been confirmed, and it is a real cracker - it's going to be a historic Group C race, now that will be worth seeing.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:03 (Ref:876180)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Early reports suggest it'll be 30-40 minutes race and have over 30 cars It'll only be a single driver event though, which (mildly) surprises me.

Anyway. Great stuff!!!!!
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:39 (Ref:876220)   #11
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, fantastic!

Has anyone got an entry list, or am I being premature?
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:20 (Ref:876276)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I think you are being a premature, but to get the idea of the cars we will being seeing at Le Mans this year look here:- http://www.groupc-gtpracing.com/

From what I have read both on the sportscar forum and on a few other sites they are also hoping to get 10 cars over from the US aswell. I can not wait for June, this will be worth getting up for.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:29 (Ref:876287)   #13
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks rdj - another site to add to my faves.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 22:04 (Ref:879844)   #14
Ralph Nader
Rookie

Ralph Nader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember a race for Peugeot 309 GTi's in the mid to late eighties. I was spectating at Les Hunaudieres. The trick was to work with and push the car in front to break the slipstream to the following bunch, so there were groups of 3 or 4 cars nose to tail off down the Mulsanne straight. All the overtaking got done just after the kink. Very entertaining from the outside and probably more so inside the lead car on entering the braking zone!
Old 20 Feb 2004, 09:41 (Ref:880213)   #15
jph
Rookie

jph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a historic race on the Saturday morning in 1978 - first year I went, but missed the historics because the coach was delayed. Mostly 50s sports cars, but Moss was in a 250F - and won.