Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 1 Jul 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3748186)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Formula V8 3.5 joined the FIA WEC at Silverstone in April. Did anyone care?

I know the answer: there were no British drivers. But Oliver Rowland was champion in 2015, and I'm not sure many fans paid attention to him back then.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 23:00 (Ref:3748201)   #17
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the FIA should draw inspiration from MotoGP as was mentioned earlier. Have F1, F2 and F3 as world championships and raise the media importance of F2 and F3 in the same way that Moto2/Moto3 is- winning a Moto2 title is a pretty high accolade within motorbikes for instance, you make the list of motorbike Grand Prix champions by doing so.

It means sponsors are more interested in the international feeder series, so more likely for drivers to find funding and also making F2 or F3 a viable career option should F1 be an unattainable goal (think Simone Corsi/Mattia Pasini for instance in Moto2).

F3 World Championship should replace GP3 with single make chassis yet same open F3 engine regulations and maintain the F3 Euroseries as a stepping stone series towards the main championships.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3748202)   #18
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithhehehaha View Post
Maybe there will be lots of arguments on engines. Now F3 cars carries a engine with a production model block
Not true. Not since 2013. Now they are all bespoke racing units.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3748619)   #19
smithhehehaha
Rookie

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
I think the FIA should draw inspiration from MotoGP as was mentioned earlier. Have F1, F2 and F3 as world championships and raise the media importance of F2 and F3 in the same way that Moto2/Moto3 is- winning a Moto2 title is a pretty high accolade within motorbikes for instance, you make the list of motorbike Grand Prix champions by doing so.

It means sponsors are more interested in the international feeder series, so more likely for drivers to find funding and also making F2 or F3 a viable career option should F1 be an unattainable goal (think Simone Corsi/Mattia Pasini for instance in Moto2).

F3 World Championship should replace GP3 with single make chassis yet same open F3 engine regulations and maintain the F3 Euroseries as a stepping stone series towards the main championships.
Maybe like the MotoGP by providing more privilege on satellite teams than factory teams?
Old 4 Jul 2017, 02:34 (Ref:3748734)   #20
Motorsport Prospects
Rookie

Canada
Montreal
Motorsport Prospects should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post

Agreed. I believe the FIA want to move towards regional F3 series feeding into the main international series. At least that is what they have been saying publicly and I know that it is being actively looked at in North and South America. Whether its feasible is a whole other question. This will take a few years to sort out.
Old 4 Jul 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3748850)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport Prospects View Post
Agreed. I believe the FIA want to move towards regional F3 series feeding into the main international series. At least that is what they have been saying publicly and I know that it is being actively looked at in North and South America. Whether its feasible is a whole other question. This will take a few years to sort out.
it's feasible, sure - i think euroformula is a good example of how that can work using the same car. more so than brdc f3, which i'm sure is a great little car but it doesn't really do anything worth spending a decent budget on. i'm not sure what the budget difference would be between those two though.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 17:57 (Ref:3749310)   #22
smithhehehaha
Rookie

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read an Autosport article from Marcus Simmons, that includes an interview with Gerhard Berger, the new master of DTM, about the future of F3 and GP3. It seems the new F3 is mostly based on the current GP3 Series, and Berger hopes the new series can become supporting races for both F1 and DTM.

But Berger said he can restore the Formula 3 Euro Series to against the reformed F3 series from the FIA. But in the end, the author regards Berger is not a killer of F3, but the man to save F3.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 18:16 (Ref:3749312)   #23
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just read an Autosport article from Marcus Simmons, that includes an interview with Gerhard Berger, the new master of DTM, about the future of F3 and GP3. It seems the new F3 is mostly based on the current GP3 Series, and Berger hopes the new series can become supporting races for both F1 and DTM.

But Berger said he can restore the Formula 3 Euro Series to against the reformed F3 series from the FIA. But in the end, the author regards Berger is not a killer of F3, but the man to save F3.
Perhaps he can salvage F3 from a slow descent into the grave he helped dig for it?
Old 7 Jul 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3749390)   #24
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the biggest problem for F3 is competition from GP3 that races in GP weekends.

but the plan is for F3 to become part of those GP weekends instead of GP3
Old 7 Jul 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3749430)   #25
Motorsport Prospects
Rookie

Canada
Montreal
Motorsport Prospects should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Well the article outlined 4 different options with Berger favouring F3 running a split DTM/F1 support package. He makes some good points about track time and the support of Volkswagen and Mercedes. He doesn't want the essence of F3 killed which I agree with.

Personally I think a single make chassis and multiple engines like now should remain. The tough part will be to convince Bruno Michel to go along with that plan because as Berger points out, he makes money from selling parts to the teams as well as coordination of the overall championship.

I think the FIA should keep the series open to multiple chassis even though it is in reality one make now. All eyes will be on FIA to see what they do.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3749431)   #26
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think a World Championship would work - simply transporting cars, engines, spares, drivers and personell around the world would add too much costs for a driver who is still fairly early in their career without the big name sponsors.

Best to have specific events - the Macau Grand Prix, and the Masters at Zandvoort. The Americas never really took to F3.

A European event is straightforward for European teams to get to, and Macau works because of the logistics subsidised by the Macau authorities, as the event promotes the territory to the world.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 14:00 (Ref:3749433)   #27
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be nice if F3 was multi-chassis, but since everyone has moved to a carbon fibre chassis, the number of constructors diminished rapidly. Long gone are the days where to be a chassis manufacturer all you needed was some tubing and a welder, with flat sections of aluminium honeycomb forming bulkheads, with fibreglass making the rest of the bodywork.

Saying that there are a number of tubs being made for Formula 4 (often crash tested to F3 levels), which aren't homologated for F3, if there was the desire for greater chassis capacity. These include Tatuus (Germany, British BRDC F3, Spain, Italy, UAE), Mygale (F4 UK, Australia), Onroak (US), Domeo (Japan). Any others?

F3 has for many years been a stepping stone to the top echelons of motorsport, a place where drivers who had graduated from Formula Ford, added to the knowledge of close racing, and mechanical grip, continued learning: about the characteristics of aerodynamics, slick tyres and more power than they had previously. They continued learning about setting up their car.

Its also important to remember that F3 was also a place where many other members of the team refine their trade - mechanics and in recent years data engineers, but the regulations of recent years allowed teams to make their own bodywork and aerodynamics, and also suspension components - wishbones -designers, aerodynamicists. This allowed others to learn their craft as well and is one of the key reasons why F3 was regarded as such an important category.

With F1 getting ever more complicated, it makes sense that there could be extra stages to get there - the current GP3 single chassis / single engine adds approx 200hp and now DRS to the package, and from there F2/GP2 adds another 250hp.

Its logical from a branding point of view that the support races to a Formula 1 race are Formula 2 and Formula 3. They rebranded GP2 to F2 at the start of this current season, so its logical that GP3 could follow.

I think it would be a shame for the freedoms within F3 to be lost within single-chassis, single-engine formula as it would reduce the number of many talented people going on to progress further in motorsport.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3749449)   #28
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the gap between Formula 4 and Formula 2 is too big to have just one intermediate class. I think that having both Formula 3 and GP3 was good.

Santiago Urrutia struggled to jump from Formula 3 to GP3. Making drivers jump from F3 to F2 would be excessive.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 20:50 (Ref:3749481)   #29
MissClarrpz
Rookie

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that if someone follows F4 (or R2.0), F3 then F2 they could be ready for F1. I wouldn't say the gaps are too big. If you have to go F4, F3, another formula and then F2 those without a budget have no chance as oppose to some. IndyCar has 3 lower tiers and that works well. It also helps they actually give tests and scholarships to the champions. Only European F3 gives money to drivers (Ä100,000) but a F2 budget about Ä0.75-1.5 million. F1 should copy IndyCar closer not MotoGP. F4 should cover all regions and be for those with the smallest of budgets with scholarships for some F4 champions. F3 should have multiple championships but not in the same regions (eg an Asian and Americas as well). Then top F3 drivers are given a near free pass into F2. I also agree with keeping engine competition with an aim to lower costs not improve performance.

The problem for GP3 is that F3 is in the same area, is cheaper, gives drivers more track time and has just as good a status. More have come through Euro F3 than GP3 since 2012 (7-3). When GP3 becomes World F3 it must effectively be what European F3 is now, a low(ish) cost championship that helps drivers grow for F2 and F1. Otherwise Berger will create the euro-series and take numbers away from both.

I think that F2 should be the top junior championship. The new world F3 and other continental F3 could be next best with F4/R2.0 below that. (Apologies for the length and not sticking to F3)
Old 7 Jul 2017, 23:01 (Ref:3749506)   #30
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Santiago Urrutia struggled to jump from Formula 3 to GP3. Making drivers jump from F3 to F2 would be excessive.
Urrutia never did F3 though. He did the spec-EuroOpen, somewhat lower in level.