Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 Jul 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3753556)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And don't forget Petrov started out in Lada racing, ok that's not in the UK, but still. And of course Damon started in club racing on two wheels
Old 23 Jul 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3753715)   #17
old man
Subscriber
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
F Jedi and Monoposto are both club racers series - and good for that - but not on the career ladder, which is what i thought we were talking about here.
I really am out of touch and know little of those two series, must get out more!

If I were to attend a clubbie at say Croft or Mallory would those series be part of the programme? I think my ignorance shows another change. Back in the day weekly Autosport and MN were bought and covered the whole spectrum but now it is all on the web and certain websites report on my main interest, no news on club events on the Autosport website or DSC
Old 24 Jul 2017, 04:48 (Ref:3753868)   #18
Motorsport Prospects
Rookie

Canada
Montreal
Motorsport Prospects should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
F Jedi and Monoposto are both club racers series - and good for that - but not on the career ladder, which is what i thought we were talking about here.
Agreed but getting seat time before attempting to do something like BRSCC Formula Ford might not be a bad idea. And applying to as many Young Driver Scholarship programs as possible.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3753918)   #19
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not a fan of "scholarships", some of which appear to be means of funding a driver who's already been chosen! Certainly Historic FF, Jdei etc are good to get seat time.

How many haven't done karting? Very few! They leave at 14 to go to car racing, a constant source of irritation to those of us trying to keep talent in our branch of the sport.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 24 Jul 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3754003)   #20
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if this thread shows part of the problem, in that it's immediately assumed that a low cost entry series is for young lads aspiring to move on to greater things.

One thing that stood out to me in the various articles about FFords 50th anniversary was that it was started to give club racers a cheap single seater that sounded nice. It's status as a development series came latter and at least one article was critical at the way it started to chase the young talent at the expense of the club racers. It would certainly affect numbers if the only people buying new cars are the teams running drivers in a National Championship. There where 38 cars running in the last race at Brands Superprix, all of them over 45 years old. I can't imagine ever getting a field that big of Duratec FFords.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3754070)   #21
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport Prospects View Post
Agreed but getting seat time before attempting to do something like BRSCC Formula Ford might not be a bad idea. And applying to as many Young Driver Scholarship programs as possible.
But you would be getting seat time in the wrong cars and at no less cost. Would be barmy!
Old 24 Jul 2017, 22:00 (Ref:3754088)   #22
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
But you would be getting seat time in the wrong cars and at no less cost. Would be barmy!
I don't know about the costs of F Jedi but racing in Monoppsto in a F Vauxhall Junior 16v car was the cheapest racing I have ever done, by a long way. all race experience must surely be good race experience, and if you are not at the front of your class in Mono, there is no point in pursuing ideas of a career in the sport. You can therefore find out if you are vaguely quick without spending a fortune, or whether you are just going to enjoy being a clubman, and nothing wrong in that. Indeed, it is to be encouraged.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 22:03 (Ref:3754090)   #23
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Aras View Post

There where 38 cars running in the last race at Brands Superprix, all of them over 45 years old. I can't imagine ever getting a field that big of Duratec FFords.
But there were no where near as many Duratec engined cars built as Kent engined ones due to the different market st the time. And that's a shame as the Duratec engine is fantastic - robust and light weight and if I was looking to do Monoposto,again, I'd be looking for one of these.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3754329)   #24
Motorsport Prospects
Rookie

Canada
Montreal
Quote:
I don't know about the costs of F Jedi but racing in Monoppsto in a F Vauxhall Junior 16v car was the cheapest racing I have ever done, by a long way. all race experience must surely be good race experience, and if you are not at the front of your class in Mono, there is no point in pursuing ideas of a career in the sport. You can therefore find out if you are vaguely quick without spending a fortune, or whether you are just going to enjoy being a clubman, and nothing wrong in that. Indeed, it is to be encouraged.
Well said. My point exactly.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3754332)   #25
Motorsport Prospects
Rookie

Canada
Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm not a fan of "scholarships", some of which appear to be means of funding a driver who's already been chosen! Certainly Historic FF, Jdei etc are good to get seat time.

How many haven't done karting? Very few! They leave at 14 to go to car racing, a constant source of irritation to those of us trying to keep talent in our branch of the sport.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
We are currently reviewing scholarship programs at Motorsport Prospects and there a quite a few that have merit, though many are not single-seaters.