Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Jan 2001, 20:40 (Ref:60485)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No other reason for posting this, except that I remember the name, I remember it made me laugh, but...

...I don't remember who they were, when they were, what they raced, how they did, and above all...

..why the name? Anyone got any clues?
Old 26 Jan 2001, 20:55 (Ref:60486)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I can find (assuming the original 'ECF' was some time ago,) are reports in modern 'classic' rallies.

It seems to be used these days to describe an entry that survives against the odds.(?)

http://www.hero.org.uk/lejog/awards.html

(Scroll down the awards, and have look-see at the Ecurie' entry. Is that what you mean?)

No? ...I'll keep looking.
Old 26 Jan 2001, 21:03 (Ref:60489)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm, interesting.

Thanks, Sparky. The Ron Gammons connection may be a clue possibly. I've got recollections of it being a sports/GT equipe perhaps, and I'm convinced I've got a mental connection with Crystal Palace circuit going on. But a glance through the programmes I've got hasn't brought any joy yet.

But if Gammons was involved, perhaps I should be looking at an MG entry...
Old 27 Jul 2011, 06:32 (Ref:2931636)   #4
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ecurie Cod Fillet

Ecurie Cod Fillet is a loosely-organised group of former RAC rally winners:

http://www.donbarrow.co.uk/ecurie_cod_fillet_ecf.html
Old 27 Jul 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2931656)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Clayton View Post
Ecurie Cod Fillet is a loosely-organised group of former RAC rally winners:
Er, no . . . not unless the RAC Rally has been running for longer than most of us remember. From the link you posted:

"The membership stands at approximately 340 and is now virtually closed."

Over ten years . . . that's an impressive thread revival!
Old 27 Jul 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2931905)   #6
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's an extract from http://www.donbarrow.co.uk/autobiography_stage1.html

Quote:
Ecurie Cod Fillet appeared around the 1955 era and evolved around the Fidlers For Fish, Fish and Chip shop emporium in Stockport, Cheshire. Team entries on events were usually entered as ECF Team A, ECF Team B etc, needless to say that an Ecurie Cod Fillet Team would normally win the Team prize. During Stuart Turner's spell as the 'Verglas' Editor of Motoring News, (this was a sub-section devoted entirely to Rallying, which took up about half the news print in every publication) the MN Championship was launched in January 1961. The ECF powers of be, laid down that the criteria to become an elite member of ECF, was that you had to Win a Motoring News Rally outright in order to qualify. Naturally there were very few members during this initial period and those that qualified could buy and proudly display an ECF windscreen sticker - as per the example above. Both Reg and myself qualified ourselves many times in this first year and the ranks grew even bigger as years progressed. The powers that be were inundated with pleas and requests to be allowed into the ranks, but no chance, as Raymond Baxter once said, we are members of the most elitist club of motor sporting personnel in existence, however as the years rolled by, the rules were relaxed. It was all a case of asking at the right time, especially if one of the heirachy were stood at the bar about to buy a round of drinks; providing you picked up the tab, you were in. Over the years of course a few motor sporting celebrities were invited to become members, together with a string of personal friends who just happened to ask. About every 4-5 years there is a re-union where most folk attend, all trying damned hard to look their youngest and slimmest for the occasion. It was founded by Roy Fidler and John Hopwood, John was the main driving force and produced his witty bulletin about twice a year. A very special Club, with very special members.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2931932)   #7
Les Dalton
Rookie

France
Chez Jeanmet Charmant 16320 France
Les Dalton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ECF

Thank you for that Duncan, it is gratifying to hear the story from a man who was actually a big part of it, well done.
Do you still compete in anything these days?
Kind regards,
Les Dalton,
France.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2931939)   #8
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crossed wire somewhere - I've never competed in any rallies or races. I just happened to know of Don Barrow's site.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2932048)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
Ah, Don Barrow! Worshipped by old rally navigators everywhere as the inventor of the Poti!
Old 1 Aug 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2934317)   #10
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ecurie Cod Fillet is still going strong.

An electronic newsletter appears every few months, much of it written by Tony Mason. Mike Broad does much of the administration.

Membership is free but strictly by invitation. Recent new members include Jari-Matti Latvala and Ford team co-ordinator John Millington.

There is an annual get together which attracts the great and the good of the rally world including many from abroad.

Fred
Old 1 Aug 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2934391)   #11
DonBarrow
Rookie

DonBarrow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ecurie Cod Fillet history

More ECF history here.

http://www.donbarrow.co.uk/ecurie_cod_fillet_ecf.html

DB.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2961238)   #12
bill1976
Rookie

bill1976 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roy Fidler of ECF fame ran a successful cash 'n carry business with several outlets in the north of England. the company i worked for used to look after the refrigeration for that business and met Roy on several occasions. When I mentioned I was interested in motor racing he started to tell me stories of ECF get-togethers on various rallies and the subsequent celebrations or not(there was usually drink and girls involved). Nearly 3 hours later i was still there, nearly crying with laughter when the company I worked for phoned him to see whether or not i had finished repairing his walk-in coldroom. He told my boss that i had been sat on my backside for the last couple of hours drinking tea, that the coldroom had been fixed hours ago and he had better not get charged extra for the time i had been wasting. Being young and green, I sheepishly left and returned to the office ready for a good b******ing from the gaffer. just as i was called into the boss's office he had to take a phone call from Roy, who was ringing to tell him the real reason i had been delayed. His timing was no less than perfect. Some years later, he sold his business and i think he retired. We had a few more chats before i moved on but i always kept my eye on the clock after that first time. Great Bloke. hope he's doing ok. i'd almost forgotten about him till i came across this. thanks for starting this thread TimD