Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 6 Jul 2003, 20:34 (Ref:654173)   #1
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£27mil sale of Octagon Circuits To developers? The end is here???

According to todays Sunday Telegraph, Interpublic have put Octagon up for sale for £27mil and housing developers are queing up to buy the land

I have not read the article myself but are Snetterton, Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, and Cadwell Park doomed??

Snetterton for one is perfect for houses and we know the developers want it! Interpublic are selling to the highest bidder!

Last edited by Sim_Da_BTCC_Man; 6 Jul 2003 at 20:35.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 22:21 (Ref:654253)   #2
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh well these things happen, but a good boost to lydden, i think we should have a word with bernie about getting the gp down there.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 23:18 (Ref:654290)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It will be a very bad situation if the circuits go...british motorsport is in a bad enough situation already without these circuits disappearing!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 08:42 (Ref:654510)   #4
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they do sell to developers UK motorsport will simply go bust, end of story. Another success for PPM (P*ss Poor Management).

There is no way they should have ended up in so much debt. Didnt help overpaying for the British GP & Silverstone though, nice one Mr E and the BRDC.

Sounds like Mallory could be up for sale too... anyone got 6million??
Old 7 Jul 2003, 09:02 (Ref:654542)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I understand that Brands Hatch has a 10 year planning restriction which should mean developers would have to invest heavily in long term land purchase. Even so, it doesn't sound too good and is one of the bad parts about one company owning so many circuits.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 09:07 (Ref:654549)   #6
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jonathanc

Sounds like Mallory could be up for sale too... anyone got 6million??
Where do you hear it might be up for sale then?
I'd be surprised...
Old 7 Jul 2003, 09:23 (Ref:654563)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely Cadwell is too far in The Sticks to be worthwhile for housing development? Oulton Park too to a lesser extent, Silverstone should be able to run as a going concern with the F1 cash cow, but Brands is a gonner as soon as the developers can get planning permissions.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 09:36 (Ref:654574)   #8
JR Ewing
Veteran

Silverstone isn't owned by Octagon etc!

Also, why would Snett be good for developers as it's nowhere near any existing development, has some preserved/listed WWII features, and would have major planning wrangles as, effectively a greenfield site?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 09:50 (Ref:654587)   #9
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know, they rent it off BRDC, but the deal was very expensive and they havent made much money out of it. Whether it is because they havent tried enough or whether they over paid, Im not sure.

Anyway, in regards to Mallory, just heard a couple of paddock rumours over the last month, probably nothing.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 09:55 (Ref:654591)   #10
JR Ewing
Veteran

My point was that Silvserstone is not related to this sale of circuits as it has a different owner.

Looks like more racing (and more cost?) for Croft, Combe, Mallory and Donno etc. then...
Old 7 Jul 2003, 10:09 (Ref:654601)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
And when Mercedes eventually decide to build their factory at Lydden there is every chance that too will close. If so there will be no circuits left in the SE of England, the area of greatest population. How stupid is that!!!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 10:36 (Ref:654626)   #12
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lydden must be as close to London as Silverstone, Thruxton, Goodwood etc.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 10:39 (Ref:654632)   #13
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they sell of these circiuts for housing, surely it the end of British Motor racing, there are just not enough alternative circuits left?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 10:41 (Ref:654635)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Guy, I meant that if both Brands and Lydden go there will be no circuits in the SE.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 11:36 (Ref:654674)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell and Snetts will never be housing due to planning policy and who'd want to live there!

Considering that McLaren are still just finishing off their brand new factory in Woking, I think the immediate future of Lydden is safe(ish).

I'd be surprised if there wasn't easier places to build land than Brands.. although it's bang in the middle of the Thames Gateway redevelopment zone. Further research required!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 11:41 (Ref:654676)   #16
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brands can't be allowed to be sold off for housing development...it just wouldn't be right!!!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 11:52 (Ref:654684)   #17
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Guy, I meant that if both Brands and Lydden go there will be no circuits in the SE.
No worries, I was just thinking that the circuits I named were 'south-eastern' - probably just my different perspective from living the other side of London to you.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:05 (Ref:654696)   #18
jamo
Rookie

Wales
Stoke on Trent
jamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps the closure of such venues is not such a disaster.

For instance, it could give some the newer or alternative venues a boost - places like Lydden, Pembrey, Anglesey and perhaps some of the Sprint or Track day venues.

This in turn should lead to cheaper race fees - rather than the current stitch-up led by Octagon ?

The above comment of course ignores the history / prestige aspect of the discussion.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:07 (Ref:654697)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Also, why would Snett be good for developers as it's nowhere near any existing development,
Errr, they have a brand new dual carriageway outside and the industrial estates nearby are expanding rapidly. It has excellent comunications with Norfolk and London, what better place to be? I also heard that the market is going to be developed for houses, so once that happens the noise police will turn up, and bye bye race track.
Planning permission has been submitted for Brands about 2 years ago, so it would only be a matter of time before it is granted. As far as fairnes goes, Octogon or any other business would only look to the most profit, not keeping a minority happy.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:10 (Ref:654700)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by jamo
For instance, it could give some the newer or alternative venues a boost - places like Lydden, Pembrey, Anglesey and perhaps some of the Sprint or Track day venues.
This is a bad thing. I do like these circuits, but they are not a patch on Snetterton, Oulton and Brands.

You are all scaring me a lot!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:27 (Ref:654723)   #21
jamo
Rookie

Wales
Stoke on Trent
jamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
QUOTE]Originally posted by AdamAshmoreI do like these circuits, but they are not a patch on Snetterton, Oulton and Brands.[/QUOTE]

On what basis - each circuit has it's own merits ?

Is this not just a process of evolution - old circuits close and allow a new set of names to appear ... and become 'the' circuits of the future ??
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:40 (Ref:654742)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
To date it is rumoured that the only interested party for Brands has been Sainsburys to develop the site as a distribution centre. As for Lydden, I heard that Mercedes had postponed building the new factory for another 2-3 years. Somehow I don't see Lydden ever replacing Brands due to local residents etc.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:56 (Ref:654760)   #23
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
QUOTE]
Is this not just a process of evolution - old circuits close and allow a new set of names to appear ... and become 'the' circuits of the future ??
The problem is that it would be almost impossible to develop places like Anglesey or Lydden to the level neccessary to provide real replacements for the likes of Brands- Anglesey is too remote, and Lydden operates under very heavy restrictions with regards to noise because of local residents- I'd imagine any bid to develop Lydden into a major motorsport venue would be fought every inch of the way.....
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:56 (Ref:654762)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But haven't Mercedes bought part of Brooklands for this purpose?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 13:06 (Ref:654777)   #25
JR Ewing
Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps the closure of such venues is not such a disaster.

For instance, it could give some the newer or alternative venues a boost - places like Lydden, Pembrey, Anglesey
Nice, central venues to draw the people in, eh?

Last edited by JR Ewing; 7 Jul 2003 at 13:12.