Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 22 Mar 2007, 20:40 (Ref:1873982)   #51
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live in West Kingsdown, next to Brands and only half a dozen people in the village complain about the circuit. One has even asked for compensation for her home being devalued by the circuit. When i got my home valued for probate I was told I could add at least £5k to the value if I sold it because of the the free season tickets we get as residents.

Another turned up for the Villages Day to have a go at driving a Megan on the circuit and complained about the noise from the circuit when he got home. Fortunately Sevenoaks District Council pay lip service to these people and work very closely with JP and the local liason committee.

I have been accused of various things by the anti's because I work at Brands and attend meetings. One District Councellor was accused of taking a bribe from Brands because he applied and got the free residents season pass.

The vast majority of West Kingsdown residents love their famous and (sometimes) noisey neighbour
Old 22 Mar 2007, 22:44 (Ref:1874061)   #52
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
'apparantly' it is dangerous to stand behind a car when it launches
Makes perfect sense to me. The driver might accidentally select reverse
Old 22 Mar 2007, 23:28 (Ref:1874090)   #53
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've said this before, and it pains me to raise it again because I love the sound of a good rorty engine - or better still a pack of them - but why does motorsport have to be noisy? It's not as if many of them make a nice noise anymore. Combe's problems were, IIRC, caused by F3, and personally I'd rather listen to a lawnmower than a grid of F3s, they sound awful. Sure, it would take away some of the spectacle, but faced with being able to attend a quiet meeting or not attend at all, I'd take the quiet one. You'd be able to hear the commentary too.

Much as I like the noise of racing cars, I suspect I wouldn't be so amenable to a speedway venue, for instance, or a Radio Controlled Aeroplane club. Similarly, I like my music turned up, but prefer my neighbours turned down because we don't share the same tastes. So I turn mine down, it's only being considerate.

So my suggestion would be to mandate Road Car sound limits for all but the biggest international meetings and take away the reason for complaint. After all, you can't complain about the noise if what you drive is the same.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 00:06 (Ref:1874119)   #54
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest with Combe it depends who you talk to - as far as I am aware it was the GTs more than the F3 cars causing the complaints due to noise.

I wouldn't like to see all cars and grids full of Audi R10s for their whooshing noises, but the noise limits can be looked at - but at the same time, I still have an annoyance with people who move close to an (active) racing circuit and then complain about the noise.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1874828)   #55
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
To be honest with Combe it depends who you talk to - as far as I am aware it was the GTs more than the F3 cars causing the complaints due to noise.

I wouldn't like to see all cars and grids full of Audi R10s for their whooshing noises, but the noise limits can be looked at - but at the same time, I still have an annoyance with people who move close to an (active) racing circuit and then complain about the noise.
Yes it was the GT's the TVR's seem to be the loudest that's why they threw the toy's out at the final meeting everybody else managed to get within what was required,WHICH makes me wonder if some of the GT cars are doing britcar and have to be at 105dba for this championship why the hell could the teams not have made more effort to save this meeting just cause its and international race meeting noise levels don't have to be at 118dba as that's what is was during the first year the last being set at 114dba
Old 26 Mar 2007, 12:08 (Ref:1876652)   #56
Zider Drinker
Rookie

England
Playing trains on Gods Wonderful Railway
Zider Drinker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer
Yes it was the GT's the TVR's seem to be the loudest that's why they threw the toy's out at the final meeting everybody else managed to get within what was required,WHICH makes me wonder if some of the GT cars are doing britcar and have to be at 105dba for this championship why the hell could the teams not have made more effort to save this meeting just cause its and international race meeting noise levels don't have to be at 118dba as that's what is was during the first year the last being set at 114dba
...And where are Britcar racing in July? Combe!!! It could get interesting.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 14:52 (Ref:1876734)   #57
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zider Drinker
...And where are Britcar racing in July? Combe!!! It could get interesting.
The organiser of the championship said they run below 108dba so he reckons that noise won't be a problem considering they ran at 105dba for the night race last year...................but we shall see

Oh and the cider at combe send me a bit dolally last year and i've not heard the end of it

Last edited by gixxer; 26 Mar 2007 at 14:55.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 17:19 (Ref:1876868)   #58
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer

Oh and the cider at combe send me a bit dolally last year and i've not heard the end of it
Isn't there some evidence too
Old 26 Mar 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1876920)   #59
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer
Isn't there some evidence too
ER yes Martin there is but enough about that LOL
Old 27 Mar 2007, 11:12 (Ref:1877541)   #60
Biff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Biff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have read through this thread a couple of times, but I this time I got to Wooleys post and the subsequent replies and just about passed out.

What a bunch of defeatists.

This is your sport.....Its your life for gods sake, so stand up for yourselves.

Its time the green lobby were turned on. LIFE IS NOT GREEN!!!

From the moment you step foot on the planet you are doing it harm. Motor Sports has every right to exist as much as any other activity in the world. Pick any one you want other than food production and is there justification for it??

The cinema....What benefit does it do? What is the environmental cost of producing a film, think about everything that goes into it.

How about the cosmetics industry, eye shadow, lipstick, foundation, for what. What does it cost to run the factories, extract the raw materials, run the advertising campaigns?

Cruising on a liner. What a disgusting opulent waste of the worlds resources, how can that be allowed.

Well they can all 'be allowed' because its life. And it doesn't matter how much the green lobby go on, life will continue. The expected growth of cars in China is something around 18 million extra cars in the next 6 years.

All they look at is the problem, not any solution. Stopping any group of people doing anything will not stop the situation the world is in, the only way we can do something is harness all the technology we have to reverse the process.

Trees used to do it, but they've all gone now and we can't plant enough of them to keep up with Chipping Sodbury, let alone China (no offence Chipping Sodbury, but you know what I mean).

So there you go chaps, come up with a way of extracting the CO2 from the atmosphere and replace it with oxygen, and you have a solution. No need to stop anyone doing anything.

Of one thing though, there is absolutely no doubt, when we have several hundred massive 'Oxygen Stations' sucking up the carbon dioxide and belching out oxygen making the world all better again,,, someone will moan about the noise!!
Old 27 Mar 2007, 15:10 (Ref:1877708)   #61
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff
I have read through this thread a couple of times, but I this time I got to Wooleys post and the subsequent replies and just about passed out.

What a bunch of defeatists.

This is your sport.....Its your life for gods sake, so stand up for yourselves.

[/B]
STAND up for yourselves flippen eck mate castle Combe's been doing that since the seventies and where has it got its self back to running club motorsport just because 5 people decided that our motorsport was too loud on just two weekends a year.....And defeatists WE cetainly are not that was just a little light banter SO what exactly have you done in the name of our sport to have the cheek to call us defeatists
Old 27 Mar 2007, 16:35 (Ref:1877769)   #62
Biff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
My goodness.....Has a nerve been hit?
Old 27 Mar 2007, 16:53 (Ref:1877782)   #63
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
My goodness.....Has a nerve been hit?
You could say that, there's too many people these day's more interested in the NIMBY culture these ******s have hit a nerve and its the nerve that causes a pain in the arse
Old 27 Mar 2007, 17:09 (Ref:1877798)   #64
Biff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Its great to hear someone who is passionate about the sport. It was meant as friendly banter and not a personal attack on anyone, but at the same time to make the point that we shouldn't accept the NIMBY or green arguments without a fight. They are working to their own agendas. If Castle Combe had not stood up for theirselves over the years, we wouldn't even be watching club racing there now.

Just for the record. I've raced for years, spending stupid amounts of money £100k on the current car. I race club motorsport because I love it. I have helped people into the sport, preparing their cars and helping them for nothing. Served on the committee of an organising club. Take people to the states to watch NASCAR. Founded a club local to me where racing people meet up once a month for a drink and a chat. Write about the sport in local papers. Take the car to track days and give free rides (for those stupid enough to get in). Currently writing a book 'The British Motor Racing Yearbook' which will review the whole of the 2007 club racing season including all the Castle Combe championships, along with other in depth articles from people within the sport, there is free space in their for adverts for Marshals and for the Voluntees in Motorsport organisation and other charities. I have put all my own money into it including the cost of publishing.

Some may say they have done as much and more. And no doubt they're right.

The pathetic people in this world who want to stop it and get off, don't like the fact that others are still enjoying theirselves. Unless we watch out they will have motor sport banned before you can say carbon footprint!
Old 27 Mar 2007, 17:28 (Ref:1877809)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two great posts, Biff, and I agree. I would say that I am as much an environmentalist (and have been so since long before it became PC) as anybody, but there are always some who will go well over the top, especially if the target is a relatively soft one. However, given the amount of money generated by motorsport related businesses operating over here, the target might prove to be a bit chewier than they think!

And Woolley, get along to some historics, or a few FIA or British GT rounds. You still get some great sounds there. Even something relatively muted like the 24 hour Duller Motorsport BMW Z4M Coupe or Aston Vantage V8 N24 sound great if you are standing behind them at Luffield an they wail their way through Woodcote onto the pit straight.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 17:49 (Ref:1877831)   #66
Biff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Thanks John.

I agree there is a lot of big money and big people in the sport, and no doubt those at the top will fight and lobby hard to preserve what they do. The danger is the politicians might look a little lower down to try and gain points and pick on club motorsport which they may see as a softer target and easier to bully.

I'm not saying we should all march up Downing Street with banners, but we need to get some good arguments ready for when they do come knocking.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1877912)   #67
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
IMHO the whole green C02 carbon thing is one big con anyhow as I have said in another post. There is big money to be made from it now and villification if you dare speak against it.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 20:12 (Ref:1877963)   #68
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Its great to hear someone who is passionate about the sport. It was meant as friendly banter and not a personal attack on anyone, but at the same time to make the point that we shouldn't accept the NIMBY or green arguments without a fight. They are working to their own agendas. If Castle Combe had not stood up for theirselves over the years, we wouldn't even be watching club racing there now.
I'm what we call ourselves one of the Combe Hardcore we love the place and support the circuit rain or shine even on testing days,action days etc[work and home life allowing ] so as you can imagine nothing winds us up more than people complaining about the noise

I did not take it as a personal attack Biff just as you say very passionate about not only Combe but motorsport in general and its guy's like you,Al and the rest of the racers on ten-tenths who are prepared to spend their cash for the enjoyment of racing and keep us on the banks entertained

Only for joe local to come and stick the minortys nose in and spoil it, at least we've got racing at Combe like you said only helped by the fact circuit owner Howard Strawford was prepared to fight for its right to hold race meetings all be it at National and club level and to be honest Club racing this year at combe looks superb so do we really need international racing?well if club racing keeps the banks full and the lower noise level keeps the NIMBY's at bay then i think not
Old 27 Mar 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1877967)   #69
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Not a lover of Brands or Mallory the first 2 on our calender Gixxer so I recon I will make Combe 28th May as my start date for the season, it looks like a good un so hope to see you there. (hijack sorry!).
Old 28 Mar 2007, 08:16 (Ref:1878240)   #70
Biff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Yep, I'll be there Sept 15th to race, all being well, but will be there sooner to watch a few.

Had a good race last year up until the safety car, then I got mugged on the restart.

I'm thinking of doing a track day there and taking a few friends round for a ride, so if you're up for it gixxer, its about as far removed from FF as you can get, but its still fun.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1878673)   #71
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Yep, I'll be there Sept 15th to race, all being well, but will be there sooner to watch a few.

Had a good race last year up until the safety car, then I got mugged on the restart.

I'm thinking of doing a track day there and taking a few friends round for a ride, so if you're up for it gixxer, its about as far removed from FF as you can get, but its still fun.
I'd be honoured Biff Cheers for that

Always good to put a face to the name Al i'll make sure to come and have a chat
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:31 (Ref:1879016)   #72
Biff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Great, I'll PM you when I've sorted a date out.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 10:36 (Ref:1879063)   #73
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noice

I was woken this morning around 7 am to the sound of a Jumbo Jet on short final....trouble is...it was in a quiet suburb...it was a mobile carpet cleaning company doin its stuff...if that noise level had been comin from a race track there woulda been howls of protest
Old 29 Mar 2007, 15:01 (Ref:1879242)   #74
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
people complain about noise when its a permamnent fixture, i.e an airport, race track, pub even.

these busy bodies know they can get the leg over because the circuit owners just give in to avoid the paper work, tbh every race car imo should have straight pipes because motorsport is an experience, an assault on the sense's, the sight and the sound of a porsche 911 GT3 RSR, a F1 car, a zytek 06S or 04S or an aston martin DBR9.

all are amazing sounds, they muffle your hearing with distortion but thats the beauty of it, because it leaves you in awe over what man can achieve with 4 wheels, an internal combustion engine and other mechanical parts.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 19:10 (Ref:1879388)   #75
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I remember watching Nigel Mansell do some demo laps at Brands Indy in the 1600cc Turbo Renault F1 and the noise was seriously painful and not at all pleasant!