Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jun 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3427205)   #51
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Which rookies have any chance of taking a seat? Palmer, Nasr, Ceceotto from GP2? Sainz, Stevens from FR3.5? Lynn from GP3? Perhaps a DTM or WEC driver?
I would guess Sainz at Torro Rosso in place of JEV is most likely. The others it depends on funding and even with well funded, it is a massive jump in costs from GP2 to F1.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 23:31 (Ref:3427306)   #52
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I would guess Sainz at Torro Rosso in place of JEV is most likely. The others it depends on funding and even with well funded, it is a massive jump in costs from GP2 to F1.
Sainz has had a brilliant year so far, but he'll only get in if JEV does end up leaving. Considering he was fairly matched with Ricciardo I can imagine one or two teams approaching him after seeing how well Ricciardo's been doing this year.

Also I reckon both Sauber driver's are gone by the end of the year. Sutil's handicapped by his weight and Gutierrez just isn't good enough. Quite likely they'll want Sirotkin to have one of the race seats considering how much money he brings. Second seat up for grabs, if not by JEV then maybe Palmer or Bianchi (if the other teams are full)
Old 28 Jun 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3427322)   #53
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
and I am not the only one who asks this question
No, certainly not alone. Many including myself believe Perez should've been a McLaren driver for 2014.

We know the 'official' reason for Perez getting the boot. But 'unofficially' the word has been that.. well, let's just say that Perez's Daddy did not pay in full the rent owed to his boy's landlord because Daddy was unhappy with the state of his boy's accommodation.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 01:29 (Ref:3427343)   #54
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree Perez should have stayed at McLaren with Magnussen as a test driver, but in regards to McLaren's development I have to disagree and say Magnussen is an issue for them. Sure he's fast and may outqualify/out-race Button, but apparently his technical feedback isn't quite there yet (understandable as he's a rookie and not used to the level of feedback needed at this level). IMO they were right to keep Button as they needed someone who had the experience to provide good feedback from the start, and with Honda joining next year I can see Button staying certainly for 2015 due to his links with Honda.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 02:39 (Ref:3427358)   #55
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who knows? Right now maybe Perez is just feeling happy about the life in Force India. He gets more media exposure than ever anyway, and he outperforms Hulkenburg, which really surprises me. That explains probably why Nico can't get a seat beyond Williams, Lotus, Force India and Sauber gang.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 07:37 (Ref:3427394)   #56
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nico Hulkenberg outperformed Fernando Alonso in arguably a worse car at the back end of 2013. At that point, people thought that Perez was not showing his true potential in the McLaren, which was poor. Now Perez is probably a little slower than Hulkenberg, but is (yet again) showing he is the best on the grid at making his tyres last for a long time, so he can fly up the order into places that Hulk can't. That's what I see anyway, and in this Pirelli era, that skill Perez has is surely a huge benefit.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 12:07 (Ref:3427451)   #57
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Who knows? Right now maybe Perez is just feeling happy about the life in Force India. He gets more media exposure than ever anyway, and he outperforms Hulkenburg, which really surprises me. That explains probably why Nico can't get a seat beyond Williams, Lotus, Force India and Sauber gang.
It was mentioned before that the real reason Perez got seat at McLaren in 13 was because of sponsors. Otherwise, McLaren ex ante considered Perez and Hulkenberg more or less equal.

And by the way, Hulkenberg scored points in every race this year, and he still leads Perez in points, by a factor of two. Hulk's performance is exceptionally good. He really needs to get a set at a top team IMO. Although considering all the circumstances, Force India is not a bad seat to have this year IMO. Some of the "top teams" aren't that special this season. I was the one saying that it's not a big deal he didn't get Raikkonen's seat at Lotus last year. It was visible that Lotus was going down, just like McLaren.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3427454)   #58
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does worry me that Hulkenberg might be a bit of a Fisichella - awesome in a mid-grid team, but chokes when the pressure is on at the front. He did throw away his only realistic shot at a victory in Brazil '12, and in Bahrain and a few other races it has been Perez that's been the man for Force India when the team have been in the mix for a podium. He also has that Heidfeld trait of being a bit too satisfied with solid points when perhaps a mega result could have been on the cards? In short, is he lacking just a bit in terms of killer instinct?
Old 28 Jun 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3427459)   #59
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I look and evaluate in my mind the performances of all drivers in the top 5-6 teams, one question is now lingering my mind: why should Ferrari keep Räikkönen? Kimi is 12th in WDC right now, behind his teammate who is 4th. Because he makes Alonso happy? I understand that the rift is probably because Alonso is such a great driver, not because Räikkönen is so bad. But personally, I'd like to see some new blood at Ferrari. Maybe Bianchi, Hulkenberg, or someone else to see who could actually challenge Alonso.

As for Vettel, I think ultimately only he knows where RBR is heading right now. Only he knows the details of the situation with respect to the Renault power unit. Is Renault going to step up the game? Is Red Bull going to get a new engine? Only insiders know. Otherwise, making any move out of Red Bull into any team other than Mercedes for 2015 seems, ex-ante, like only a lateral move. Red Bull has its issues, but so does Ferrari and McLaren. Moveover, Vettel has already proved that he is a mentally strong individual who will not be swayed into a knee jerk decision only after a few engine failures. His car broke a few times in 2012 as well.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 13:32 (Ref:3427471)   #60
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think silly season is the right word considering the rule changes this year and next.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3427480)   #61
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree that right now, if Matiacci (is that his name? For some reason I cannot remember...) wants to move Ferrari onwards and upwards over a period of time then I don't think Kimi is the right man. They need someone hungry and fast, instead of just fast. Kimi has been quick on occasion - his luck has masked some of that, just look at Monaco - but Alonso, as normal, has been the more complete package. If I were Mr Ferrari Boss (I've given up) then I'd seriously be looking at Perez, Das Hulk (who was at one point sitting 3rd in the WDC), JEV (for his performances compared to Ricciardo), and Bianchi, and of course Robin Frijns - they'd all be more beneficial for a long-term programme.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 23:17 (Ref:3427663)   #62
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
when is Redbull gonna admit Daniel Ricciardo is their #1 driver, it is inevitable, that'll make my year lol
Old 29 Jun 2014, 09:01 (Ref:3427754)   #63
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
when is Redbull gonna admit Daniel Ricciardo is their #1 driver, it is inevitable, that'll make my year lol
Vettel's shown his mimicking skills, all he needs to do now is win and say "not bad for a number 2 driver!"
Old 29 Jun 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3427768)   #64
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not sure it'll ever be so. Neither is in contention for the drivers championship. In Red Bulls POV, Its finishing second in the constructors championship that matters. The order the drivers finish is inconsequential.
Old 29 Jun 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3427797)   #65
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

When Danny Ric wins 5 titles...
Old 30 Jun 2014, 09:01 (Ref:3428479)   #66
321Go
Veteran

Jenson put on notice by Ron Dennis?

Dennis: "In some ways you say 'Great, we made a great choice with Kevin', and in other ways you say 'Come on Jenson, you are a world champion and absolutely one thing you can do on a consistent basis - and you should be doing it - is beating your team-mate'."

Old 30 Jun 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3428524)   #67
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Has Button ever been consistent? I think of him as having had more anonymous days than great drives over the course of his career.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3428573)   #68
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Button is an odd one. When he and a competitive car are in synch (see Canada 2011, Spa 2012 for 2), he is untouchable. When he and a car fall out (see Canada 2013) he is absolutely nowhere to be seen. His oversensitivity to the car/conditions has been both a massive asset (in low-grip conditions, very few can rival him) and a hindrance (a small set-up change in the wrong direction can end his chances during a weekend).
Old 30 Jun 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3428661)   #69
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I actually wonder a little about Button. While Hamilton was at McLaren there were days he was exceptional and others where he seemed to struggle to get it together, particularly in qualifying.
It was the same at Honda and he really only ignited at Brawn, where he had the diffuser and a great grip package to win his title. When matched with Perez at McLaren, in a difficult car, Perez was encouraged to step up and when he did Button got upset because he was 'too aggressive'. Perez settled a bit and when running together, fell in behind.... only to lose hi seat at the end of the year.

Magnussen becomes the replacement and clearly outpaces Button in Australia and by the time we got to China they were struggling to get into Q3. The car had problems, and not enough grip...... the same car that was on the second and third step of the podium (officially) in Australia?

Then Button says that Magnussen's inexperience is hurting McLaren's development....The same Magnussen who has out-qualified him in half the races this year.... and when Perez got up on top of him a year earlier he said he was too rough...
Button was said to be a driver who didn't drive around problems, the car had to be right to get the most out of the driver, and he had trouble getting the most out of the tyres in qualifying when up against Hamilton.

Something doesn't add up.
How would McLaren have fared if they had Magnussen and Perez this year...?
Did they drop the wrong person? (and I am not the only one who asks this question)
You will understand why am I not surprised......
Old 30 Jun 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3428707)   #70
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strewth, one bad race and some people want to put him on the scrapheap!
Old 30 Jun 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3428715)   #71
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
When Dennis' came back, he came back with attitude. He unseated Whitmarsh and is in the mood for some purgin'.

I think Button's vulnerable in that seat from a possible big-hitter but I doubt they'll pair another rookie with Magnussen - and that might just about save Button when this all works it's way through.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 21:20 (Ref:3428746)   #72
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
Strewth, one bad race and some people want to put him on the scrapheap!
He's not on the scrapheap and its not because of one race.
Dennis is wanting him to step up with more effort - try harder. I have noticed over the last 4 years that Button has good and bad days, when he's either not 100% or not putting in 100% and there are problems with the car etc.
But some of it just seems like an excuse and Dennis is wanting more from an ex world champion.
He won championships with Prost, Senna, and Hakkinen before button was even in GP racing. he knows what 100% looks like and probably feels Jenson needs to 'try harder'.
I agree with Paradise City. He's not going to be replaced by a rookie but an experienced driver if one is available.... He could be.

And I'd rate Hulkenberg in that category, although I don't know if Ron would.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 22:22 (Ref:3428763)   #73
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would need to be a world champion to displace Button. Honda will want a known quantity when returning to F1, and Button is that for them. Button has proven that if given a good car, he can take it to win the title. I believe Honda will at least want this for the first season, then re-evaluate from there.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 10:31 (Ref:3428931)   #74
321Go
Veteran

I read some speculative fiction on here about Ron Dennis being "royally p*ssed off" at Hamilton and Alonso. It appears this "royally p*ssed off" Ron Dennis has no issues with either of the two drivers. In fact, for a news article in May Dennis said:

"Fernando would be welcome back at McLaren.
"You're surprised that I'm talking about Fernando? I don't have any problem -- the most important thing is for us to win again.
"In 2015 we have the Honda engine and we need a great driver."

And today, Ron Dennis in replying to Sky Sports about wanting Lewis Hamilton back said:

"The key word is available because people have contracts and we respect those contracts, but if Lewis was in a position to drive for us next year, as with many of the other top drivers if they were in that position, we would love to have them on board."

Ron seems far from being "royally p*ssed off" as suggested.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3428961)   #75
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
"I don't have any problem -- the most important thing is for us to win again.
"In 2015 we have the Honda engine and we need a great driver."
Hey, I thought they had 2 - the champion and the future champion. These Honda engines could just be enough for both JB to relocate his mojo, and for Magnussen to prove he can mix it with Alonso and Hamilton...