Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Jul 2012, 02:15 (Ref:3101636)   #1
Club racer
Racer

Club racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some news from Kiwi land - Denny Hulme Festival

Worldwide Formula Junior interest in NZ Hulme Festival

A maximum permitted grid of 37 Formula Junior and Formula Three cars will take the starter's flag over the two weekends of the 2013 New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing event celebrating the life and career of former Formula Junior racer Denny Hulme.

The event will take place at the Hampton Downs race track on New Zealand's North Island over two weekends in 2013 - January 18-20 and January 25-27. The massive grids of Formula Junior cars will not be the only major draw card, however. Can-Am cars will be back in action and for the fourth year in succession, the event will play host to the world's biggest gathering of Formula 5000 cars. Iconic Historic Muscle Cars are also on the agenda.

Festival Chairman Jim Barclay has been inundated with more than 50 serious enquiries from Formula Junior racers and car owners in New Zealand, Australia, Great Britain, the USA and Europe - with interest even coming in from Italy.

"If a racer from Italy does run in the event, it will be sweet irony for a class with its roots in the country," Barclay commented.

Marques confirmed so far for the two weekends of action-packed Formula Junior racing include UK-built chassis from Brabham, Cooper, Elva, Emeryson, Gemini, Lola, Lotus; Italian-built racers from Atuosud, Stanguelini, Taraschi and Volpini; Australian cars from Ausper, CWG, Donford, Elfin and Nota, the US-built Jocko Special and the NZ-built FMZ.

Formula Junior was an open wheel formula racing class first adopted in October 1958 by the CSI (International Sporting Commission, the part of the FIA that then regulated motorsports). The class was intended to provide an entry level class where drivers could use inexpensive mechanical components from ordinary automobiles.

The idea to form the new class came from Count Giovanni "Johnny" Lurani who saw the need for a 'first-steps' class for single-seater racing cars for younger drivers.Kiwi legend Hulme was not the only driver with a background in the class. Jim Clark, Peter Arundell, Trevor Taylor and John Surtees were also regulars.

The field will include the actual Formula Junior Brabham racer piloted by Hulme pictured and now owned by New South Wales driver Ed Holly.

Old 23 Oct 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3156381)   #2
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About time this thread was bumped! Now you UK racers are twiddling your thumbs at the end of the season, may I respectfully suggest you escape a UK winter and head south for a week or two at the end of January?

Once you have spectated at the new Hampton Downs track, maybe the economics of coming down with a car and racing will make some sense in the future! Normal NZ race entry fees are about 100GBP for one practice and three races. The festival is a bit more of course.

We went to Monaco for the Historics meeting and I'd have to say I'd never bother doing it again. Corralled into one grandstand and one viewpoint, with horrendous delays between the track action, the Denny Hulme Festival is a far better deal for spectators as like Goodwood, there are decent viewing spots trackside and the paddock access is free.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3156467)   #3
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/

I've taken the plunge & booked my flights. Michael Clark has been badgering me to persuade Denny entrant Sid Taylor to come down to New Zealand with me, & I'm currently working on it.....
Old 23 Oct 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3156591)   #4
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest anyone have a vague idea how much it would be to ship a car there and back?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 23 Oct 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3156622)   #5
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd make contact with Frank Lyons as they are taking cars back and forward quite a lot. With 6 cars in the container it was very cheap. A single car is less economic of course.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3156640)   #6
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been down to both the McLaren and Amon Festivals at Hampton Down, they like their racing in Kiwiland and do it well.

With loads of NZ competitors plus entries from Australia, UK, Canada, USA and many other countries the racing is very competitive and the hospitality is outstanding.

Flights are booked for the Hulme Festival, it looks like there is a good British continent for a number of the events, cant wait
Old 23 Oct 2012, 23:20 (Ref:3156753)   #7
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Flights are booked for the Hulme Festival, it looks like there is a good British continent for a number of the events, cant wait
Tickets are organised Chris!
I have decided that I am not competing this time.
The great variety of cars is tremendous so I'll enjoy taking pics, but running a road spec GT in scratch races against either sports racers or historic muscle cars does not really rock my boat. Sharing the track with muscle cars when the Marcos is only 43" tall is not conducive to my safety either.
Some people enjoy racing in front of a large crowd. I personally enjoy racing within a group of cars with similar performance, especially handicap races, where any disparity of performance doesn't really matter as you at least see other cars.

Taking 1,000s of photographs of Canams, Formula Junior's, F5000's and various saloons, sports and GTs will do me just fine.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3156906)   #8
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow!
See what I mean about Kiwi hospitality, thanks Ray!

Sorry you are not racing but more than understand.

I heard a similar non entry stating that he was not comfy racing his GT with clubmans cars following an incident at the Amon meeting.

Please order the wall to wall sunshine for all to enjoy
Old 6 Nov 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3163360)   #9
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK guys - not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes!

I'm based in the UK, am involved in competing in classic/historic racing (driving a TR7 V8) and may well be coming down to NZ early next year. With the costs involved, it's likely to be a one-time only deal for us. Dates are not fixed as yet, and we can be flexible. We'll ultimately be staying in Levin with my partner's sister, and will be travelling down to Levin from Auckland airport.

The thing is, as I'm not likely to get the chance again, I'd like to take in some motorsport spectating whilst there, and see how you guys do it down there! The Denny Hulme festival mentioned in this thread is one that interests me, but I've also been looking at the BNT V8s racing at Taupo in March.

Both venues are easily accessible between Auckland and Levin, and we can arrange dates to suit. And although I do generally prefer historics to modern stuff, I am partial to a nice V8! Are the NZ V8s similar to the Aussie V8s? I've seen the Aussie ones on TV here in the UK, but not the NZ version.

So, what do you guys down there in NZ recommend? I'm a bit torn to be honest. Are there any other interesting events around January to March worth considering? Any suggestions that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3163529)   #10
MalcolmC
Racer

New Zealand
Down there a bit
MalcolmC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

So, what do you guys down there in NZ recommend? I'm a bit torn to be honest. Are there any other interesting events around January to March worth considering? Any suggestions that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
The NZ V8 racing scene has undergone a split over the last 12 months, most of the top drivers and money are now with the V8 Supertourer class. Spaceframe chassis' with GM engines and either Ford or Holden bodywork. They're a bit low-tech compared to the Aussie V8 Supercars but they have 7 litre engines (vs. 5 litre in Australia) so they're not much slower.
I haven't seen a calender for next year yet but they did race at Hampton Downs in Feb this year. Keep an eye out here for updates:
http://www.v8st.co.nz/

If you like open wheelers then the Toyota Race Series is worth a look to:
http://www.toyotaracing.co.nz/

The Denny Hulme Festival should be at the top of the list though.

Malcolm.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3164501)   #11
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info Malcolm. You're not the only person to suggest that the Hulme Festival should be at the top of the list - so it looks like that's what we're going to go for.

You may notice that I started a separate thread on the subject, and Socram has provided some useful info too.

So, thanks guys!
Old 6 Dec 2012, 03:47 (Ref:3175617)   #12
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Interest is still growing... Tickets are now available and if speCTator pops into this thread - as I am sure he will, I already have your tickets Chris!

Not sure what days I'll be at the track, but maybe any Ten-Tenths contributors (- or even the lurkers!) should arrange to meet just in front of Hamptons, each day at say 12:30?

This coming weekend (December 9th), the track (Hampton Downs) is trialling their new (flag marshals) lights. The area immediately behind the pit garages has just been tar sealed. Progress would be even faster if there was more cash around and locally, we hope the cash rolls in quickly, as we want to see the extra track built.

The exisiting one is what is be called the National circuit. The new one will be the Club circuit and linked, they will become the International circuit.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 06:14 (Ref:3193555)   #13
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Bump - for those posting in the 2012 thread...

Formula Juniors - Saturday
Attached Thumbnails
213_0119_054.JPG   213_0119_056.JPG   213_0119_100.JPG  

Last edited by socram; 24 Jan 2013 at 06:23.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 06:23 (Ref:3194779)   #14
OLLIE_NZ
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
OLLIE_NZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Bump - for those posting in the 2012 thread..
It's not the 2012 thread, if you looked at the photos or read the text, you'll see I cocked the date up in the thread title and put 2012 instead of 2013.........