Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Jul 2017, 07:26 (Ref:3752988)   #101
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/t...cid=spartandhp
I don't know how long this link will be left on but interesting to read.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Jul 2017, 08:13 (Ref:3752995)   #102
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
boggissimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The most recent Leaf does regen braking though doesn't it? Probably similar to the Tesla, where even free wheeling down hill without the brakes will add charge?
Yep, as far as I know all EVs have regenerative braking, where kinetic energy is harvested and put back into the battery (like KERS/ERS on F1 cars). The Leaf has a couple of modes where the regen is applied at different strengths, and some other EVs have a multi-step way of applying it, to suit your own driving style or the road conditions. I always put mine in the highest regen mode, and control the car on the accelerator (don't really need to use the friction brakes very often if you anticipate properly), but others prefer to have it in the lower regen mode where the car freewheels a little more easily. There's also an 'Eco' mode which dulls the throttle response and limits power to about 40% of max (unless you use the 'kickdown' function which overrides it).

From the stats that are collected by the car, on average I regenerate about 30% of the energy used. My usual commuting route isn't particularly hilly (north/west Kent) but I take advantage of the downhill sections where I can.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3753036)   #103
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/t...cid=spartandhp
I don't know how long this link will be left on but interesting to read.
Yes, thanks for the link. That is the technology I mentioned a while back, but was reading from a magazine. Cheers, Gordon!
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:31 (Ref:3753055)   #104
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, thanks for the link. That is the technology I mentioned a while back, but was reading from a magazine. Cheers, Gordon!
Overly complicated.

Once autonomous electric is mandated all that is required is a slot car like road surface charging system and a couple of brushes to pick up the charge.

Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3753056)   #105
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Overly complicated.

Once autonomous electric is mandated all that is required is a slot car like road surface charging system and a couple of brushes to pick up the charge.

Then they'll be in the garage every few minutes having the fluff cleaned off the brushes like we always seemed to have to with our Scalextrix!
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3753066)   #106
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Then they'll be in the garage every few minutes having the fluff cleaned off the brushes like we always seemed to have to with our Scalextrix !
Some of us still do....

Yes, Grant- over complicated but at least peeps are trying ideas out! No point in just accepting what we already have.

Or maybe we could learn something from electric tramways.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 12:22 (Ref:3753076)   #107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
No doubt most will have heard that all Black Cabs in London will have to able to drive at least 30 miles 'emissions free' by 2020. The first new model to be announced has a 1.3l petrol ICE range extender and can reportedly cover 70 miles on battery power alone. In order to help with charging this from TfL-

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/pr...vehicle-scheme
Old 20 Jul 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3753129)   #108
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not long to wait for the next Nissan Leaf:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/...id=26743716201
Old 20 Jul 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3753137)   #109
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mmm, more mainstream hatchback looking! Wonder if the current car's appearance has cost Nissan sales? The article tends to hint that it has.

Will be interesting to find out the suggested increase in range, as every new EV or 'facelift' is an improvement on any predecessor.

BMW are likely to replace the i3 in another 3 years or so (normal model cycle is 7yrs, I believe), and I'm wondering if the next one will be so advanced- especially in it's construction, or just an electric version of a conventional model. With all the noise they made when launching the 'BMW i' brand, I hope it is special again....
Old 20 Jul 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3753144)   #110
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Mmm, more mainstream hatchback looking! Wonder if the current car's appearance has cost Nissan sales? The article tends to hint that it has.)
I'd say it has. A problem with electric cars is they often don't look like electric cars. Some people don't want to drive around in something that turns heads - they just want to have a plain simple car. Arguably that's what Nissan and Toyota and co do best. The Leaf isn't ugly, but it's odd looking and does make people take a second glance.

Make electric cars like normal cars and people will buy them. They don't have to look weird!
Old 20 Jul 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3753166)   #111
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Make electric cars like normal cars and people will buy them. They don't have to look weird!
Fortunately you can't actually buy a Honda Clarity.... https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/honda/fcv-clarity

But you can buy a Toyota Mirai..... https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/toyota/mirai

No thanks. IMHO, of course!
Old 21 Jul 2017, 07:05 (Ref:3753249)   #112
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
boggissimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But you can buy a Toyota Mirai..... https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/toyota/mirai

No thanks. IMHO, of course!
Quite apart from the looks, don't mention the hydrogen!
Old 21 Jul 2017, 08:47 (Ref:3753267)   #113
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggissimo View Post
Quite apart from the looks, don't mention the hydrogen!
Having said that about the Clarity, the new Honda Civic is just about as bad...
Old 21 Jul 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3753314)   #114
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
As discussed earlier, there are 8000 petrol stations in the UK and 12,000 chargers. So if there are 8 petrol stations in your town, there is on average 12 chargers. Many are not in obvious places. They aren't as noticeable a large petrol station

Of course there are a lot more petrol nozzles than chargers though!
You make many good points in your lengthy inputs.....however this isn't one of them

Not only are there a lot more nozzles than chargers, even if the chargers were the high-powered 50Kwh ones Mike quoted, a recharge takes about 30 mins, according to Mike, whereas putting 300 miles worth of petrol/diesel into a car takes maybe 3 minutes.....So you'd need up to 10 times more chargers than nozzles if we reached equivalency in electric v fossil-fuelled, surely - although I accept that a proportion of owners can recharge at home, though I suspect the cost of installing a 3-phase set-up like Mike's isn't insubstantial.

Several people have commented that they have Leafs ( Leaves? ) on PCP deals. I was talking to a Zoe owner a while ago who had bought his second-hand (at a very good price for him, but horrendous depreciation from new), and he was paying IIRC about £80/month as battery rental - which he felt was good as he'd had to have a replacement battery pack under the scheme. I don't know if this arrangement is the norm?
Old 21 Jul 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3753323)   #115
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.....BMW are likely to replace the i3 in another 3 years or so (normal model cycle is 7yrs, I believe), and I'm wondering if the next one will be so advanced- especially in it's construction, or just an electric version of a conventional model. With all the noise they made when launching the 'BMW i' brand, I hope it is special again....
Mike - expected to be announced by BMW at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September - a 'hot' electric hatch, the i3S. They are rumoured to be showing the facelifted i3 range as well.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3753324)   #116
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mainly Renault lease the batteries separate to the cars. Cost based on a mileage agreement. You can buy the car and batteries outright if you prefer. When I looked into it, the cost of a Zoe lease plus battery lease finished up being virtually the same as a normal lease on the i3.

Home chargers start around £150 installed, which is what I paid. You can get a grant which is why that low. I could have paid 4 times more for a BMW charger that did exactly the same, but had fancy LEDs and was probably designed by Philippe Starck.....

Gary, the Sport i3 was talked about before I ordered my car, but I didn't want to wait. It will be more money as well. The facelift will be very minor but will include better battery range. Don't think a significant amount though. Like said before, if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll wait forever....
Old 21 Jul 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3753331)   #117
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
You make many good points in your lengthy inputs.....however this isn't one of them
I think it's quite a good point

You're 100% right that there's a LOT more nozzles, and a nozzle is faster than an electric charger. I never disputed that and fully agree. My point is more to put the amount of chargers in perspective. For every 2 petrol stations you see, that means there are 3 chargers. I'm not saying that's a bigger capacity, more an illustration of how many there are in the wild.

My point isn't that they're fast or have the capacity to do the whole of the UK on the current network, rather than there are more of them than people think because they are small and subtle. You don't notice them until you look for them.

I probably made my point quite poorly - Not faster. Not higher capacity. But there are a surprising amount of them!
Old 21 Jul 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3753381)   #118
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe depends where you are or want to go - Just looked at Zapmap for the journey I'm doing tomorrow - not a single charger en route between my house and Croft, although some a few miles off route, but its 80 miles so I guess I would be within range if I set off fully charged........but the charger that appears to be located near my Travelodge overnight halt shows one of the two out of order, if I'm reading the site correctly. A bit of an issue if I want to get home if anyone else is using it. (Mind you I don't understand the different capacities etc that it shows - can any EV use any type of charger or do particular makes require a particular type of charger? ) Can you book useage?

Immaterial anyway, I guess - as a proponent of bangernomics its going to be a long time before any EV's come within my price point, but I can see that if you are a city dweller/commuter they will have their attractions as prices come down, if only as a second car.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3753387)   #119
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
As an edit to the above: EDIT: Answered some of my own questions by doing a bit of googling - this is quite helpful: https://evconnectors.com/ and this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMl4c_Ydb4 - although I'm still not sure whether you have to join a number of different networks or whether they have a common charging structure. So much to learn for something I haven't really got any interest in, apart from intellectual curiosity
Old 21 Jul 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3753392)   #120
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
If you'd looked on Zap-Map main site there is loads of info such as you've found elsewhere!

https://www.zap-map.com/electric-veh...oint-selector/

The fault reporting on their website is via users, so it's not unusual for a charger to be showing as faulty, when in fact it has been fixed, or the fault was operator error!

With EcoTricity, who have the DC-CCS rapid chargers best suited to my car on a journey, I find it better to use their app. It tells if in use and if faulty.

Even if you're not in a position to have an EV, it is interesting and so glad to see you broadening your knowledge....
Old 24 Jul 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3754009)   #121
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Good to see that the UK is prepared to at least keep up with other countries. Let's hope the money is spent wisely!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/b...trial-strategy
Old 24 Jul 2017, 20:45 (Ref:3754082)   #122
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
My Travelodge room at Scotch Corner was directly above the two EV charging points - didn't see either being used when I was there......however from watching the videos I described I was able to tell that someone had holstered a connector incorrectly!
Old 26 Jul 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3754448)   #123
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, from 2040 in the UK and France (so far), no petrol or diesel engined cars will be sold. All will have to be powered by an alternative and presume zero emissions source........

Think I'll be lucky if am still driving by 2040, but Wow!

It's in all the media, but here's one version.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

Last edited by Mike Bell; 26 Jul 2017 at 09:12.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3754452)   #124
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
My co-workers have already declared that the world is going to end tomorrow, because they are banning petrol cars in 23 years. It'll all be a complete disaster and how can that possibly be when electric cars are tax free and how can we possibly cope with the idea of plugging a car in etc etc.

Some of these people are in their 70s. Some won't even be alive by the time this comes into force. But the world is ending, so nor will I, I guess.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3754457)   #125
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's going to be a good time to be an automotive engineer. Maybe I should guide my son, who's just built an electric kart with a group of boys at his school for the Greenpower Challenge, towards that as a career...