Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2429627)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Donington this weekend - Is it on? - It is NOW! - And there's more!

Last week MN drew attention to the possibility that Donington did not have a track licence for this coming weekend (MGCC & HSCC events) since there were safety issues concerning the proximity of the track to the new tunnel. I have kept quiet until now for fear of a spreading unnecessary despondency. However, I have to tell you that this issue has not gone away. Two separate sources, both of whom should know, tell me that this matter has not yet been resolved. Since it is now just a few days away, I feel it not unreasonable to advise competitors, marshals and spectators to keep an eye on this and check before they depart for the circuit.

If I learn anything further, I'll let you know. Also if anyone else gets some definitive news, please post here.

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Mar 2009 at 16:35.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2429635)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A cautious yes from the MGCC?

http://www.mgcc.co.uk/motorsport-top...well-park.html
Old 31 Mar 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2429658)   #3
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been keeping quiet as well, for the same reasons as John. The HSCC have promised to let me know as soon as there is any news either way.

In the meantime, we'll all have to sit tight. It's not a good idea to ring the clubs for news - they've got enough on their plates.

Oh... don't ring Delta either, I've already had him on the phone whingeing about all the people calling him to ask if it's on or not.

Like John, I'll post any news as soon as I hear it.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2429676)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*just off to call Iain.*
Old 31 Mar 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2429716)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I wanted to post this question last week. Well done John im off the hook.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2429743)   #6
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a number of us have known about the issue for a little while, but none of us has wanted to pipe up - I'd expected to see it come up in 10/10ths before now, but didn't want to be the one to post it!

I think we're going to be there, but I'm not talking from a position of absolute knowledge, just my read from the various things I've heard (and that update on the MGCC website).

I've still not got tickets/passes etc. for the HSCC event, and I know 2 others in the same position, but I assume that we're not the only 3...!

See you there, fingers crossed.

James
Old 31 Mar 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2429746)   #7
Alan Morgan
Veteran

The HSCC were stuffing envelopes yesterday, so I assume the passes will be sent out today at the latest.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2429797)   #8
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Update:-

Most of the envelopes are still waiting to be sent out by the HSCC. Apparently there is a dispute between Donington and the MSA as to the amount of work that needs to be done to satisfy the requirements of the track licence, and as a consequence, work is not progressing at the moment.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2429837)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
This has to be a first doesn't it? A track breaking a contract due to track improvements. I hope the events go ahead, especially as has been mentioned they are over/well subscribed.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2429852)   #10
Chris Sharples
Rookie

Chris Sharples should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This just received from Grahame White (HSCC)-

Dear All

Donington Race Meeting - 5 April

At 16.06 this afternoon I received an email from Donington Park to confirm that the MSA have agreed to issue a temporary track licence and our meeting this weekend will go ahead as planned.

Passes and final instructions will be in the post tonight.

Kind regards

Grahame
Old 31 Mar 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2429869)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I, too, have just received the call to confirm the issuing of a temporary licence, so it's good news. However, I hope everyone will forgive me for drawing it to your attention. I really was uncomfortable at keeping this quiet; it didn't seem right to stay silent on an issue which had an impact on many of our posters.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 16:41 (Ref:2429876)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good stuff.

Looking forward to your reports from Saturday and Sunday.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2429880)   #13
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think as far as the MGCC was concerned every body that needed to know about the situation ( competitors etc ) did . a superb job of communication on the part of the MGCC. Sometimes its better to keep quiet and let the organisers sort things out in a proper fashion and not cause the people in control of the track any undue or unwarrented embarresments . They made promises and seem to have come good , well done everybody.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2429891)   #14
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I was i the same boat John. Thanks and well done.Right i can now get the weekend organised.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2429893)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Good stuff.

Looking forward to your reports from Saturday and Sunday.
I'm not sure that I'll be at either, Peter. More likely to be at Snet for the CSCC, certainly on the Saturday anyway. We'll see, but it is another of those annoying clashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
I think as far as the MGCC was concerned every body that needed to know about the situation ( competitors etc ) did . a superb job of communication on the part of the MGCC. Sometimes its better to keep quiet and let the organisers sort things out in a proper fashion and not cause the people in control of the track any undue or unwarrented embarresments . They made promises and seem to have come good , well done everybody.
I think we all took that view, Jerry, but how long do you wait? The outcome was not certain, and I don't feel too contrite about raising it, given that time was running out.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2429924)   #16
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
The outcome was not certain, and I don't feel too contrite about raising it, given that time was running out.
It's worked out alright in the end, thank goodness, I would also like to have been at Snetterton and might have lost my nerve if I'd have known about the problems earlier. This is just the first of pretty much a whole season of clashes between the HSCC and CSCC/JEC for me and I'd like to do them all.

On the other hand, the calendar as it stands has saved me a fortune......ho hum
Old 31 Mar 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2429977)   #17
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=John Turner;2429893]I'm not sure that I'll be at either, Peter. More likely to be at Snet for the CSCC, certainly on the Saturday anyway. We'll see, but it is another of those annoying clashes.

FYI John the Swinging Sixties race is on Sunday, not sure whether you're aware.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 31 Mar 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2430040)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
All this talk about Donnington and Snetterton well im at Mallory on Sunday any other 10/10 ers there?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2430525)   #19
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would appear that Donington has been granted a temporary licence for this weekend, however part of the circuit will be a no overtaking zone. The area between Mcleans and Coppice is deemed to be to dangerous and will be covered by yellow flags/lights.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2430540)   #20
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes that is correct, the Mcleans to Coppice area now has zero run off at neither the infield or outfield, it is an extremly dangerous track now, the Yellow flag zone will run from Mcleans approach to Coppice exit, lets hope thats enougth to prevent accidnets into the tunnell wall and earth mounds, looking at the new layout there, if this wasn't a Yellow flag zone there would be several nasty head on accidents into the tunnell wall, luckily the MSA didn't issue a track licence!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2430541)   #21
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Crook View Post
It would appear that Donington has been granted a temporary licence for this weekend, however part of the circuit will be a no overtaking zone. The area between Mcleans and Coppice is deemed to be to dangerous and will be covered by yellow flags/lights.
That's just crazy.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2430576)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds like the biggest cock up since Mons, how can responsible people not look into things like this before proceeding? It beggars belief.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2430583)   #23
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just hope I'm not one of the Flaggies allocated to the restricted area - sounds like a lot of waving and not a lot of action.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2430589)   #24
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's Simon Gillett who bought the track that's at fault, he must be cluless. It's a shame Jonathon Palmer could not be talked into buying the circuit. You only have to look what a nice circuit Oulton has become since he took over, the toliets and venue are so clean and tidy and he employs friendly and helpful staff.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2430592)   #25
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Sounds like the biggest cock up since Mons, how can responsible people not look into things like this before proceeding? It beggars belief.
Me again sorry everyone but what was Mons Al.