Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Apr 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2432123)   #51
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
before I decide whether to cancel my entry or not can somebody just confirm - where will we start being under yellow flags and where will we come out of yellow flags? Will it be on the rise to the right hander after the bridge and then all the way round to Wheatcroft Straight?

As of last night we believe the following will be in force:

For the first lap of practice and the first lap of the race there will be a waved yellow flag from the entry of Macleans (which we think will be post 12, ie on the right to the entrance to the corner) with waved yellow flags at Macleans, the middle post on the straight and the green flag will be at Coppice (which is the high flag post at the back of the gravel trap). In theory we believe that we will also have to show a stationary yellow at post 11 for the first lap (Starkeys Bridge). For all subsequent laps the waved yellow will be changed to stationary yellow.

Please accept my apologies if this proves incorrect, but this was our understanding when we discussed it last night.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2432137)   #52
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
so between Starkeys Bridge and the end of Coppice we cannot overtake? I would suggest that is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the lap
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2432291)   #53
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And there is historical precedence - in the original layout of Donington Starkeys Bridge was single file in races. This is very unfortunate, and the timing of Doningtons announcements leaves a little to be desired but the weather looks good, lets just go and enjoy it!
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2432297)   #54
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Master of Donington has spoken - who am I to disagree!!!
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2432298)   #55
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
And there is historical precedence - in the original layout of Donington Starkeys Bridge was single file in races. This is very unfortunate, and the timing of Doningtons announcements leaves a little to be desired but the weather looks good, lets just go and enjoy it!
Be fair Simon, you could only get one car through the "arch" at a time!!

Are we on for bacon rolls and coffee then?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2432308)   #56
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not actually racing myself, and no customers so just coming to "lurk"! A day off and (hopefully) no responsibilities. All offers of bacon rolls etc v. welcome!
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2432313)   #57
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Not actually racing myself, and no customers so just coming to "lurk"! A day off and (hopefully) no responsibilities. All offers of bacon rolls etc v. welcome!
Simon, I have an idea. How about doing post 14 or 17 for me and you can then report anyone who does not behave themselves!!!
Old 3 Apr 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2432362)   #58
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
Simon, I have an idea. How about doing post 14 or 17 for me and you can then report anyone who does not behave themselves!!!
Thank goodness im at Mallory Sunday
Old 3 Apr 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2432377)   #59
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Any incidents at Masters practise day?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2432416)   #60
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Next Tuesday John.7th.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2432484)   #61
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
All the great and good were at Donnington yesterday.Was it Masters ?
I have had various stories today and wanted to see if they were true

There seems to be a notion doing the rounds that not all things said in Motor Racing are true.Don't know where that came from.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 07:29 (Ref:2432972)   #62
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, there was certainly something going on, apparently. I hear that Mark Hales was out in the last 'real' GT40 built; apparently sold as a kit of parts in period but only just built; historic but no history! Also an alarming accident in a T70 which flipped, by one of the Minshaw clan but driver OK, I understand.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2433016)   #63
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just heard that two people passed under the yellows in Equipe GTS qualifying this morning, and were sent straight home.

The stewards aren't messing about...
Old 4 Apr 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2433037)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I really am struggling with this concept of permanent yellows. I can see the need for them, but really isn't this is only happening so the track doesn't have to refund monies?
Old 4 Apr 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2433041)   #65
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Why dont they just yellow flag the whole track then the result can be determined by the grid positions at qualifing, what a farce.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2433156)   #66
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Remember that Macau has a corner with a permanent yellow and people return there year after year.... I suspect that most results will be as expected!
Old 4 Apr 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2433351)   #67
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't exciting just like proper racing in F1! No passes, blag your way in, usual race to find a space to park in paddock, spectators not wanted, tales of the unexpected from Ferrari International Assistance & Ronald Biggs Racing, no leccy plugs cept for early birds in the corner and the piece de resistance no overtaking for half of the circuit; and a GP to run in little more than a years time. Dr Who is fast becoming fact not fiction.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2433437)   #68
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
John, there was certainly something going on, apparently. I hear that Mark Hales was out in the last 'real' GT40 built; apparently sold as a kit of parts in period but only just built; historic but no history! Also an alarming accident in a T70 which flipped, by one of the Minshaw clan but driver OK, I understand.
I hope that's not the one pulled out of the Thames at Greys,at least the chassis number is real.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2433475)   #69
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I really am struggling with this concept of permanent yellows. I can see the need for them, but really isn't this is only happening so the track doesn't have to refund monies?
I wonder if the clubs concerned felt that they were too close to the meeting to cancel? They had already incurred costs and felt that something was better than nothing and as a licence was granted they couldn't demand to cancel?

Personally in the MSA's shoes I'd be really worried about sanctioning this event even with permanent yellows. I don't really see one could say "we think the track is too dangerous to licence" but then say "oh well it's OK if you don't overtake". Incidents don't always happen when overtaking and I'd be worried that in the event of an adverse incident that DIDN'T involve overtaking it would be difficult to justify licensing a circuit that was felt to be dangerous.

Negligence hinges on something being reasonably forseeable and it seems to me (although I have no facts I've only read what is in the public domain) that by putting in the permanent yellows they are saying that it is reasonably forseeable that there could be an adverse incident with the track in its current state and I don't really see that permanent yellows do enough to solve this.

Fingers crossed this gets sorted swiftly, hopefully we'll know more when the guys get back from this weekend's racing. We're due up there in a couple of weeks for the FPA meeting.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2433491)   #70
simon drabble
Veteran

Whilst it is far from ideal I have decided to race tomorrow as its going to be nice weather and the winter absence has been too long! I gather that the yellow flags are only for a very short part but would welcome some colour from any one there today. Did the masters test day have them? I was supposed to go but was sadly too busy at work
Old 4 Apr 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2433499)   #71
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Ian-You obviously missed this weeks test session at Donnington.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2434396)   #72
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I raced yesterday with the excellent MGCC who coped really well with the problems. There were 3 MSA stewards there and the Clerks were being really tough on those that transgressed.
It does make a difference to the racing, I was quicker though that section than the car in front and he braked earlier coming up to the last yellow of the corner so I could never get a run at him out of the corner. There were rumours of some sort of rebate on entry fees.

The whole thing makes the Donington managment look bad, if they can't do that simple thing right what hope of running a GP? There is certainly no sign of any major work starting and having not been there fro some ten years, I could not believe how far behind Silverstone they were - certainly a massive amount of work to be done by September. Chatting to locals in the pub, they are convinced it won't happen.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2434517)   #73
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like the rest of the population!
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2434566)   #74
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
hscc results?

bigger things have happened terence . . . . it might be England but the BRDC aren't involved, and no doubt efficient cost effective labour will be . . . .
Old 6 Apr 2009, 06:55 (Ref:2434813)   #75
simon drabble
Veteran

Guards Trophy was always going to be the test for the Coppice issue given it carries the largest speed differential. After a few harsh words to a few competitors after quallies the races ran without "racing" incident - there were a few retiree's and sadly a newcomer's 26R suffered from spinning into the wall on oil dropped at the start of Wheatcroft Straight.
For a credit crunch it was good to see several new faces and I hope we continue with such a strong grid at Silverstone. The more genuine Guards Trophy cars that come out the fewer B8's can join!