Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Apr 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2442347)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HSCC - Cadwell - 19 April 2009

The provisional entry list is looking good:-

http://www.hscc.org.uk/resources/Cad...try%20List.pdf

I'm going, and I can see quite a few Ten-Tenthers in the entry list. I believe Marcus P is commentating, and subject to an acceptable quality of pics emerging from my camera, I will, of course, put a few up here.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2442361)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Make sure the re developments don't hit the programme ...................... Oh, sorry Its Cadwell Park not Don.....................
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2442393)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Fantastic John see you at the track.We will be around with the Historic FF2000 cars with the Talbot Motor Home so come and have a cup of tea.That applies to any other 10/10 Er's as well.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:46 (Ref:2442616)   #4
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was going to be at Donington, but I'm heading to this one instead, watching a friend race in the Formula Juniors. Looks like an interesting day of racing! I'm going to take a camera too, not been to Cadwell for around 3 years but I'm guessing there are still plenty of decent photo spots for us amateurs
Old 17 Apr 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2442801)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Its encouraging to see the grids look healthy, and that theres new cars/entrants again in HRSR

not sure what happened to all the championship hunting Anglias ? hopefully the Anglias will make Snetterton and I'll get a decent race again

I'd love to have gone to this as Cadwell is great, but its a long way for us for such a short squirt
Old 17 Apr 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2442805)   #6
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're not that short, Zef...
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2443212)   #7
David Owen
Racer

David Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pleased to say that the response to the call for Marshals has been responded to well.

I hope all concerned have a good day's racing.

Stay safe.

Old 20 Apr 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2445264)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lovely meeting in a great setting, with good weather (although that wind was bit chilly). Some very good racing augmented with commentary by Ian Titchmarsh and Marcus Pye, it could hardly get better. Except for me; I could have done without dropping my camera and damaging my long lens. However, my photography for the day was saved by the generosity of Glenn Summerbell who lent me a much more valuable lens to attach to my camera body. My thanks to Glenn, who I first met at Silverstone 3 or so years ago, and who has since become my adviser on all things photographic. I probably wouldn't have been able to provide any racing pics for this meeting but for him so, I'm going to plug his site, here:-

http://2004.ukmotorsportpics.com/

It was great to meet up with old friends (you know who you are!) plus meet a few new ones. Finally got to meet Colin McKay and his S type Jaguar, and I was also introduced to Frank Lyons and Chris Alford, but was sorry not to catch up with Morninggents and Delta (were you actually there, Iain?).

Below a few Pit & Paddock shots. The race pictorial review maybe slow, however, as I actually have a pretty busy week ahead.
Attached Thumbnails
HSCC - Cadwell - 19 April 2009 003wb.jpg   HSCC - Cadwell - 19 April 2009 010wb.jpg   HSCC - Cadwell - 19 April 2009 013wb.jpg  

HSCC - Cadwell - 19 April 2009 022wb.jpg   HSCC - Cadwell - 19 April 2009 023wb.jpg   HSCC - Cadwell - 19 April 2009 039wb.jpg  

Old 20 Apr 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2445356)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
thats a new Anglia on the scene ? or a repainted 'old' one ? I noticed that three are missing from last yea\rs regulars, competitive cars as well . . .

beautiful FJ's as well . . .
Old 20 Apr 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2445375)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Zef, that's Brian Webb's Anglia; another was entered, by Andrew Law but didn't apear. Dan Cox won the saloon car race, going away in his LC, and although enjoying his victory, was disappointed at the lack of competition and that a number of the usual competitors weren't there.

I agree about the FJs. Those early front engined cars are really growing on me.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 11:26 (Ref:2445395)   #11
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Dan Cox won the saloon car race......was disappointed at the lack of competition
I hate to see anyone disappointed, next time tell him to hang back and I'll try and provide some competition If it's any consolation, it was lonely in the middle too!
Old 20 Apr 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2445405)   #12
scott19
Rookie

scott19 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John- Any of FF2000 car number 19?
Old 20 Apr 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2445452)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We had our BBQ fo HistoricFF2000 drivers and freinds Sat evening. Poor old Alan was distrought as we recon someone had some of the beer away overnight.Hope whoever enjoyed.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2445458)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I want an FJ, it'll have to be Long wheel base though!

I hope, and I'm sure Dan will get more competition as the season goes on, but its not easy as he has a very quick car and he's one of the best tin top drivers out there.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2445493)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott19 View Post
John- Any of FF2000 car number 19?
When I get to that race, I'll have a look, but it'll be a while yet.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2445510)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!

Is this the same Anglebox ? Chris Fearon about 1992 ?
It looks like a perfect overtaking manoeuvre to me
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Apr 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2445544)   #17
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
We had our BBQ fo HistoricFF2000 drivers and freinds Sat evening. Poor old Alan was distrought as we recon someone had some of the beer away overnight.Hope whoever enjoyed.
Thats grim indeed Iain, so scumbags exist even in HSCC circles. I was thinking as I walked the Paddock how good it was that lots of the caravans/motorhomes etc were open, and left unattended, owners trusting their fellow competitors/colleagues honesty. I must have been thinking about poor Bruce Fullertons thefts reported last week.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2445547)   #18
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pics I took here: http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...0Cadwell%2009/

Great weather, close racing and good friends made the day. Though, some of the standards were a little....I don't know, ''rude''? I don't know what caused the damage to the left side of Brian Webb's Anglia, but he was run off the road and ended up in the armco on the top of the Mountain after getting a good run up the hill. Also, similar circumstances involving a Mini and an Imp, thankfully there was no contact and both could continue.

Neil Fowler and Alan Harper's comeback drives through the field in their races were major highlights!
Old 20 Apr 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2445551)   #19
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brian did some testing at Cadwell on the Friday and had a little off at the hairpin - he'd not raced at the circuit before. Luckily the damage to the right side at the top of the mountain wasn't as bad as the left side damage.

I thnk the car was John Bygrave's blue and white car from the mid-nineties that went to Ralph Stevenson then was laid up for a while. It was then sold at auction (Silverstone?) 4 or 5 years back and purchased by Roland Stoate who changed the colour to orange and raced it a few times before it was laid up again.

Nice colour and takes me back to Chris Craft's saloon days.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 19:36 (Ref:2445791)   #20
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think we may have had one of the regular Anglias with us at Anglesey.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 21 Apr 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2446083)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 1 - Historic Road Sports

22 Starters; 20 finishers (unfortunately, the two non finishers were at the 'pointy' end). The race was over 20 minutes (12 laps).

Last year Julian Dodd had taken the lead off the start from the 2nd row in the wet in his TVR Griffith V8, so it was no problem for him to do the same this year from the 3rd row in the dry! He hit the front well before turning into Coppice, chased by the Elans of Andrew Marler (pole), Paul Toombs and Peter Shaw, and the Sevens of Martin Halliday and Andy Shepherd, Loti making up in numbers what they couldn't in engine size. The battle at the front was intense, with Dodd holding a slender lead from the squabbling Marler and Toombs, with Shaw and Halliday staying close, too. However all bets on whether the TVR could hold off the Lotus horde were off on lap 6 when the Griffith slowed and pulled off as his pursuers swept passed. Thereafter there was an immense struggle between Toombs and Marler, with Toombs leading for quite a while, but it was Marler who finally turned his pole position to victory. The Elans took a 1-2-3, but the gaps between Marler, Toombs and Shaw were much greater at the end than they had been during the race and were certainly not indicative of it. Halliday's Lotus Seven had pressed Shaw very hard but failed to complete lap 11, leaving Shaw safe from 4th place Shepherd.

Below, you can see how quickly Dodd hit the front off the line; Richard Owen's 18th place Triumph TR2, oldest (and only Class F) car in the race, followed by a rather poor shot, but it does show the Class D winning Porsche 911S of Robert Barrie passing the Elan of Barry Ashdown as they head toward the Mountain section. They finished 5th and 6th respectively. Next is the Triumph TR5 of James Owen who was 8th overall, but had to give best in Class B to fellow TR5 regular, Colin Sharp, who finished ahead of him by just under 3 seconds. Paul Garside was final finisher in the pretty Lotus Elite, beaten in his class E by the Dick Coffey, David Rees Turners but as you can see enthusiastically driven nonetheless, and 15th overall was class winner Vicki Bankhurst, in the TVR Grantura Mk111:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4269wl4.jpg   IMG_4283wl4.jpg   IMG_4327wl4.jpg  

IMG_4366wl4.jpg   IMG_4450wl4.jpg   IMG_4464wl4.jpg  

Old 22 Apr 2009, 06:21 (Ref:2446771)   #22
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
mark garritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello John,

Super photos, did you happen to get any of the saloons?

Cheers

Mark
Old 22 Apr 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2446816)   #23
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were flames coming out the underside of the white/green elite at the bottom of the mountain. Didnt seem to slow him down though.

John thanks for the push btw and hope your camera lens is ok.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2447148)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Mark, yes, but patience please; all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

James, I had no idea that an FF2000 would be so hard to push - 3 of us uphill and still struggling! Lens is at repairers.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2447170)   #25
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Police were called to our meeting at Anglesey after some gear was stolen on Sunday. Not sure of what went missing but the boys in blue prowled the paddock for a while.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang