Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 May 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2461291)   #101
Andrew Busby
Rookie

Andrew Busby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
Well looking at the photos Andy it does indeed look great! What is the history of the car, was it originally a road shell?
As for poaching him away from the CSCC Andy97, my motives are purely selfish, i just wanna see a proper M3 on full chat
Simon
It's an ex-Geoff Steel car which has been built up from a road car.....no Gp A DTM heritage but then if it had, not sure would be eligible for the various series I'm running it in. It's been racing in both CTCRC Pre-93 and TTRS series over last few seasons during which time lot of credit goes to Dave Kear at MTech who began the transformation. But over the winter, with SVG Motorsport, really decided to build it into the race car I've always wanted. Funny how these things have a habit of assuming a life of their own eh? One thing leads to another but as I've said, am really pleased with what we've ended up with.

Encouraging thing is there's so much more to come as a number of areas are still pretty close to being standard. Think this really shows the benefit of having a well balanced car without trying to be too outrageous in any particular area. Also helps to have a good strong engine, this one from JC Racing, who really have delivered.

As for E30 M3's - having had 2 roadcars before this one I just love them....thing that does it for me is the fact that they were originally built for racing so have the pedigree.....and they are so easy to drive....make idiots like me look like we might even know what we're doing! Heaven
Old 13 May 2009, 07:28 (Ref:2461447)   #102
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
As for poaching him away from the CSCC Andy97, my motives are purely selfish, i just wanna see a proper M3 on full chat
Simon
Simon, I'm just selfish, too. I want the CSCC series to be the best club series going!
Old 13 May 2009, 07:39 (Ref:2461455)   #103
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37 View Post
As an aside (and here I run the risk of starting a new thread...) as someone who runs an early 70's car (thanks Hugo et al) in the Swinging 60's I do see a problem with a 70's/80's series which is the area of developement. My car (1974 Fiat 128sl) is based on 60's technology so it would be murdered by say an early Golf Gti or Corsa. The same could go for a '72 BMW 15/16/2002 against a '78 323i, instantly making such cars useless. I have no answers to this debate but, out of total selfishness of course, bring in an Italian car series within all CSCC grids......

There is starting to be a move towards developing a seperate '70s series within the CSCC format by the sound of it but its not that easy within the time available, & can anyone guarantee grids of 20 (ish) regularly without adversley affecting the other existing CSCC series. The Future Classics series is meant to be for cars from 70s and 80s & whilst I take the point about the difference in technology across that 20 year timespan I just think there needs to a seperate & defined 70s class within Future Classics. If you want this to happen, you need to lobby the committee & attend the drivers meeting (which I think is due to be held the morning after the annual dinner Date TBC) to make your point.

Not sure about an all Italian race series - it was done before, The Auto-Italia series in the late 1990s & early 2000s (backed by the magazine of the same name). It was very popular for a while (my Fiat won it in 2002 when Neil Smith owned it & I think my old Alfa 33 won it in 2003 with Roger Donnan!! Both cars must have been mightily disappointed when I started racing them!!!!) but gradually died a death and morphed into the now very succesful LMA EuroSaloons & Sports Car series.
Old 13 May 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2461611)   #104
FirebirdUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Twickenham
FirebirdUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Good stuff! Looks like you could do with a stiffer rear end to dial out that understeer, then you could get the power down a bit earlier.
Yeah we were playing around with the rear around that time, think we went with a stiffer anti roll bar in the end to get it a bit more slidey. Although I leave all that stuff to my mechanic and erstwhile Ascar champ, Robin Gray of Autopontiac. All a bit irrelevant now given that i dont have much rear end left

Cheers!
Old 13 May 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2461621)   #105
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The problem is as you describe. The castor makes the fast sweeps fun, but you can't get the back round in the tight bits. That's why you need the harder rear end. Won't take long to bash that ding out though.
Old 13 May 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2462045)   #106
TR8ER#7
Rookie

England
Castle Donington
TR8ER#7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdUK View Post
Thanks for your concern Louise, and great to see you again. Fortunately managed to get the slightly shortened beast home on a flatbed in the end. I don't think I would have got away with peeling the numbers off and calling the AA this time round...

Car is fixable (more than can be said for the porsche by the looks of things), just need time and lolly.

Despite all the hoo har had a great day out. A great, friendly lot the CSCC!
Glad to hear it's fixable - how many tins of p38 will you need?

Hope to see you back in Future Classics soon
Old 14 May 2009, 05:37 (Ref:2462117)   #107
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome TR8ER#7.
Old 14 May 2009, 07:26 (Ref:2462140)   #108
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Firebird sorry to see that picture, thats always every racers nightmare when parked in the gravel.

I have an aftermarket very stiff rear anti-roll bar (inch plus I believe) I have just taken off the Camaro and you are welcome to make me a reasonable offer for it. However I would concerntrate on getting the front end to stick rather than get the rear to break away. What engine have you fitted BTW? Olds, Pontaic or Chevy as you could run any of them legally i would have thought.

If you want any advise give me a shout I also have a few bits and pieces including a wrecker but they are all camaro stuff but a lot of cross compatability as you know.

Oh and watch that Andrew Busby I have heard he does'nt like us yank drivers!
Old 14 May 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2462429)   #109
Andrew Busby
Rookie

Andrew Busby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh and watch that Andrew Busby I have heard he does'nt like us yank drivers!

Al - you are absolutely correct - I don't like yank drivers......I love them - you know I do!

Here's hoping weather behaves for Silverstone this weekend - looking forward to some good racing.
Old 14 May 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2462471)   #110
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
The problem is as you describe. The castor makes the fast sweeps fun, but you can't get the back round in the tight bits. That's why you need the harder rear end. Won't take long to bash that ding out though.
I said.

Meaning that it all looked really well balanced in the faster corners. It really looked like a nightmare to turn in at Druids and indeed Stirling Bend at Brands though (assuming that was Firebird). Very similar to the movie from Silverstone Club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
However I would concentrate on getting the front end to stick rather than get the rear to break away.
So it really is a slow speed unsticking thing Al.
Old 14 May 2009, 20:10 (Ref:2462586)   #111
TR8ER#7
Rookie

England
Castle Donington
Quote:
Welcome TR8ER#7.
Thanks - I've been a spectator for a few weeks & finally registered.

.....and to confirm how lazy I am I'll use this post to respond to some previous posts:

NiG_21: Why can't you encourage some slower cars instead of fast ones all the time? [I know it's selfish but I like more cars behind than infront!]

davidgt4: Sorry to hear that you got a nerf. Despite some very close racing I've found the Future Classics very clean. Hope the damage isn't bad.

jonbryant: Great pics from Brands - I must buy one of my errant codriver to shame him!
Old 14 May 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2462601)   #112
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Martyn,

Wellcome to the forum. I see your errant co-driver did get a little agricultural!
Old 14 May 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2462614)   #113
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think one of the problems is if he is running an Olds or Pontiac engine they are a lot heavier 'Big Block' unit although I believe the Pontiac 454 can produce some awesome BHP. Thats why most opt for the far cheaper to prepare and much lighter small block chevy unit which is why I asked what engine he had. I am only speaking from personal experience having spun my car into the pit wall on the warm up lap on a wet Silverstone last year and several times spun in front of the pack and got away with it and also several other spins including one at the Thruxton chicane all after I stiffened the rear end up. I have changed a few things for this weekend including getting rid of the Bismark spec rear anti roll-bar and putting back a standard TransAm one but that may even come off if its wet, we will see. I only put the bigger one on because the car was understeering but I think I should have made more effort to get the front to stick than getting the back to break away to compensate as the net result is overall less grip something I hope I have done now I will report back on Monday if its any better. Also one of the problems with our regs is the 4inch ride height rule which severly hurt my cars handling as it altered the instant centres after I raised it, I with they would drop this down to a sensible 3 inchs. Below is how she used to handle, look at the back biting in and giving it to the Capris!

Only kidding Andy see you at the weekend.
Old 14 May 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2462616)   #114
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR8ER#7 View Post

jonbryant: Great pics from Brands - I must buy one of my errant codriver to shame him!
Welcome to the forum! And I dare say I have a few more than the ones in the gallery! Which one is your co-driver?

Edit - Ah just worked out who it would be. He got some serious air but I was hiding the camera from the gravel that came up and showered me!
Old 15 May 2009, 17:47 (Ref:2463037)   #115
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the forum Martyn
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 15 May 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2463152)   #116
TR8ER#7
Rookie

England
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant View Post
Welcome to the forum! And I dare say I have a few more than the ones in the gallery! Which one is your co-driver?

Edit - Ah just worked out who it would be. He got some serious air but I was hiding the camera from the gravel that came up and showered me!
How you can misjudge people!!

I was certain he was reliable. The in car video showed how many revs he got on the start......... now I hear got "serious air"

He said he'd offer me a drive in his car after the rebuild. I was worried about damaging it - but now no worries!
Old 15 May 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2463154)   #117
TR8ER#7
Rookie

England
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Welcome to the forum Martyn
Thanks Wayne

The similarity in paint schemes was completely unintentional ()
Old 17 May 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2464112)   #118
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are some more photos from the ol' man
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/classic-...tml?KW=#505269

Simon
Old 18 May 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2464498)   #119
FirebirdUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Twickenham
Quote:
Glad to hear it's fixable - how many tins of p38 will you need?
Heheh enough! Car will be fixed though, and I have a new motor lined up for it, some im hoping we'll be back before the year is out.

Thanks for the beer by the way - much needed!

My mate took a couple of funky pics of your steed in the pits, if you're interested:

http://www.imagemonkey.co.uk/brandshatch/

Nice looking camaro Al, you still running that? Thanks for the offer of bits, I think we have everything we need here as have been having a whip round the Pontiac Owners Club.

We've got the handling about as good as we can get now without altering the suspension significantly, or compromising the handling in the faster corners. Luckily i've got this guy on my side with regards to getting the most out of what we've got:

http://www.autopontiac.co.uk/about.shtml

The engine is (was) a 70's 2 bolt main pontiac 400. Pretty stock as I was previously with the HSCC. Hence the weak bottom end. The next 400 i will be running should hopefully be a bit more robust, as we have far less restrictions to adhere to with the CSCC. The car needs lightening too, its still 1650kgs as per hscc regs.

Cheers!
Old 18 May 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2464805)   #120
TR8ER#7
Rookie

England
Castle Donington
Yes the pics are very funky. He e-mailed me the ones of my car last week. The others are cool too.
Old 19 May 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2465249)   #121
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks Wayne

The similarity in paint schemes was completely unintentional ()
Hmm, V8, similar paint.............you could be a Moosehead Motorsport representative in FC, I have some spare stickers
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 20 May 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2465508)   #122
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdUK View Post
Heheh enough! Car will be fixed though, and I have a new motor lined up for it, some im hoping we'll be back before the year is out.

Thanks for the beer by the way - much needed!

My mate took a couple of funky pics of your steed in the pits, if you're interested:

http://www.imagemonkey.co.uk/brandshatch/

Nice looking camaro Al, you still running that? Thanks for the offer of bits, I think we have everything we need here as have been having a whip round the Pontiac Owners Club.

We've got the handling about as good as we can get now without altering the suspension significantly, or compromising the handling in the faster corners. Luckily i've got this guy on my side with regards to getting the most out of what we've got:

http://www.autopontiac.co.uk/about.shtml

The engine is (was) a 70's 2 bolt main pontiac 400. Pretty stock as I was previously with the HSCC. Hence the weak bottom end. The next 400 i will be running should hopefully be a bit more robust, as we have far less restrictions to adhere to with the CSCC. The car needs lightening too, its still 1650kgs as per hscc regs.

Cheers!
Like the pics of the GTO - is there a way to download from that site? Does not appear to be on mu mouse Button 2!
Old 20 May 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2465622)   #123
FirebirdUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Twickenham
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
Like the pics of the GTO - is there a way to download from that site? Does not appear to be on mu mouse Button 2!
Yeah lovely looking goat! Seems to be a flash album, so not right clickable - the simplest way is going to be take a screen print, then paste into Photoshop/Paint etc.
Old 20 May 2009, 22:04 (Ref:2466036)   #124
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Firebird: Yes I know Robin from AutoPontiac, nice fellow. Dont modify it too much that you cannot come out for a race with us now and then in Post Historics as it would be great to have another 2nd gen yank out and our cars should be well matched. Our rules are far more relaxed than HSCC Road sports but not quite as free as CSCC but as I believe they run a penality system even built too our regs you could run in both with prehaps a tyre change. Your car is fair bit overweight so more to come. If you are still running the sliding calipers I have some brand new race grade pads and 11 inch grooved discs that have come into my possession that wont fit my car that could be purchased for a reasonable price.