Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Nov 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2989597)   #1
europa
Rookie

europa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spirit of the Sixties/Crosslé Challenge 2012

I'm pleased to announce that in 2012, BARC will be running a series of 40 minute double header races. Highly commended by all who raced last year, the Crosslé 9S Challenge is now to run alongside The Spirit of the Sixties.

As the name suggests, it's for sports racing and GT cars of the '60s, whether built in period or not, original spec or sympathetically modified, so long as they're within the spirit of the period. It will appeal to those who'd like to re-create the era's atmosphere and enjoy good racing and good fun. There's no requirement to comply with modern historic paperwork rules.

Owners of exciting eligible cars have already expressed an interest. These include the Elva Mk7, Lotus 23 and 26R, Ginetta G12, Sturgess, Nerus, Chevron B8, GT40 and Group 7/CanAm cars.

Organised on a not for profit basis by the Crosslé Owners Group, the races will be extremely good value, with a 30 minute practice and two 40 minute races per event, and a pit stop to encourage shared drives. Entry fees will average about £550.

Dates and venues are tba, it's hoped towards the end of December or early January.

So if you're up for it, visit the COG website - http://www.crossleownersgroup.com/?page_id=468 - for provisional regs and to register your interest. It should be a lot of fun.

Gwyn Pollard
Old 21 Nov 2011, 13:37 (Ref:2989606)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This sounds like a good initiative, although the Chevrons are already catered for by the HSCC.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2989695)   #3
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting - another possible place to run our Sprite, subject to the still missing engine. Will mention the series to the cars' owner.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 21 Nov 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2989702)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Another class!

Just what Historic Racing needed.

At least its for re-engineered cars so may have a place in the world along with those re-engineered Crossle's
Old 22 Nov 2011, 05:44 (Ref:2989881)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Another class!

Just what Historic Racing needed.

At least its for re-engineered cars so may have a place in the world along with those re-engineered Crossle's
Whilst agreeing with your first point, I think the thrust of this is your last sentence. There is a place for continuations and if these cars can attract good grids and also cater for the originals then it must be a good thing for the owners. Clearly people like to race them otherwise there'd be no market for them. Also is it really a "historic" class or a stand alone series? I think the latter. Finally, how many original Crossles race with HSCC, Masters or whoever?
Old 22 Nov 2011, 07:06 (Ref:2989896)   #6
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2x40 min races per event! I hope you get the grids you need
Old 22 Nov 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2989987)   #7
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I,m definitely up for this if i am eligible, and that the regulations stick to an "historic 60s" format even for the replicas.

There is , right now, a great opportunity to have a very healthy and varied grid for this new series providing that it is well regulated and they do not allow the outrageous under "original skin" modifications to creep in.

Monster brakes, trick suspensions, carbon fibre, non original diameter rims and rubber band tyres, etc, have helped kill other historic based races, as well as extortionate entry fees. There are out there many people anxious to race original and good replicas together, provided they are on an even keel.

Incedentally, BARC, told me this morning that you will have to join them to race in the series and that is another £105 .... how many races will there be, and where ?

I await with eager anticipation the regulations.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2990087)   #8
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post

Incedentally, BARC, told me this morning that you will have to join them to race in the series and that is another £105 .... how many races will there be, and where ?
As mentioned in other threads this is what is killing our sport, why do we have to join BARC, what do I get from them for my £105?
Old 22 Nov 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2990145)   #9
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
As mentioned in other threads this is what is killing our sport, why do we have to join BARC, what do I get from them for my £105?
Does the £105 apply to a one off race? or does it only apply if more than one race is being done?
Old 22 Nov 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2990162)   #10
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

I have to say that if the speed, efficiency and friendliness of the replies, including the regulations, are anything to go by, then this series is going to be a winner. All received by email within a few hours of me learning about this new initiative today and asking if i was eligible.

Go to the COG websight and register your interest now if you have a original or good replica sports car and have found yourself without the races you once had and enjoyed. I think this strength of promotion and leadership is just the ticket.

...... and no, i,m not in their pay, but with the SRGT,s very small grids now and amalgamating with kit cars, Heritage GT hiccupping, etc, etc, this initiative must be supported.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2990471)   #11
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Interesting - another possible place to run our Sprite, subject to the still missing engine. Will mention the series to the cars' owner.
Still no engine matey?
Old 23 Nov 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2990508)   #12
Moosehead
Veteran

Nope, not yet but the car owner has paid the engine builder another £900 to go towards what was supposedly a 'free' build You have to wonder don't you.

BTW, good to hear from you, haven't seen any posts from you recently.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2992069)   #13
jacobyte
Rookie

United Kingdom
jacobyte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could well be up for this, and will have a look at the COG website.

GT917, thanks for pointing me here when we spoke at Snetterton on Saturday. The attention to detail on your 917 is such a pleasure to see, even the way the bonnet fasteners close symmetrically - but be careful or you'll soon become a Ron Dennis sympathiser (or is it too late for that?!).
Old 28 Nov 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2992324)   #14
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyte View Post
I could well be up for this, and will have a look at the COG website.

GT917, thanks for pointing me here when we spoke at Snetterton on Saturday. The attention to detail on your 917 is such a pleasure to see, even the way the bonnet fasteners close symmetrically - but be careful or you'll soon become a Ron Dennis sympathiser (or is it too late for that?!).
Great to see you and your colleague on Saturday, as well as that beast of a car of yours.

I like your Ron Dennis comment, but the fasteners are only fitted as Porsche did in the first place and i do try to be as true to the historic side of things as possible.

COG and the strong leadership have, in my opinion, got the right idea with this new initiative. It is going to have the right balance(i hope) to attract many of the cars and drivers with the correct historically based set ups, and not allow the outlandish "under the historic skin" modified vehicles that are not in the spirit and fair to the others.

I do hope that you will, like me, be part of this series, and that you too will spread the word.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2993367)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
...... and no, i,m not in their pay, but with the SRGT,s very small grids now and amalgamating with kit cars, Heritage GT hiccupping, etc, etc, this initiative must be supported.
sorry to sound pedantic but what isthe different between a replica and a kit car? And is it a bad thing if SRGT (not actually sure what that is) and kit cars amalgamate given a replica 917 racing with a Crossle would be the similar mix?
Please do not think I am having a pop at the zetec Crossles or indeed your 917 as I am not - merely confused by your view
Old 30 Nov 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2993409)   #16
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
sorry to sound pedantic but what isthe different between a replica and a kit car?
It depends on your point of view. Would you call something like a Lynx Dtype a kit? If so then there's no difference. I never quite got the term kit unless you are talking about a Caterham or Westfield type car which literally comes as a box of bits that you bolt together, not much else does.

BTW the SRGTC is for sports racing and GT cars pre 76, whether built in period or not, original spec or sympathetically modified, so long as they're within the spirit of the period, more here

Last edited by Tim Falce; 30 Nov 2011 at 11:08.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2993484)   #17
MylesC
Rookie

MylesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the difference is .....A kit car is a car sold in kit form. A replica is car built to replicate another car. So not always the same. For example.

The Revival D-type. This is a replica of the Jaguar D-type, but not a kit car as it is manufactured and sold as a complete car not a kit.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2993509)   #18
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Most kit cars are just cars in their own right and have nothing to do with replicating anything.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2993519)   #19
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
sorry to sound pedantic but what isthe different between a replica and a kit car? And is it a bad thing if SRGT (not actually sure what that is) and kit cars amalgamate given a replica 917 racing with a Crossle would be the similar mix?
Please do not think I am having a pop at the zetec Crossles or indeed your 917 as I am not - merely confused by your view
Oh dear, Mr Drabble,

I don,t think anyone is going to rise to this stupid comment, especially the first sentence.

Just leave this new initiative to COG and those of us with real, usable properly constructed cars, some of which have very long historic race records, to have a great series.

You are not confused, just antagonistic.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2993530)   #20
europa
Rookie

europa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Kit Cars which Graham was referring to as having amalgamated with the SR&GT Challenge (strictly they've been sharing races) was a specific 750MC championship, with detailed rules on engine spec etc, very few of the cars involved, if any, being intended to look like any other car.

Also, although we're pleased he's responded enthusiastically to the announcement of our new series, Graham has nothing to do with its organisation, and any opinions he expresses about it on this forum are just that, his opinions.

Gwyn

Crosslé Owners' Group
Old 2 Dec 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2994494)   #21
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
For the record, i have contacted Simon Drabble privately to explain my feelings regarding the replica issue and apologised for my harshness in my reply to his post.

GT.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2994543)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and I replied telling him that he had confused me with the resident grumply old man that is JR!
no offence was meant or taken on both sides...
Old 3 Dec 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2994687)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easily done Simon!
However,I do see/understand your question,a replica,as far as the term is applied,comes out as something that is manufactured to a very similar method to the original. Whereas a kit would be supplied in a broken down form,only resembling the original in shape/looks.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2994743)   #24
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done you two for endeavouring to resolve rather than escalate. Wise heads!
Old 8 Dec 2011, 07:29 (Ref:2996866)   #25
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest (I don't have the means to run one) but will things like Clubmans Mallocks be eligible?