Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Dec 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2997460)   #26
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Just out of interest (I don't have the means to run one) but will things like Clubmans Mallocks be eligible?
That is an interesting point Andy. Are Clubman cars allowed?
Old 9 Dec 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2997654)   #27
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Just out of interest (I don't have the means to run one) but will things like Clubmans Mallocks be eligible?
I would suspect not. There doesn't appear to be any actual regs on the COG site yet, just an intro and comments. Stictly speaking Clubmans are "Sports Racing Cars" and I believe the cars of interest to this group are Sports Cars used for racing, depends how the Blue book defines them. Clubmans have never been a production vehicle (in total maybe 300 built since the 60's?).

The COG site says Sports Racing cars but I don't think that is by the Blue book definition, the key phrase is "as long as they're within the spirit of the period".
It will be interesting to see if we can get an answer from a member of the COG's team on this. There are a number of Classic Clubmans cars competing now, HSCC have allowed the A Class cars to run in the Derek Bell so it may be good to have somewhere else to run as well, although of course we always then run the risk of weakening our own core grid numbers.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2997659)   #28
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't mean to advocate weakening the Clubmans Register's own series but the more places there are to run these fantastic cars then the more attractive they are as potential purchases, particularly at current prices. 40 min races may also be an attraction to some. COG want grid numbers &, personally, I can't think of much else that evokes the "spirit of the 60s" more than a Mallock, even up to the later Mk 20/21s types.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 23:37 (Ref:2997802)   #29
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
I agree with you there Andy. There may be a risk of weakened grids for the register championship, but equally if there are more places to run the cars then we may get more out of peoples garages.
The cut off date for Classic Clubmans is 81, that was done to include the Mallock Mk21, just before Arthur started getting clever with his TAM suspension I believe.
40 minute races though... last year we went to 20 min races instead of 20mls but the consensus was that was too long (it also cut our practice time), not sure the Classic drivers (as opposed to the cars) would last that long Most cars would need new fuel tanks as well.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2997925)   #30
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If a Mallock is described as a sports racer isn't that the same as a Crossle etc... surely a sports racer is a car capable of taking two seats. If a Mallock can do that then I see no reason why they shoudl be excluded. However I do accept this then opens up Caterhams etc....
Old 10 Dec 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2997939)   #31
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
If a Mallock is described as a sports racer isn't that the same as a Crossle etc... surely a sports racer is a car capable of taking two seats. If a Mallock can do that then I see no reason why they shoudl be excluded. However I do accept this then opens up Caterhams etc....
Lotus 7s maybe, but surely not Caterhams!
Old 10 Dec 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2997976)   #32
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggispeed View Post
I agree with you there Andy. There may be a risk of weakened grids for the register championship, but equally if there are more places to run the cars then we may get more out of peoples garages.
The cut off date for Classic Clubmans is 81, that was done to include the Mallock Mk21, just before Arthur started getting clever with his TAM suspension I believe.
40 minute races though... last year we went to 20 min races instead of 20mls but the consensus was that was too long (it also cut our practice time), not sure the Classic drivers (as opposed to the cars) would last that long Most cars would need new fuel tanks as well.
I apologise if this is going down a rabbit hole that the COG do not want but I thought that the Classic cut off of 81 was to distinguish those earlier cars from the cars that appeared with attempts at Ground Effect - tunnels & diffusers etc.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the Clubmans style cars are definately considerd to be "Sports Racers" (although plenty have also appeared in single seater races, sans wheels covering bodywork) & were in theory designed to take two seats, as the natural race car development of Lotus 7 style cars.

As for 20 mins as opposed to 40 mins, then its worth noting that i believe the COG races are to have a pit stop so that two drivers can take part, endurance style. (An added benefit being shared costs).

Not that i have the talent or the funds to run one (particularly the talent!), but a Mallock Mk 18 to 21 with a Clubmans Cup spec K-Series, or better still a Vauxhall 2 litre would be great cars for the "Spirit of the 60s" class IMO.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2998482)   #33
europa
Rookie

europa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankly, we hadn't considered Clubmans cars as they already have a successful series and we wouldn't wish to dilute their efforts. Anyone with a 60s Clubmans, or any other car that they think might be suitable and they'd like to enter, should get in touch via the COG website with details of the car, and we'll have a think and respond.

Gwyn
Old 11 Dec 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2998515)   #34
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Not that i have the talent or the funds to run one (particularly the talent!), but a Mallock Mk 18 to 21 with a Clubmans Cup spec K-Series, or better still a Vauxhall 2 litre would be great cars for the "Spirit of the 60s" class IMO.
But what is 'Spirit of the 60s' regarding Rover K series or Vauxhall 2 litres?
Old 11 Dec 2011, 23:13 (Ref:2998576)   #35
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
But what is 'Spirit of the 60s' regarding Rover K series or Vauxhall 2 litres?
Agreed! I would have thought a crossflow was 'in the spirit' but not Rover K or Vauxhall red top types.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2998652)   #36
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Same "spirit" as the Ford Zetec in the Crossle's
Old 14 Dec 2011, 16:44 (Ref:2999740)   #37
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
Don't want to go down a similar rabbit hole with Andy Our cut off date for Classic Clubmans was specifically to allow up to the Mallock Mk21 but exclude later cars with better suspension geometry, we didn't get into ground effects etc until later on.
Clubmans are technically defined as "Sports Racing Cars" and yes a natural development of the Lotus 7. You're right Andy they have run as single seaters, in fact a couple of Mallocks were specifically built as Formula Fords (and can still be see at the Gold Cup)
Interesting point about the engine's, maybe the answer is to allow cars that comply with the current Calssic Clubmans regs, which is all crossflows, K engines run in the modern Clubmans Cup formula but Vauxhalls are not used in the register championship.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 18:28 (Ref:3000382)   #38
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall seeing Richard/Ray Mallock racing in F3 in what was basically a Clubmans' car.

Why, I don't exactly know, because F3 has always been a sheit formula ever since those boring flat-as-a-fart restricted engines were introduced in the early seventies.

Get rid of the aero, shoot the Race Engineers, and bring back the MAE! Then you might see some talented drivers emerge from F3 once again....
Old 19 Dec 2011, 18:29 (Ref:3001953)   #39
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
Yes Clubmans cars have run in F3, the A Sport cars of the period had very similar lap times, and for a fraction of the cost.
Yes the 1000cc F3 screamers are great, and of course can still be seen around > www.1000ccf3historicracingassociation.org.uk
Old 21 Dec 2011, 14:04 (Ref:3002703)   #40
europa
Rookie

Dates for the Spirit of the '60s series have now been settled, and they're:

28/29 April, Croft
19 May, Oulton Park
18/19 August, Pembrey
1/2 September, Rockingham
30 September, Mallory

In addition, we're encouraging SotS competitors to enter the 360 MRC's Endurance Festival's support race at Snetterton on 5/6 May.

Details of overseas fixtures to follow.

Can't wait.

Gwyn
Old 21 Dec 2011, 23:11 (Ref:3002948)   #41
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a noise limit?
Old 13 Feb 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3025155)   #42
europa
Rookie

Those lovely people at the 360 Motor Racing Club have allowed us to clutter up their stand at Race Retro with one of the Crosslés that'll be appearing in their 6 Hours' support races, so if anyone visiting the show would like to come along to chat about the 360 or the new Spirit of the '60s series, please do.

SotS are also having a pre-season get together at Gold Track's 17 March Silverstone GP track day. It'll be a chance for drivers to meet up, shake down their cars, check out the opposition and generally swap bull. Anyone interested in entering SotS is welcome to come along to our garage, find out more about the series, and have a bite and a cuppa. If you want to bring your car, places are filling up and it's first come, first served, via Gold Track.

Finally, if anyone planning to enter SotS fancies racing at Spa and/or Monza this season, please get in touch on racing@crossleownersgroup.com or via the website.

Gwyn Pollard
http://www.crossleownersgroup.com/?page_id=468
Old 5 Mar 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3035246)   #43
europa
Rookie

Spa Summer Classic entries etc

The entry forms for UK drivers wishing to compete in the Crosslé/Spa Ardennes Challenge race at the Spa Summer Classic meeting (15/16/17 June) are now available, via the Crosslé Owners Group website or by emailing racing@crossleownersgroup.com . We're expecting this to be very popular, so if you fancy it, don't hang about. All Spirit of the '60s cars will be eligible, plus the usual variety of other '50s - '70s devices. The fee is £620 per car for this 90 minute race, with scope for shared drives, and the meeting's always a lot of fun - the highlight of many drivers' season.

The date of the Pembrey SotS weekend has been changed from that originally announced, to earlier in August. The dates are now:

28/29 April, Croft - BARC
19 May, Oulton Park - BARC
4/5 August, Pembrey - BARC
1/2 September, Rockingham - BARC
30 September, Mallory - BARC

15/17 June, Spa Summer Classic, Crosslé/Spa Ardennes Challenge
22/23 September, Monza, SCS Trophy

+ there's the 360 Motor Club's support race at Snetterton, on 5 May.

The winter cobweb-removal session at Gold Track's 17 March Silverstone GP trackday is approaching, so we're hoping for good weather to encourage the gleaming cars and their rusty owners out of the garage.

Finally, the Spirit of the '60s registration and eligibility forms will be on the COG and BARC.net websites soon, so do please fill 'em in and send them off.

Gwyn
www.crossleownersgroup.com
Old 21 Mar 2012, 09:23 (Ref:3045829)   #44
europa
Rookie

Well, a good time was had by all at Silverstone for the pre-season shakedown on St Patrick's day. A damp track had dried by late morning so there was plenty of opportunity to blow cobwebs away around the GP circuit and assess the competition, as well as catch up on the gossip.

It was great to see not only Arnie Black from Crosslé Cars, but also the factory's chief engineers, car builders and mechanics, Adrian and Michael, who offered outstanding support and advice to many of the drivers throughout the day, and were kind enough not to laugh at some owners' attempts at preparation and set-up.

Arnie demonstrated one of Eamonn's fleet (sensible offers considered) to interested parties, and some less committed passengers, such as my Mrs. I'm a little concerned that she claimed to feel safer with Arnie round Silverstone then with me on the Queen's Highway, but that's the hallmark of a seriously handy driver I guess.

Visitors to the Crosslé pit garage included FVee champ and general hotshoe Jez Clark, and Autosport's Ben Anderson, both of whom enjoyed a drive in the purple (I'm afraid so) car of Mark Hobbs and complimented the great handling and turn of speed it delivers. I'm pretty sure "It's a real hooligan's car" was meant as a compliment anyway.

Many thanks to Cathy and Do for keeping the troops fed and watered throughout the day.

Roll on Croft on 28 April.

Gwyn
Attached Thumbnails
intED.jpg   intEE.jpg   intEF.jpg  

Old 16 Apr 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3060345)   #45
europa
Rookie

Just a reminder that the deadline's looming for entries to the Croft Spirit of the '60s/Crosslé Challenge races on 28/29 April - details and forms at the BARC site - http://www.barc.net/index.php?option...=115&Itemid=45 . Drives can be shared, with either two drivers changing over during each 40 minute race, or each entering one full race.

After that there's the 360mrc's 45 minute Olympic Breakfast Sprint at Snetterton -
http://360mrc.com/race-entry/entry-f...ndurance-race/ , and the SotS Oulton races on 19 May.

Those fancying the Spa Ardennes/Crosslé Challenge race at the Summer Classic meeting (£620 for a 90 minute race and 30 min practice, again with sharing an option), can download the entry form from the COG site - http://www.crossleownersgroup.com/ .

Cheers,

Gwyn
Old 17 Apr 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3060725)   #46
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
Is there a noise limit?

Noise limit? just the usual circuit imposed limit, typically 105db, but please check.

The other noise you will hear is the loud cheering in the background from Crosslé owners celebrating the start of the racing season. We are slow starters, a function of age, but by the time we get to Spa in mid June for that 90 mins. race all will be well.

Do come and join us.
Old 8 May 2012, 06:07 (Ref:3070966)   #47
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
360 Motor Racing Club Snetterton - Olympic Breakfast sprint

Last year we took three Crosslé 9S cars to the 360 Sprint race. Gwyn Pollard took the win and ran off with the champagne.

This year we brought six cars along, our first real outing of the 2012 season for the Crosslé 9S Challenge. Some of the boys were hoping to prevent Gwyn from a repeat win and qualifying indicated that this might be the case. John Taylor took pole with a time of 2.09.806, ahead of Pollard on 2.10.274 and Andy Todd with 2.10.848.

Intense discussions in the Pollard corner of the paddock indicated that Gwyn was in no mood to be beaten and so it ran out at the finish. A great race for all contestants and a super result for the Crosslé 9S Challenge boys, Pollard 1st, Taylor 2nd and Andy Todd 3rd. Gwyn has the champagne again!

John Taylor did however have the consolation of a good result in the last race of the day on Saturday. From the green light he was off like a bride's nightie and took the win with ease.

Much credit is due to Claire, John and all their team at 360 Motor Club. They produced a super weekend of motor racing for all contestants with a great variety of classes and very exciting racing. This event is now firmly established and can go on to greater things.

We will be back next year!
Old 8 May 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3071066)   #48
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eamonn, I'm sorry not to have caught up with you. I'm putting a few pics up on the main thread, and I'm sure that will include one or two of the Crossles when I get to that one!
Old 12 Jan 2013, 10:06 (Ref:3188112)   #49
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Did I see a footnote to the Sports 2000 stand at Autosport which said that the Crossles were going to race in some Sports 2000 events in 2013?
Old 12 Jan 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3188295)   #50
matlockscot
Rookie

matlockscot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did I see a footnote to the Sports 2000 stand at Autosport which said that the Crossles were going to race in some Sports 2000 events in 2013?
You did indeed, the Crossles have been invited to run alongside the Sports 2000 championship (both sprint and endurance series)