Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Dec 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3183051)   #1
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
2012 memories

Just over 24 hours to go and I thought we should finnish the year posting our highs and lows of the 2012 racing season.
No rules just must be about motor racing and open too all,spectators,marshalls,mechanics,photographers,drivers ect.
I will kick off with my low! being Monaco at the start of qualifing race and injector pipe splitting,thus out of the race and not getting into the finnal. This was a big dissapointment after a lot and I mean a lot!! of hard work ,time,money ect and after the little French F3 Oliroy was going so well in qualifing.
High's, a couple,Stoke Row Motor Sport Day and our very first classic car tour organised by Craven Motor Club,seeing the first car arriving and interviewing the driver and navigator.Brilliant high that was.
Co driving Colin McKay's E Type at Oulton in Guards race with a class 3rd place,then last but not least a good race in F3 March beating a lot of the British and European heroes just missing 6th place by 1/100th of a sec.
Happy and a safe new year.
Sorry forgot one thing,meeting uncle Eric at Spa.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 21:15 (Ref:3183070)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hmmm, try not to have low points but in 2012 probably lowest when my Delta FF2000 got away from me at Snetterton and I wiped the nose off on a barrier. Schoolboy error.

Highs? Tango at the 360MRC 6hrs was good. With team of Mrs Ryan (catering) Daniel Ryan (crew chief) and Cliff and me doing the fun bit, the 924 was faultless, tactics nearly spot on, and pit stops slick. Brilliant teamwork.

Racing at Croft for first time was great, Although the Delta suffered suspension failure had a fabulous Guards Trophy race in 'Baby Blue', with excellent pics from Grant P to remember it by. Again at Oulton Gold Cup the Morgan was a delight to drive, as the worn out tyres will testify!

'Lairy Canary' ventured out four weekends and finished on the podium with 3rd at HSCC Superprix. Best race though at Portimao- when it was dry!

Looking forward to 2013 and whatever transpires. Happy New year to everyone on 10-Tenths!

Old 30 Dec 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3183085)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Low point loosing the engine big time in my 2nd gen Camaro at Mallory, a good engine it was as well, hi spot the HVRA V8 race at Brands, mega and loads of action.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3183144)   #4
delcomb
Rookie

Canada
Chatham, Ontario
delcomb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddelcomb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Low - finding the rear leaf spring broken when arriving at Mosport (lucky it was still on the trailer at the time). It turned out well in the end as we found a place to make a new spring and didn't miss a session.
High - finishing 3rd FJr at Lime Rock behind a couple of Coopers which made me top drum-brake Jr, won Endeavour Award for Group#2. First time at this track.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 01:34 (Ref:3183160)   #5
Avanti
Rookie

Sweden
Hofterup
Avanti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well hi everyone, first post here even though I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time. Thought that a post like this would be a fine start to my membership and maybe for you to get to know me bit

I'll start with the lows; bad and unusually cold weather at the start of the season made the change of one of my drivers even more difficult with having to throw experimental, but not crazy, setups on the car to try to keep up with the competition. Worked to an extent but with no permission to run a splitter or rear wing, it was hard to keep up to Porsches, Chevrons etc and that left us on the back foot for the first half of the season. Other low being Alx crashing in quali for TTA at Tierp Arena even though he was going to race in our sister car in Swedish GT and not the one I'm responsible of.

How about the highs then?

Well, getting the car hooked up for every race in the second half and Mattias getting a much better feel for the car won us the last three races of the season, meaning we got the championship was the absolute highlight. Catching the leading Porsche and pulling in a time deficit of 34 seconds in the last 25 minutes of the race and taking the lead with two corners left at Karlskoga was a real thriller, especially after not taking a race win since 2011. Oh and watching Daniel in the sister car coming from last on the grid to second within six laps at Tierp was incredible, the car had a few dents afterwards though..

Cheers!
Old 31 Dec 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3183197)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Avanti, welcome to 10-Tenths. I suspect that your motor racing is not historic with references to Swedish GT and TTA , but perhaps you have got a GpA Volvo 240T or 850R Super tourer hidden away....
Old 31 Dec 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3183213)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Lots of Highs . . . . Its been a great year, 100% reliability has helped, thats the real achievement.

Pole, FL and outright win at Snetterton on the 300 circuit, a first for me.
Arthurs splendid first races at Goodwood, on his birthday as well.
Wound the year up with another win at Mallory

The only racing low was the hugely dissapointing turn out at Spa and the rain, both there and at Castle Combe, I didn't mind it at Spa, but Combe has F all creature comforts and not a lot of scenery, whereas Eu Rouge looks good all the time!
Old 31 Dec 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3183228)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
High - rolling the 924 off the trailer at Snetterton and realising I'd actually managed to get to the 360 for £160

Low - rolling the 924 off the trailer at Snetterton and realising I'd actually managed to get a ratchet strap around the brake pipe, and that puddle under the car was brake fluid.......

Didn't do any other car racing, but Alex's TKM season has had its own highs and lows, from a podium in March to one of the worst race weekends ever in October. All part of life's rich tapestry, and such good fun all things considered.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3183254)   #9
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delta's missed out the fabulous weekend we had at Phoenix Park in August - we had a lot of laughs and made several new friends. It's not often historic cars get to race in front of 58,000 spectators.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3183263)   #10
Avanti
Rookie

Sweden
Hofterup
Avanti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Hi Avanti, welcome to 10-Tenths. I suspect that your motor racing is not historic with references to Swedish GT and TTA , but perhaps you have got a GpA Volvo 240T or 850R Super tourer hidden away....
Haha well crap, just saw the thread on the front page so missed the historic part well I'm turning a Porsche 914 into a race car, not for historic racing though!
Old 31 Dec 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3183266)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
Haha well crap, just saw the thread on the front page so missed the historic part well I'm turning a Porsche 914 into a race car, not for historic racing though!
You are with us in spirit then! 'Historic' refers to the age of many of the posters as well as the cars they race.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3183282)   #12
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whole 2012 race season with Bernies HVRA has been a high with mainly very good grids (exceptional for a new 'series' tbh) and great camaraderie both on and off track.

Only low(ish) points was Donington race held in a monsoon. Having lugged a set of wheels with tyres only suitable for serious wet conditions around for 5 years and never using them I replaced them with a set of 'use in dry conditions only' Hoosiers - Cue my first proper wet race since 2007!!
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 31 Dec 2012, 13:00 (Ref:3183287)   #13
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally getting the E out at Gold Cup (took over a year!) was a definite high after eleventh hour withdrawals at Superprix & 3 hour - and by the end of the weekend it was going very nicely too.

A sort of dual purpose low/high was the disappointment when the diff munched after 1 lap testing for the Superprix, but it probably explained why the pit wall jumped out to meet me in the first place, so some consolation as I'd run out of other excuses and thought it was just me.

Spa is always a high, just no comparison.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3183323)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highs,selling the B,getting a phone call from Germany,Julie getting her "forgotten" about operation done after waiting for two and a half years!!
Not getting bored in a Safety Car somewhere.

Low's? err,none really.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3183326)   #15
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being involved in historic motor racing is a high in itself and even the lows aren't that low.
Best bits were going to Spa in September and really enjoyed the Croft nostalgia weekend - thy're really trying to make it a great weekend. A bit odd though that racing couldn't start until midday for noise reasons but they kept firing a cannon every half hour throughout the morning which shook the ground!! Relative lows were, funnily enough, at Spa where I decided to have a go in the second HSCC race, locked up in to La Source on the first lap and found poor Michael Steele (in the only other Lotus Cortina in the race) totally on the right line for the corner but coming across my bows and I couldn't avoid a collision. I was out immediately with wing pressed on to wheel but he at least could continue. The other relative low was at Oulton Park Gold Cup where both cars were reserves but allowed to go out at the back of the grid. Both allowed to start in atrocious conditions but after 2 laps one was black flagged as there were too many cars on track. However, he couldn't see the flag/number on the pit straight and completed the race only to be hauled before the CotC for ignoring the flag and was not included in the results. The other car should have been the one to be black flagged as he was 3rd reserve (against 2nd reserve) but he retired after 3 laps or so due to 'evil handling'.

Roll on 2013.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3183330)   #16
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highs - getting 2nd in GT class in the Autosport 3 Hours in the B series engined bath tub against much faster cars. Croft weekend was a great meeting, as was the Gold Cup and Spa 6 Hours.

Lows - getting 2nd in GT class in the Autosport 3 hours when we were running 1st until the last lap! The car bursting into flames at the first 3 races of the season!!
Old 31 Dec 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3183357)   #17
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Left out Pheonix Park Alan as I am sure it was all a dream.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 18:52 (Ref:3183366)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Left out Pheonix Park Alan as I am sure it was all a dream.
Guinness induced by any chance?
Old 31 Dec 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3183397)   #19
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Highlights were taking a podium at the 360 with Mike in Tango 924 with my family as crew, participating in the Shelby American Club's race at Watkins Glen celebrating 50 years of Shelby cars and racing two cars in Barry's race at the Spa six hour weekend!

Low was putting Mustang into barriers at the first race meeting at Monticello after gearbox failure.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 19:06 (Ref:3183598)   #20
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lows - being stupid enough to be outside whenever the heavens decided it was time to give us another deluge e.g. Thruxton (bang, crash wallop merchants, never again!!!); Stoke Row but that was worth it and good fun.

Highs - Every day in the SC for HSCC meetings and the Classic, seeing and hearing all those fantastic cars in the rear view mirror. Plus of course nearly being wiped out by a certain Lola T70.

Old 2 Jan 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3183785)   #21
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Highs - the 2-hour endurance on Brands GP, coming from the bottom half of the grid to finish 8th and a class win; doing the Birkett for the first time, great fun.
Low - only racing abroad once.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3183791)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhhhhh.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3183875)   #23
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not getting bored in a Safety Car somewhere.

Low's? err,none really.[/QUOTE]

You were lucky Terry. Didn't get a chance this year.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3183908)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Worry not Chris,your not alone.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 18:50 (Ref:3183924)   #25
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The highs are easy........

My first podium in the March 721 at the Masters event at Brands Hatch in May.

Finally getting to grips with the Monaco circuit and going a massive 12 secs quicker than 2 years before

the lows.....
urm..
building that a car over two years for Classic Le Mans only to find out 1 lap into the first practice session that it boiled like a tea kettle

struggling in the Ralt at Snetterton, never really warmed to with the stiff setup which was a step in the wrong direction, and perhaps Snett 300 is now offcially not my favorite circuit.

Rudolf