Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jan 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3190071)   #51
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It becomes boring when you find yourself in that no mans land of not being able to catch the car in front and the car behind you not being able to catch you with maybe a few hundred yards between you all, thats boring and starts to make you wonder is this really worth it. I would rather be lapped at least its not so lonely and spices things up a bit.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3190073)   #52
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
It becomes boring when you find yourself in that no mans land of not being able to catch the car in front and the car behind you not being able to catch you with maybe a few hundred yards between you all, thats boring and starts to make you wonder is this really worth it. I would rather be lapped at least its not so lonely and spices things up a bit.
Did they write "Always look on the bright side of life" in your honour Mr W xxxxx
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3190092)   #53
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Al. Don't you enjoy the feel of just driving a nice powerful car in safe conditions and just trying to improve your times/lines etc. If you're in the middle of the field, just find somebody to race with.
If you don't enjoy the whole package of racing it makes me wonder why you do it at all?
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3190096)   #54
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Al. Don't you enjoy the feel of just driving a nice powerful car in safe conditions and just trying to improve your times/lines etc. If you're in the middle of the field, just find somebody to race with.
If you don't enjoy the whole package of racing it makes me wonder why you do it at all?
Because he LOVES the Clerks of the course!!!!! ha ha....
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3190102)   #55
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Being serious (for a moment) I used to race (when Claire was stil at school!). I wasn't any good but I loved racing so much that I did what I did to stay involved ....hence becoming a clerk.
I just don't understand being involved unless you love it. I always said that if I didn't drive into a paddock and get the 'buzz', then I'd quit.

Al I don't think you love it enough
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3190113)   #56
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Being serious (for a moment) I used to race (when Claire was stil at school!). I wasn't any good but I loved racing so much that I did what I did to stay involved ....hence becoming a clerk.
I just don't understand being involved unless you love it. I always said that if I didn't drive into a paddock and get the 'buzz', then I'd quit.

I gotta be honest (and not turning this into a John and Claire show) , but I drove into a paddock a long time ago and got a buzz, I was 16 then, I returned to the same paddock many years later....got a buzz that day for all sorts of reasons....(thank you 750) and this year I have been tested with regard to my resolve...but I can honestly say, there is NOTHING like the buzz of walking round the paddock at the start of a meeting....nothing like the buzz in race control....and nothing (though it was my first one) like the buzz of sitting in a car waiting to go race.......

I never overtook anyone at Brands, I just enjoyed myself...like a certain driver I know who goes out and just "enjoys themselves" sometimes driving so slow that others are narked!!! so hopefully not that bad....but I did...and i loved every minute of it (well almost...it was so hot I nearly passed out) but if you ask me am I doing it again, then YES, hopefully in my Rover and yes Im also organising again as well...I love Motorsport...so sue me xx

PS Al...you KNOW you love Motorsport an all ...your sooo money supermotorsport...you dont even know it!
Old 16 Jan 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3190176)   #57
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think you are grasping what I am saying, I have had some good races and nowhere near winning or even at the front end, last season some good races in Bernies V8s and a cracking race with Pre 93s with three BMW's at Thruxton but the races I was writing about that if you are genuinely a racer and want to race other cars can become boring to the degree that you can actually start to loose concerntration and thats when you are in the no mans senario I described earlier and are simply willing the chequered flag to fall when its like that you may as well do a trackday. It all boils down to I guess a lack of cars on the grid and thats where the problem is.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3190180)   #58
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found myself in that position a couple of years ago at the Spa 6 hours meeting. Only 30 cars round Spa (Pre63GT race), and after the start, in 40 mins. the only time I saw another car was when I got lapped by a Ferrari 330 GTO.

I tried to cheer myself up by telling myself that I was driving one of the great circuits of the world, the conditions were perfect (bright sunshine, but cold), I had the whole track to myself, and I'd just had a 'chase cam' view of a £20m car being driven on the edge.

The 'glass half empty' side of my personality, sitting on my other shoulder, reminded myself that I'd hoped for a race, but was probably experiencing a 'Worlds most expensive test day'.

Oh, and a belated Happy 2013, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Old 17 Jan 2013, 06:27 (Ref:3190330)   #59
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
being a 'stick in the mud'.
That would be Cadwell then!
Old 17 Jan 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3190359)   #60
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That would be Cadwell then!
Croft in the 90s
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Jan 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3190429)   #61
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Or Pembrey, and Combe at busy meetings.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 11:34 (Ref:3190471)   #62
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great Conversation

Just sitting here listening ( reading) your conversation. very interesting. I think what comes out of it, is that you all love the game, and that is the bottom line. As someone once said, "You'll know when your ready to pack it all in". You guys are nowhere near that yet. Have a great season.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 12:57 (Ref:3190505)   #63
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Don't you remember the old Stella Artois advert: "Reassuringly expensive"?
I do, walked into a pub in Henley with friends I was visiting and was asked what I wanted to drink, was told they had Stella, when I said that it was the worst beer in Belgium and that everyone avoided it where possible (which can be difficult since it is the local brewery) I was surprised when the pub went quiet.

It was then explained to me that it was the most expensive beer they had and therefore it was good, even the pump was pound symbol shaped to reflect its "value".

I still pity people who can only judge quality on the basis of price labels..
Old 17 Jan 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3190506)   #64
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
was told they had Stella, when I said that it was the worst beer in Belgium and that everyone avoided it where possible (which can be difficult since it is the local brewery) I was surprised when the pub went quiet.
Belgian Stella is a lot different to our Stella. In the seventies we used to bring lorry loads of Stella from Belgium (some of it would get liberated) and it was pretty good when compared to the nearest thing we could buy here, sadly it seems to be **** water wherever you buy it now.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3190512)   #65
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
I do, walked into a pub in Henley with friends I was visiting and was asked what I wanted to drink, was told they had Stella, when I said that it was the worst beer in Belgium and that everyone avoided it where possible (which can be difficult since it is the local brewery) I was surprised when the pub went quiet.

It was then explained to me that it was the most expensive beer they had and therefore it was good, even the pump was pound symbol shaped to reflect its "value".

I still pity people who can only judge quality on the basis of price labels..
Next time give me a call.Peter. We have proper pubs just up the road from henley.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3190514)   #66
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I take it you don't want anymore Larkins then Tim ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Jan 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3190562)   #67
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I take it you don't want anymore Larkins then Tim ?
Why, do they relabel it as Stella?
Old 17 Jan 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3190566)   #68
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Britain doesn't have decent beer,Belgium and German stuff is far superior,in all respects. You can get p*****d for a lot lesh munee.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3190644)   #69
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Britain doesn't have decent beer,Belgium and German stuff is far superior,in all respects. You can get p*****d for a lot lesh munee.
You've been imbibing too much of it Terence.....there's no BEER in Germany, only dreadful LAGER
Old 17 Jan 2013, 18:03 (Ref:3190646)   #70
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Britain doesn't have decent beer,Belgium and German stuff is far superior,in all respects. .
Bob at the brewery doesn't agree, just pop over and tell him Terry he's built like the proverbial brick s**t house !
Old 17 Jan 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3190647)   #71
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Anyway all this foreign stuff isn't beer but boys water !
Old 17 Jan 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3190663)   #72
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You really haven't lived .
Old 17 Jan 2013, 19:11 (Ref:3190673)   #73
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
With respect what does beer have to do historic racing.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3190681)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely it's the only criteria for deciding where to race? Spa for the Juliper, Trappiste, Heogarten, Brands for the Spitfire, Oulton for the Robinsons or Greenhall Witley, Pembrey for the Brains etc.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3190685)   #75
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Surely it's the only criteria for deciding where to race? Spa for the Juliper, Trappiste, Heogarten, Brands for the Spitfire, Oulton for the Robinsons or Greenhall Witley, Pembrey for the Brains etc.

You make a persuasive argument Sir, although Greenalls may be a touch elusive these days! Black Sheep is a good choice at Croft.....