Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Feb 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3711026)   #26
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Woah . . . just seen this, I took all the gunge, glue and crap off the sump and welded it up!!! I'll double skin the sump for the new engine

Glad that part of its going ok Colin, sounds like an eventful trip so far!
A bit of explanation required... Zef was going to build me a proper engine using some of the bits from the original US (as in "of America" but could be taken either way) spec one, but the Hanjing collapse overtook us and they brought the loading date for the container forward so he had to put it back together with what was available. Not much power and I'm not revving it past 6500 just to be safe hence unremarkable results, but at least we're here and still going!
Old 9 Feb 2017, 07:36 (Ref:3711144)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It's working Colin, hopefully better than before. It's a bog standard Anglia bottom end!

New engine is well under way.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3711158)   #28
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe 6500 is over stretching it then!
Old 9 Feb 2017, 09:23 (Ref:3711164)   #29
I16
Racer

I16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
few photos on page 38 - post 755 http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...tts-Collection
Old 9 Feb 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3711187)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
6500 is fine, 7000 should be if you're brave it does at least had HD rod bolts and half decent pistons in it. the crank stroke is so short it looks more like a cam
Old 12 Feb 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3711651)   #31
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Penultimate round completed at Timaru, just Teretonga left next weekend. Timaru feels a bit like castle combe, limited facilities and grass paddocks but the track is very different, only grass run offs and a fairly narrow windy circuit. A bit frustrating at times with few good overtaking opportunities so you do have to bully your way round a bit. Car still going ok despite my best efforts at spannering, in fact I'm allowing myself a few more revs as we're getting near the end and it makes a big difference. I now have Zef's word that this will do no harm Starter still being unpredictable and the clutch lost a pot full of fluid again, but only once and seems to have cured itself. Happy to live with these niggles if that's the worst we have.
When you're filling out your UK race entries this season try comparing prices with this...£210 bought a practice session, qually, 5 races, 2 buffet lunches, 1 ticket for a sit down evening meal, dancing and free bar and afternoon tea & cakes both days. Not bad eh?
Old 12 Feb 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3711684)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
When you're filling out your UK race entries this season try comparing prices with this...£210 bought a practice session, qually, 5 races, 2 buffet lunches, 1 ticket for a sit down evening meal, dancing and free bar and afternoon tea & cakes both days. Not bad eh?
Yes. Not a day trip from here though, Colin!

Hope you're having a fantastic trip despite the car niggles, and Mrs McKay is actually getting a holiday as well.....
Old 12 Feb 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3711706)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Sounds great Colin!
Old 13 Feb 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3711893)   #34
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a fantastic experience Colin, enjoy!
Old 15 Feb 2017, 05:08 (Ref:3712281)   #35
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds like so much fun! Please say hi to my brother Doug from Canada, in the little #943 Canada Class. The guys from Delta will remember him when he came over to England for Brands Hatch, Goodwood Revival and then Spa in -- gosh, was it 2011? Now that he's retired, he has time to do all the fun races he's always wanted to do.
Old 15 Feb 2017, 05:18 (Ref:3712284)   #36
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'll seek him out! I'm also recently retired and now have the time to do this sort of thing, but probably not the wherewithal...... dreading the bank statement waiting for me on my return
Old 15 Feb 2017, 07:03 (Ref:3712304)   #37
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'll seek him out! I'm also recently retired and now have the time to do this sort of thing, but probably not the wherewithal...... dreading the bank statement waiting for me on my return
Keep repeating to yourself- 'You can't take it with you', or 'You're only young once'......
Old 15 Feb 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3712326)   #38
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Keep repeating to yourself- 'You can't take it with you', or 'You're only young once'......
Mike I dont know Colin and have very few chances to meet him unfortunately.
He just looks fantastic to my eyes, a modern hero racing a classic car. Sitting right in the middle of "If youth new, if old age could"!

Quelle aventure fantastique, Monsieur Mc Kay!
Old 15 Feb 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3712350)   #39
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Sounds like so much fun! Please say hi to my brother Doug from Canada, in the little #943 Canada Class. The guys from Delta will remember him when he came over to England for Brands Hatch, Goodwood Revival and then Spa in -- gosh, was it 2011? Now that he's retired, he has time to do all the fun races he's always wanted to do.
We had a great time with Doug and Scooter was it that long ago.. Just wish I had gone now to NZ. Getting fed up hearing about the good time they are all having. I mean really fed up.!!!
Old 15 Feb 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3712456)   #40
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Gerard, I've been called many things but never a hero! That accolade should go to Mrs M who volunteered to live in a small tin box on wheels for 6 weeks, and put up with my race day tantrums!
Iain, you would have both loved and hated it... loved it because the place is full of petrolheads and hated it because there's been nothing much to do, no point getting up before 9 even on some racedays!!!
Old 15 Feb 2017, 21:50 (Ref:3712461)   #41
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Gerard, I've been called many things but never a hero! That accolade should go to Mrs M who volunteered to live in a small tin box on wheels for 6 weeks, and put up with my race day tantrums!
Iain, you would have both loved and hated it... loved it because the place is full of petrolheads and hated it because there's been nothing much to do, no point getting up before 9 even on some racedays!!!
Colin, you're meant to stay up and enjoy the star filled skies at night.

https://www.facebook.com/RobDickinsonPhotography

Then sleep during the day - because there is nothing to do.

Old 17 Feb 2017, 08:20 (Ref:3712774)   #42
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
There is, of course, plenty to do. Just no pressing urgency to do it!
Currently at Teretonga circuit near Invercargill, allegedly the southernmost race track in the world. Having been told it's always cold and wet (which I was hoping for so I might stand half a chance) we have had clear skies and 30 degrees today, the locals think it's great but I've been plunged into despondency! Another weekend trailing round at the back I expect

Yours sincerely

Eeyore
Old 18 Feb 2017, 09:42 (Ref:3712992)   #43
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Job done! It was 2010 by the way.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3713002)   #44
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thank goodness for that.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 23:07 (Ref:3713230)   #45
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well, all over and all in one piece albeit with a slightly modified nose from lap 1, race 1, 20 races, 7 practice sessions and 5 quallys ago.
Zef's engine never missed a beat although it wasn't particularly happy running on avgas which I had to resort to for the last couple of races as no 98 available south of Dunedin. Apart from the mishaps on day 1 (split sump & oil cooler) it consumed a grand total of just 250ml oil.
Iain's brilliant prep meant the only issues I had to deal with were a dodgy starter and clutch hydraulics, both of which were intermittent and was able to live with. When you consider that the car was an unknown quantity before the rebuild and we only managed 2.5 races with it last year, I reckon that's a pretty amazing result!
It wasn't all plain sailing, the first weekend was a trial of perseverance...but the biggest adrenalin rush came at Teretonga last Thursday when I was sitting in the car as we backed it off the top deck of the container and one of the ramps fell off - I can confirm the weight is a perfect 50/50 balance between front right and left rear. Only a small scuff on the bodywork and change of underwear for the guy watching me back who could have easily ended up underneath. Motorsport is dangerous they say.....
As for the driver, well I've had enormous fun, been bowled over by the generosity of other FJ folk and Kiwis in particular and learnt a helluva lot about the car which will be put to very good use when the proper engine goes in......then we can start breaking half shafts like everyone else!
I'll post some pics when I get home in a week or so.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 23:31 (Ref:3713233)   #46
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Well, all over and all in one piece ...

As for the driver, well I've had enormous fun, been bowled over by the generosity of other FJ folk and Kiwis in particular and learnt a helluva lot about the car which will be put to very good use when the proper engine goes in......then we can start breaking half shafts like everyone else!
I'll post some pics when I get home in a week or so.
Brilliant Colin.

International racing driver of renown now.

That said, no point in breaking half a shaft Colin, might as well go the whole hog and break a complete one.

Old 20 Feb 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3713269)   #47
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
That's great new Colin, what a holiday!
Old 20 Feb 2017, 08:20 (Ref:3713275)   #48
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Only a small scuff on the bodywork and change of underwear for the guy watching me back who could have easily ended up underneath. Motorsport is dangerous they say.....
Colin, this guy knows what "Semper ubi sub ubi" really means by now!
Fantastic adventure you had. Waiting for the pics.
Old 4 Mar 2017, 21:41 (Ref:3716504)   #49
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
A lot of the race pics are on an SD card which now refuses to co-operate so until I can find a work around all I've got are the ones we took on phones. Here are a few from Hampton Downs, the first meeting.
1. Welding the sump - the 2 Andys. Jim Blockley's ex-pat brother Andrew (on the left) and his wife Jeanette drove me all over Pukekeho in search of remedies for my numerous problems this weekend. The other guy runs a prep shop at the circuit and generously stopped what he was doing on 2 occasions to come back to the workshop and sort me out.
2. Camp Junior - the guys who planned ahead were all tucked up in nice warm garages, the rest of us cheapskates were supremely grateful for the loan of this marquee, however rudimentary, when the monsoons arrived,
3. Some of the neighbours.
4. A Marina coupe, but not as we know it!
5 & 6. Front engined juniors in Sunday's wet race.
Attached Thumbnails
20170120_105726.jpg   20170121_082027.jpg   20170121_081453.jpg  

20170122_122551.jpg   20170122_132931 (2).jpg   20170122_132937 (2).jpg  

Old 5 Mar 2017, 06:25 (Ref:3716583)   #50
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
As you might have guessed- love the Marina Coupe!

Any idea on engine? (Seems to be missing from the front end!) I'm thinking Mazda rotary.......