Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Mar 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2650650)   #101
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting first day. The HRT's are so far off the pace it's unreal. I hope for their sake they were carrying the heaviest fuel load of anybody! :P

Seriously though, they are a hazard. Even if Bruno thinks they can knock 5 seconds off, what about Chandhok? With no disrespect to him as a driver, with 1 hour maximum before quali, it can't be good.

Everything else is okay, Lotus and Virgin don't look as far off the pace as originally thought at testing, but I fear HRT is a bit of an embarrasment to F1 currently. By all means, new teams should be allowed into the sport, encourage even, but not when they are that slow.

Looking forward to quali though! Oh, and I approve of the new graphics, they look very nice, a fresh look.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2650663)   #102
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe View Post
Funny that all the focus is on the new teams when there's a pretty good storyline going on at one of the Big4. Red Bull's going through some pretty major difficulties with the RB6 at Bahrain. Listening to Vettel talk about the car's handling sounded like it was an absolute nightmare.

I would've thought that RBR was the last of the Big4 to suffer from major handling issues due to the amount of carryover from the RB5. Lack of testing mileage showing? Surely Valencia's layout lends itself to the first 2/3 of the lap at Bahrain...
From what I've seen of testing, I believe the RBR isn't as good as they thought it should be and they clearly have lost the advantage they had over the rest of the top teams over the winter
Old 12 Mar 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2650675)   #103
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Seriously though, they are a hazard. Even if Bruno thinks they can knock 5 seconds off, what about Chandhok? With no disrespect to him as a driver, with 1 hour maximum before quali, it can't be good.
Why such a hazard, are you a Massa and Webber fan? HRT have done remarkably well even to get there considering the lateness of everything so they had to start somewhere, even if only one car was ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I fear HRT is a bit of an embarrasment to F1 currently. By all means, new teams should be allowed into the sport, encourage even, but not when they are that slow.
Embarrassment to whom though? the 'know it alls' at the front of the grid?

I certainly don't feel embarrassed for them and neither should the team itself. There simply isn't much chance for new teams with the ridiculously expensive and snobbish nature of F1 at present so they should be applauded for even turning up.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2650694)   #104
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with you chunterer.
If you want bigger grids, you will surely expect to get more also-rans than front-runners, particularly at the first GP of the year.
There is nothing to be ashamed of in getting out there and having a go, USF1 have set the new benchmark for how bad you have to be to be considered a failure.
If they fail so be it, but no need to cull them prematurely.
On a lap time per dollar spent ratio the new teams would all be at the top surely ?
Old 12 Mar 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2650696)   #105
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quote...I certainly don't feel embarrassed for them and neither should the team itself. There simply isn't much chance for new teams with the ridiculously expensive and snobbish nature of F1 at present so they should be applauded for even turning up.

here here well said that man .
Old 13 Mar 2010, 00:08 (Ref:2650733)   #106
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
I'm with you chunterer.
If you want bigger grids, you will surely expect to get more also-rans than front-runners, particularly at the first GP of the year.
There is nothing to be ashamed of in getting out there and having a go, USF1 have set the new benchmark for how bad you have to be to be considered a failure.
If they fail so be it, but no need to cull them prematurely.
On a lap time per dollar spent ratio the new teams would all be at the top surely ?
I agree as well. For a very first day, it was a good effort.

I do worry for Karun, though. He has been set an impossible task.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2650735)   #107
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love that there's small independent teams again. Just watching them finally firing up the car, followed by Bruno's cautious first few laps made me very happy, knowing the struggles they went through to get here. They've got a massive mountain to climb, but it will be good to see them slowly chipping away at it. Bruno did 17 laps in the second practice session, which is remarkably good for what really was the car's shakedown run.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 00:30 (Ref:2650740)   #108
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I like the new section of track. While it may be slow, it has some great scenery.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 03:11 (Ref:2650776)   #109
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Also, whats that little bit on the Lotus rear wing?
Old 13 Mar 2010, 04:45 (Ref:2650793)   #110
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A hope and prayer of getting faster?

Couple other sites have it as an attempt to possibly clean the airflow across the middle of the wing and gain some downforce. The center 15 cm are a multiple wing free zone so worth a try for some of the newer teams.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 05:50 (Ref:2650798)   #111
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never thought RBR would be in trouble but yesterday was a real concern. I hope today proves better.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 08:21 (Ref:2650852)   #112
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Got to feel for Karun. ANOTHER hydraulics issue, looks like he probably won't do the 3 laps he needs to participate in quali

Bruno leaving the pits now
Old 13 Mar 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2650861)   #113
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Have those palm trees sprung up since last year? Don't remember them being there before.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2650862)   #114
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Got to feel for Karun. ANOTHER hydraulics issue, looks like he probably won't do the 3 laps he needs to participate in quali
Yeah it's a shame, I hope they at least manage to give him an installation lap.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 08:47 (Ref:2650863)   #115
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karuns car still in bits. If he makes it out, its not going to be for more than 3 slow laps just to get him in the show. Willing him and the team on, but not looking good
Old 13 Mar 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2650870)   #116
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a positive note, Glock laps under 2mins and Senna gets within 10s of the pace.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2650871)   #117
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now due to this 3 lap rule can someone tell me the qualfying routine as we have loss one due to no fault of the driver!
Old 13 Mar 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2650873)   #118
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wow McLaren was almost 1s slower than Ferrari..... what a disappointment that dumb f-vent is. Looks like the car has awful mechanical grip
Old 13 Mar 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2650874)   #119
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Senna within 10 seconds of Alonso, now the equivalent of 7.377 seconds off pole in Australia (108.68%)

Glock also got to just over 5 seconds off despite only having 3 wheels, the equivalent of 3.78 seconds off in Oz (104.45%)
Old 13 Mar 2010, 09:15 (Ref:2650876)   #120
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might as well prioritize Senna's car for now and get Chandhok's car properly ready for Australia. Senna sliced 2.967 seconds off his P2 time, so progress is being made.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 09:16 (Ref:2650877)   #121
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Well they have to. Chandhok won't be allowed to take part. Every driver has to do at least 3 practice laps before quali
Old 13 Mar 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2650889)   #122
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
now due to this 3 lap rule can someone tell me the qualfying routine as we have loss one due to no fault of the driver!
I think it means that they'll be six drivers getting an early bath after Q1 (plus Karun Chandhok, who effectively will be considered as "no time"), and seven after Q2, but please don't quote me on that.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 09:57 (Ref:2650892)   #123
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Well they have to. Chandhok won't be allowed to take part. Every driver has to do at least 3 practice laps before quali
no thats wrong, he can still participate if he does the laps during qualifying
Old 13 Mar 2010, 10:33 (Ref:2650905)   #124
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
please read Autosport as the answer is there on this issue (the web site)
Old 13 Mar 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2650906)   #125
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read the rule book that should be enough