Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Oct 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2774817)   #1
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Japanese GP penalties

Hello everybody i am new here and i have a problem and i hope someone can help me out. I have been a part time watcher of F1 since the early 90 s but in the last 3 years i have really been gripped by the sport i love and never miss a second of any coverage . My mates do not understand why i enjoy the sport so much and i constantly find myself defending F1 . So here ladies and gents lies my problem , there seems to be no consistency with penalties given out by stewards (does anybody else think this ? ) How can Petrov recieve a five place grid penalty for causing an avoidable accident and Massa gets away with wiping out Liuzzi . The Force India was on the outside of turn one giving everybody space trying to get on with his own race when the prancing horse comes across the track and takes him off . I just think that if Petrov got a penalty then surely Felipe should have aswell . PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN WHY ?
Old 14 Oct 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2774820)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to 10 Tenths, Andy. You'll probably find that inconsistency of stewards' decisions is one of the biggest bugbears around this place!

I can only assume that the stewards felt that Petrov's accident was more easily avoidable and therefore deserving of a penalty. Massa reached a point where he was essentially a passenger and couldn't do anything about running into Liuzzi. However - and I say this without an absolutely clear recollection of the accident - he could probably have avoided getting into that situation in the first place, so I think a penalty would have been fair.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 14 Oct 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2774840)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Summed up pretty perfectly there, Ralf's Girl.

Selby
Old 14 Oct 2010, 12:54 (Ref:2774850)   #4
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just watched the start again....

Rosberg was slow away and Massa went up the inside (right hand side) of him - there was plenty of room. As they approcahed turn 1, Rosberg moved right to avoid one of the Force India's - Sutil I think - cutting across his nose and Massa had no choice but to take to the grass to avoid a collision with Rosberg. I guess it was an instinctive reaction by Massa. From then on he was a passenger, unable to slow the car on the grass.

I guess the view of the stewards would be that it was simply a racing accident.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2774853)   #5
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many thanks

Having just watched the start again 8 times in slow mo and normal speed , yes i do see what you mean and i think you are right its just a racing incident, thankyou for your replies . I am not a big Ferrari fan ( Mclaren and JB for me ) but i do feel sorry for Massa i dont think he has been the same man since his accident last year and i think he has been put in the shadows a bit since the arrival of Alonso .
Old 14 Oct 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2774900)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome to Ten Tenths, Andy.

One thing we ought to take into account with the stewards' inconsistency is a comparison with football. During the World Cup, people were given cards when nothing wrong had been done and not given them when something quite blatantly had. So at least F1 is not alone on that score.

My take on Massa's incident was that he seemed to over-react to the Mercedes (although it did look like it might eventually hit him). By moving to the grass the way he did, maybe he guaranteed an accident, which might not have been the case had he stayed on track.

I can understand penalising Petrov more because he just moved left and made quite an error of misjudgement by moving the way he did so soon when it turned out there was a car within range behind him. I don't buy his account about having to move left because of a car doing likewise to his right. I watched replays and can't see anything. On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of penalising drivers for errors. It's an odd precedent and quite new within F1. It goes under the "causing an avoidable incident" rule I think, but what incident isn't avoidable if we're going to be pedantic? We want drivers to go for moves.

This sort of penalty was at its worst in 2008 in Fuji when Hamilton got one for out-braking himself and going off WITHOUT even having hit anyone, and Bourdais got a ridiculous one for colliding with Massa when Massa turned in on him. Anyway, there were a lot of judgements not going McLaren's way that year (Belgium for instance). So maybe I shouldn't compare it to the nadir of stewarding that was 2008.

Petrov went too early with that move as drastic as he made it, but again, it's an error and they all lose out due to unfortunate circumstances at times. It's not a reason to penalise someone.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2774935)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think alot of the inconsistency lies with the FIA/Stewards being seen to do 'something', amidst the crticism it has received for doing nothing. So now you are seeing a knee-jerk reaction rather than a proper analysis of what actually happens.

Massa was a passenger but to penalise Petrov was somewhat unfair; racing accidents do occur at the start of a race and it seems the stewards have ignored that.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2775141)   #8
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be helpful if there were some clear rules on what a driver can and can't do on the track. Then there would be some proper criterion for the stewards to judge an incident against. In the meantime, I think any penalties for incidents at the start or in the first couple of corners are pretty harsh: there is so much going on so quickly that accidents are bound to happen.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2775147)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
It would be helpful if there were some clear rules on what a driver can and can't do on the track.
i'm interested to know how you'd define that exactly though. every single situation is different - we saw that with the epic drama over the webber/hamilton incident...
Old 14 Oct 2010, 22:58 (Ref:2775156)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i'm interested to know how you'd define that exactly though. every single situation is different - we saw that with the epic drama over the webber/hamilton incident...
The stewards should be required to release a summary of what they saw and the reasons for the penalty and how they arrived at the penalty.
This way there would be clear precedents and the decisions would hopefully become clearer and less subject to accusations of bias and prejudice or race and championship fixing!

This is a billion dollar sport and the stewarding should be able to stand up to scrutiny.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2775306)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I definitely agree there. I assume those who transgress get the full reasoning, but in the interest of openness and clarity, the full explanations should be freely available.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2775370)   #12
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
...and that was something M. Todt announced would be the case this year, with decisions released via the FIA website. I haven't looked, but I don't think they have been, have they?
Old 15 Oct 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2775393)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre.../on_event.aspx - not much explanation to go with the decisions though...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Oct 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2775502)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, pretty brief - no explanations whatsoever to justify the findings, nor the penalty imposed.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2775526)   #15
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No, pretty brief - no explanations whatsoever to justify the findings, nor the penalty imposed.
That's not good enough for the governing body of a sport, there needs to some accountability, or we have the current situation where penalties seem arbitrary.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2775555)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well F1 has been more 'transparent' that pretty much any other area of motorsport for years. Still not satisfactory. Oh well.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2775556)   #17
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
My fundamental rule would be that if there is an overlap of two cars, each driver must give the other driver room. So Hamilton didn't give Webber enough room in Singapore. Kobayashi did give Algersuari enough room in Suzuka. At the moment most drivers who get the inside line just run out to the outside kerb and either barge the other driver off the road or force him to drop back. They would have to change their attitude.

Of course at the moment it is difficult to define where the edge of the track is, given that most kerbs are so flat that they are habitually driven over. In my Brave New F1 World, kerbs would be a proper obstacle that keeps drivers within the bounds of the track.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2775559)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Well F1 has been more 'transparent' that pretty much any other area of motorsport for years. Still not satisfactory. Oh well.
I don't think transparency is the issue, it's the lack of consistency and the arbitrary nature of the penalties.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2775607)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't think transparency is the issue, it's the lack of consistency and the arbitrary nature of the penalties.
If the reasoning was transparent then the penalties could no longer be arbitrary or inconsistent - without making the decision maker look bad anyway - perhaps this just does not suit the FIA?
Old 16 Oct 2010, 00:27 (Ref:2775610)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If the reasoning was transparent then the penalties could no longer be arbitrary or inconsistent - without making the decision maker look bad anyway - perhaps this just does not suit the FIA?
If the reasoning were consistent, then the penalties would no longer be seen to be arbitrary. I don't think it's anything to do with tranparency, F1 isn't deliberately trying to confuse the situation, ex-drivers have been brought in this season to help with decision making process, when it comes to penalties. The problem is there is no consistency when penalties are meeted out and that's what needs to be addressed.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 01:02 (Ref:2775621)   #21
wnut
Veteran

Sorry BJ, I am being a bit slow here. How can there be any tranparency when nobody knows the reasoning behind decisions? If the FIA released the full transcript as they have on occcasion then its transparent.

We don't know why they reach the decisions they do, or where they get the penalties from, how is that transparent?
Old 16 Oct 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2775829)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Sorry BJ, I am being a bit slow here. How can there be any tranparency when nobody knows the reasoning behind decisions? If the FIA released the full transcript as they have on occcasion then its transparent.

We don't know why they reach the decisions they do, or where they get the penalties from, how is that transparent?
You're not being slow at all. What I'm calling consistency you are calling transparency; i.e we are arguing the same thing.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 18:53 (Ref:2775849)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Maybe it would help if all the incidents were consistent?

As time goes on I have less and less of a problem with all this. I watch rugby and these kind of decisions are made every minute of the game. I suppose it helps because the frequency averages them out.

One thing that is way more inconsistent than the decisions are fans views of them.
Consistency ranking:
1. Race stewards.
2. FIA.
3. Fans.
4. Webber fans.

(ACO and many other series not even in the top five)
Old 16 Oct 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2775850)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Oh, in case you were wondering:

5. Biased British Hamilton fans.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2775869)   #25
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire

I am so glad i posted this question , seems to have provoked an interesting discussion . Thankyou for all your thoughts and i hope to be reading some more. I agree that the stewards should release some kind of reasoning behind any penalties, just a few lines just so the fans could understand why . Perhaps this would help in stopping all this rumour about favouritism towards certain teams and orchestration of the championship ?