Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Oct 2004, 06:09 (Ref:1111938)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An Opportunity?

Okay, pie in the sky maybe but the BRDC has lost the GP at Silverstone. Surely then a revised/reformatted Historic Festival with (say) an FIA round of the HTC presented as the TT. Thus reviving an historic race name for real cars.

There could also be a six hours event, and support races. A bit like the spa six hours.

Could it work? Would anybody be interested?

Face it though it can't be held anywhere other than Silverstone because of facilities, organisation and FIA registration.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 06:56 (Ref:1111957)   #2
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go for it. What races do you want as support acts.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 07:12 (Ref:1111966)   #3
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In order for me to persuade the rest of the famýly to come ýt would have to feature TGP or some sort of old F1 cars.
Personally I thýnk 6 hour races have very lýmýted spectator appeal - the Goodwood format works for me.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 07:26 (Ref:1111970)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
TGP would also be included of course.

And a six hours needn't be on the bill. Having the TT would cover the "endurance" aspect.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 07:36 (Ref:1111981)   #5
ianselva
Rookie

ianselva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much as I would love to see a big Historic weekend at Silverstone instead of the boring GP, I can't see the public attending in big enough numbers . The Coys meetings started of well but the attendances dropped after a few years. I'm not sure what makes the diffeence between that and Goodwood - perhaps it is the whole atmosphere including the costumes.
Silverstone circuit is sadly lacking in atmosphere and has fairly poor viewing areas ,thanks partly to F1, huge runoff areas, catch fencing everywhere etc.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 07:39 (Ref:1111985)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
There is due to be a Festival at end of July at Silverstone.Problem is that date is to close to'Ring so 2/3 weeks earlier would be so much better.Races will be usual BRDC stuff plus HGPCA and if M.S. can be talked into it the Top Hat type saloons rather than FIA'.As long as the organisers dont spend a bag of money on Brums greatest driver as they did for the last Coys it will be better for is all.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 09:07 (Ref:1112062)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by ianselva
Much as I would love to see a big Historic weekend at Silverstone instead of the boring GP, I can't see the public attending in big enough numbers . The Coys meetings started of well but the attendances dropped after a few years. I'm not sure what makes the diffeence between that and Goodwood - perhaps it is the whole atmosphere including the costumes.
Does anyone else think that the problem with "Coys" was that it moved more towards how much was going to be spent in the auction, rather than what was happening on track?

Quote:
Originally posted by ianselva
Silverstone circuit is sadly lacking in atmosphere and has fairly poor viewing areas ,thanks partly to F1, huge runoff areas, catch fencing everywhere etc.
If you want competitve motorsport you need the run offs. Goodwood is only open for the one historic meeting each year, Silverstone must necessarily cope with BTCC, FIA GT's F3 etc. Safety cannot be compromised in this respect.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 09:24 (Ref:1112085)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
that would work for me! Fortunately James Beckett is very Historic friendly so lets keep our fingers crossed, sadly I fear it is unlikely as I am sure all the factions will agree something before the 13 Oct deadline, but here's hoping!!