Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Mar 2013, 18:54 (Ref:3214180)   #1
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren & Honda back together

There's a story over on the BBC about Honda coming back to Formula 1 as an engine supplier with McLaren.

Didn't see this coming but I hope it comes to fruition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21655985
Old 4 Mar 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3214219)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This was rumored some time ago after Mercedes bought Brawn.

Seems feasible to me and especially since McLaren seems on borrowed time with Mercedes. It's a logical tie up and Honda seems interested in the new engine formula. I would say it has a great chance of happening.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 00:08 (Ref:3214299)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
We can but hope ...
Old 5 Mar 2013, 00:13 (Ref:3214301)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back the good old times ! Then all we'll need is a sort of Senna's and Prost's personalities to make the japaneses interested enough...
Old 5 Mar 2013, 01:38 (Ref:3214313)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm still remembering their dismal efforts from a few years ago. They didn't have the best engine then, so why would they have one next year, or the year after? They're already behind the game, as it is.

Williams are reunited with Renault, but success needs more than just two names from the past to be brought back together again.

But anyway, best of look to them both.

I'm also a big Honda fan, but two wheels, not four.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 03:12 (Ref:3214331)   #6
IndyDonut
Racer

United States
New York City
IndyDonut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see it happen if only because having only three engine manufacturers (I'd count Cosworth, but their one customer isn't exactly swimming in cash) in F1 for 2014 would be pretty awful.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 04:47 (Ref:3214347)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont know why Honda & Toyota ever left, they shouldve always stayed as engine suppliers...
Old 5 Mar 2013, 05:38 (Ref:3214363)   #8
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Honda aren't having to spend money on building a chassis, they are going to be able to put 100% into the engine. Should be interesting.

It's a good time for new engine builders to come in with the 2014 reg changes.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 09:07 (Ref:3214422)   #9
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not the worst idea to be floated around the rumour mill. IIRC however McLaren have a contract to run Mercedes engines until 2015? Maybe it would be smarter for Honda to enter with another team (say, Sauber or Force India, maybe even Caterham or Marussia)? If they can produce a good enough engine, coupled with a somewhat competitive design, it might even entice the higher-ups at Honda to consider a re-entry?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 5 Mar 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3214512)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder how easy it might be to get out of that contract!

I cant imagine the team are happy that Merc are nicking their team members too. But if the contract is binding then I mdoubt they will be able to do much.

If Honda are seriuous though they will probably have already come up with a spec, and looked at costs

Marketing wise it makes sense fot hem to be there, the engines aill be perhaps more efficient and reflect more on real world engines, plus they would probably want to get involved in KERS as that is very green!

I always wondered why they tried to build a whole car, their best success has always been as a supplier in cars, bikes are their best area but they dont always get it right there too!!
Old 5 Mar 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3214521)   #11
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the BBC article mentioned

Quote:
McLaren has a contract with Mercedes with options for the team to renew for 2014 and 2015. McLaren are expected to take up only the first of those options
So there isn't an issue with them getting out of the contract for 2015
Old 6 Mar 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3215204)   #12
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda build very successful turbo engine for other motorsport and they get to see what appears in 2014.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 02:08 (Ref:3215347)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
McLaren Honda..I loved those days, it's time for a new livery anyway..
Attached Thumbnails
McLaren_MP4-6_Honda.jpg  
Old 7 Mar 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3215349)   #14
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
McLaren Honda..I loved those days, it's time for a new livery anyway..
McLaren should be getting a new livery next year anyway since Vodafone isn't renewing their sponsorship.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 04:22 (Ref:3215372)   #15
IndyDonut
Racer

United States
New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
McLaren should be getting a new livery next year anyway since Vodafone isn't renewing their sponsorship.
Good thing they have a certain driver who has a certain sponsor that is run by a certain billionaire. White and light blue livery would be interesting in Formula 1.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3215554)   #16
Dave_G
Racer

United States
Vermont, USA
Dave_G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I'm still remembering their dismal efforts from a few years ago. They didn't have the best engine then, so why would they have one next year, or the year after?
Because V8s (or V10s) are not part of what Honda does. A turbo 1.6 would be much closer to Honda's strength.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3215721)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_G View Post
Because V8s (or V10s) are not part of what Honda does. A turbo 1.6 would be much closer to Honda's strength.
I thought that Honda were pretty much against turbos for their road cars? They like to make high revving engines in order to make power. They do it so well for their motorcycles, which also follow the same philosophy of using high revs to make power.

Honda do currently have a 2.4 litre turbo V6 engine in the Indy car series, which uses a single turbo, but it's not as good as Chevrolet's twin turbo engine.

hmmmm

Well, at least they have some valuable R&D with regard to modern single turbo V6 engines.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3215728)   #18
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theres also the btcc but pretty sure thats a 4pot.

Are they still on lower boost than everybody else?

Turbo hondas are very popular aftermarket huge scene in drag racing for them.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 22:29 (Ref:3215765)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
Theres also the btcc but pretty sure thats a 4pot.
Have they all done squabbling about parity?
Old 8 Mar 2013, 06:51 (Ref:3215859)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Have they all done squabbling about parity?

Old 8 Mar 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3215912)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDonut View Post
Good thing they have a certain driver who has a certain sponsor that is run by a certain billionaire. White and light blue livery would be interesting in Formula 1.
If McLaren run in that livery I think I'd actually weep with rage.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3216123)   #22
IndyDonut
Racer

United States
New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
If McLaren run in that livery I think I'd actually weep with rage.
Well if that becomes their main sponsor, we'd have to accept it. Besides, what if they make the livery look good?
Old 8 Mar 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3216167)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
No one is going to pass up the offer of a huge sponsorship deal because white and blue clashes with chrome.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3216290)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I presume they wouldn't run chrome with Telmex branding.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3216393)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it's a T into a M...