Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Oct 2015, 08:38 (Ref:3578540)   #1
Tracsmart
Rookie

Tracsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson Button

How come the motorsport press haven't reported this?

Jenson Button tells Auto Express he'll continue in F1 with McLaren next year

Jenson Button has told Auto Express that he’ll be remaining in Formula One with McLaren for 2016 – and possibly longer.

Speaking at an event for sponsor Esso in London on Wednesday night, the 2009 World Champion told us: “As Ron [Dennis] stated at the weekend, I have a contract with the team, so I’ll be with the team next year.”

Button also talked enthusiastically about coming developments in F1 – including for the 2017 season, indicating he may want to remain at the top level of motorsport for some years yet.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 08:51 (Ref:3578542)   #2
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news, JB deserves another season after Mclaren messed him around last year and the farce that has been this season. But what now for Stoffel and Kevin? mclaren have two very talented drivers going to waste, and I'm not on about Button or Alonso!
Old 1 Oct 2015, 10:20 (Ref:3578555)   #3
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
There's no real mileage in having an inexperienced driver in the seat, given that with Mclaren's woes they need to develop, develop, develop and Button's immense experience is valuable in that respect

Ironically if Mclaren had of been competitive, it's hard to see Button being favoured over the young hot shots.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 10:26 (Ref:3578557)   #4
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
But what now for Stoffel and Kevin?
Good question. I think it will be hard to get both in a F1 race seat next year. Let's hope at least one of them makes it.

I have nothing against Button, but if I - as a fan - had the choice between Button and Magnussen and/or Vandoorne, I would have made a different choice.

Preferably I would have had all 3, but I think that is very unlikely.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 10:32 (Ref:3578560)   #5
LesterForbes
Site Partner
Rookie

United Nations
Glossop, Derbyshire
LesterForbes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Downforce Radio will play the interview with him from last night http://downforce-radio.co.uk/jenson-...stay-for-2016/

but yes, odd how the usual motorsport press were sitting on their hands and didn't get round to publishing this until this morning.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3578566)   #6
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Good question. I think it will be hard to get both in a F1 race seat next year. Let's hope at least one of them makes it.

I have nothing against Button, but if I - as a fan - had the choice between Button and Magnussen and/or Vandoorne, I would have made a different choice.

Preferably I would have had all 3, but I think that is very unlikely.
Oh I'm a huge Button fan, but I really rate Stoffel and will be disappointed if he spends a season on the sidelines.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 14:56 (Ref:3578608)   #7
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Mclaren seems like a really fun place to work where everyone is enjoying themselves...

I'm pleased for Jenson, and who knows the car might be more competetive next year. Look at what Ferrari have achieved in a relatively short space of time.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 16:31 (Ref:3578643)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am pleased that Jenson will stay for another year .. He outspoken in a constructive way and knows how to develop a car ...
Old 1 Oct 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3578648)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jenson is accustomed thanks by his bad years with Benetton and Honda. For him, be in the back with McLaren won't harm him. At last, he's a world champion.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 17:15 (Ref:3604429)   #10
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you go to JB's Twitter page there is an option to vote for which helmet design he will use this year.

https://twitter.com/JensonButton?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Old 13 Jan 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3604434)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Does anyone know what the Oriental characters on his helmet mean?
Old 13 Jan 2016, 18:44 (Ref:3604455)   #12
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Does anyone know what the Oriental characters on his helmet mean?
He usually has JB and ichi ban (japanese for number one and also the name of his triathlon team) in kanji on his helmets.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 21:21 (Ref:3604523)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
good knowledge!

so looking at the 2013 and 2015 options, the 2015 helmet has a few more characters on it then the 2013.

as you say, the old one means 'number one' but not sure what the 2015 characters stand for...anyways i wonder if they made him take that off his helmet after they started assigning drivers permanent numbers?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3604679)   #14
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
good knowledge!

so looking at the 2013 and 2015 options, the 2015 helmet has a few more characters on it then the 2013.

as you say, the old one means 'number one' but not sure what the 2015 characters stand for...anyways i wonder if they made him take that off his helmet after they started assigning drivers permanent numbers?
Wedding ring for sale, little used?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 12:11 (Ref:3604698)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Wedding ring for sale, little used?
Harsh.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 15:25 (Ref:3604746)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is that a reference to JB and wife having their engagement ring stolen last summer?

i'll admit i laughed when i read that but now feeling a bit guilty about it.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 16:17 (Ref:3604761)   #17
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
is that a reference to JB and wife having their engagement ring stolen last summer?

i'll admit i laughed when i read that but now feeling a bit guilty about it.
Actually they have sadly split up recently. I will say that if this was someone like Hamilton it would have generated more press. I suspect that given it appears to be amicable and that Jenson has such a good image it has received little press (not that it is any of our business!) It sounds like they both have busy lives and even once married spent more time apart than together. I think she continued to live in Japan (close to her work) and he in Monaco (when not traveling).

Richard
Old 14 Jan 2016, 16:58 (Ref:3604777)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
did not know that. sad news indeed. glad its not all over the gossip press or his twitter feed...speaks volumes about how classy of a guy he is.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3604778)   #19
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
did not know that. sad news indeed. glad its not all over the gossip press or his twitter feed...speaks volumes about how classy of a guy he is.
It was all over the gossip press. You must have (fortunately) missed it all.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 17:26 (Ref:3604784)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
It was all over the gossip press. You must have (fortunately) missed it all.
yep fortunately i have not seen the daily mail in some time lol
Old 10 Feb 2016, 18:06 (Ref:3613736)   #21
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Actually they have sadly split up recently. I will say that if this was someone like Hamilton it would have generated more press. I suspect that given it appears to be amicable and that Jenson has such a good image it has received little press (not that it is any of our business!) It sounds like they both have busy lives and even once married spent more time apart than together. I think she continued to live in Japan (close to her work) and he in Monaco (when not traveling).

Richard
Two high achievers with totally different careers, schedules and globe-trotting itineraries. Can't imagine how anyone could hold a marriage together in those circumstances. Sad, but not too surprising. Good luck next year, JB...
Old 4 Sep 2016, 09:13 (Ref:3669941)   #22
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder what Jenson's plans are for the future. If he takes a rest for next year but still would like to race in 2018 then he will need to keep himself race fit. As he would appear to be contracted to McLaren/Honda then I wonder where he could do if a few races with either marque where he can relax and enjoy it without outside pressure.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 10:16 (Ref:3669944)   #23
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to me more like McLaren wants to replace him but as he has a contract for next year they can't so have come up with this idea instead...I don't see Button racing at all in F1 in 2018
Old 4 Sep 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3669948)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
He didn't have a contract with McLaren for 2017. He was on a one-year deal.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 11:53 (Ref:3669954)   #25
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
Seems to me more like McLaren wants to replace him but as he has a contract for next year they can't so have come up with this idea instead...I don't see Button racing at all in F1 in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
He didn't have a contract with McLaren for 2017. He was on a one-year deal.
And why on earth, then, would McLaren now sign him up for a non-racing contract for a reputed £5 million for 2017. As BSF, above, says, he, Ron Dennis, could just as easily have shown him the door at no cost whatsoever, but has chosen to keep JB on the squad. Which seems to indicate that McLaren value him, especially considering that there must be a fairly long queue of thrusting young talents vying for the chance to get on to McLaren's books!

As has been said, it may well be that Dennis and McLaren are looking at 2018, and the possibility that Alonso chooses not renew, and this would give the team the option of bringing JB back into the race team to fill Fernando's seat.