Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Jun 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2908817)   #76
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So does this mean Penske's back in ALMS?
Old 30 Jun 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2908818)   #77
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have they had anything to do with this announcement?...
Old 30 Jun 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2908820)   #78
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Will there even be an ALMS to be back in in 2014?!
Old 30 Jun 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2908821)   #79
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Penske Porsche

I can only hope.....
Old 30 Jun 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2908826)   #80
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Formula One.......Nascar........IndyCar........

Nascar will never be in trouble....formula One will nevere be in trouble......Not sure about indycar though
F1 is dominated by a drinks manufactuer.

Admitedly, I don't follow F1 closely these days, yet I know all about Red Bull, Newey and Vettel, but it was only today, reading up on the 2014 engine switch, I realised they were powered by Renault.

In sportscars, the manufactuers is first, and foremost.

F1 can continue as is, but as a car fan, it has little relevance, if I follow a manufactuer, it will be in sportscars, rallying or touring cars.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2908830)   #81
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
F1 can continue as is, but as a car fan, it has little relevance, if I follow a manufactuer, it will be in sportscars, rallying or touring cars.
And that is exactly why F1 will always be bigger than Sportscars, Touring cars or Rallying. Most people don't want to follow faceless corporations but rather people they can relate to, usually by virtue of nationality.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2908834)   #82
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im a pessimist, but I love looking through forums and people always find to see this as a bad thing: Audi pulling out, what happens if Peugeot pulls out, too many manufacturers in LMP1, LMP1 is too expensive, Honda will go to DP, evil aliens in tin spaceships destroying Circuit de La Sarthe, ect.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2908835)   #83
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Will there even be an ALMS to be back in in 2014?!
I don't think there will be an ALMS that has LMP1s, the series will most likely get scaled back to LMP2/LMPC & GTs to survive.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2908837)   #84
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
F1 is the soap opera of Motorsport. Nevertheless i enjoy F1. F1 is more about the drivers ego's and personalities and who has the best technical staff...

Adrian Newey is the King of aerodynamics. That is a thats why Red bull is in impecabble form.

More interesting is the fact that Adrian Newey was at Mclaren and had the fastest car there but poor Kimi Raikkonen couldn't buy any reliability there.

In a sense Along with Adrian newey comes reliability woes.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2908839)   #85
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
And that is exactly why F1 will always be bigger than Sportscars, Touring cars or Rallying. Most people don't want to follow faceless corporations but rather people they can relate to, usually by virtue of nationality.
I never understood the nationality thing though, I´ve never picked my favorite drivers, teams or athletes in general based on their nationality.

Just because someone's German dosen't mean I feel like rooting for them. In fact, it makes it actually less likely
Old 30 Jun 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2908841)   #86
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Like the Formula 1 hero of the British Working Class Nigel Mansell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTOrHCnCoy0

Old 30 Jun 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2908843)   #87
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I never understood the nationality thing though, I´ve never picked my favorite drivers, teams or athletes in general based on their nationality.

Just because someone's German dosen't mean I feel like rooting for them. In fact, it makes it actually less likely

Tell that to the town of Heppenheim
Old 30 Jun 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2908845)   #88
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
People can relate to marque, especially to the ones they (and their fathers) are driving. Take Opel or Volkswagen for example. These marques have a large following, because many people drive its cars. This is why many Opel fans flocked to DTM races in the mid-90s, to see their marque kick Mercedes and Alfas butts.

And speaking of faceless corporations, Red Bull is at least as much faceless as Mercedes is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post

Well I root(ed) for Michael Schumacher in F1, for Audi in endurance racing and rooted for BMW in WTCC. I'm by no means biased towards Germany, but I want to see my country being internationally successful. That includes motorsport
Old 30 Jun 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2908846)   #89
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Even if Audi does stay with Porsche in LMP1, somehow people will find something to be worried about.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2908863)   #90
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WOW, WOW, WOW. What fantastic news to wake up to. The long awaited and much anticipated return is now going to happen. My son actually woke me at about midnight to tell me. What a great day.....well, for us Porsche nuts, anyway.
I wonder if Ferrari will now have the balls to come back to P1.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2908869)   #91
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
F1 is the soap opera of Motorsport. Nevertheless i enjoy F1. F1 is more about the drivers ego's and personalities and who has the best technical staff...

Adrian Newey is the King of aerodynamics. That is a thats why Red bull is in impecabble form.

More interesting is the fact that Adrian Newey was at Mclaren and had the fastest car there but poor Kimi Raikkonen couldn't buy any reliability there.

In a sense Along with Adrian newey comes reliability woes.
Steve Matchett had mentioned that numerous times on SPEED's F1 coverage. Newey likes to run the body as tight as possible and run less than most of designers think is necessary for cooling. This his cars are often fast but very fragile, not so sure he could ever be attracted over to sportscars.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2908872)   #92
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
F1 is dominated by a drinks manufactuer.

Admitedly, I don't follow F1 closely these days, yet I know all about Red Bull, Newey and Vettel, but it was only today, reading up on the 2014 engine switch, I realised they were powered by Renault.

In sportscars, the manufactuers is first, and foremost.

F1 has no road relevance and never has, though in the last few years the FIA have been trying to push F1 down that path; their latest attempt is the V6 1.6L turbo which comes into effect in 2014.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2908880)   #93
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I think with the Audi / Porsche debate, the one thing that could theoretically keep both there is the fact that more competition = more interest. If both were there then the perceived level of competition raises even if VAG has an even stronger chance of one of its brands triumphing.

I'd say interest in Le Mans in the media is higher with Peugeot vs Audi than in the years preceding it, 2002/3 being the possible exceptions because of the perceived triumph of Bentley over Audi.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2908881)   #94
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Steve Matchett had mentioned that numerous times on SPEED's F1 coverage. Newey likes to run the body as tight as possible and run less than most of designers think is necessary for cooling. This his cars are often fast but very fragile, not so sure he could ever be attracted over to sportscars.
Newey loves Sportscars and Le Mans!
Last year he competed in a Ferrari at Le Mans...

Also the Red Bull is a very reliable car this year. But yes, Newey likes to push the design to the limit, but i think he finally learned the lection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
F1 has no road relevance and never has, though in the last few years the FIA have been trying to push F1 down that path; their latest attempt is the V6 1.6L turbo which comes into effect in 2014.
F1 has but a lot of development into technologies found in todays cars. (Just see Computer controlled engines)

But we are going of topic of this amazing news.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2908886)   #95
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
WOW, WOW, WOW. What fantastic news to wake up to. The long awaited and much anticipated return is now going to happen. My son actually woke me at about midnight to tell me. What a great day.....well, for us Porsche nuts, anyway.
I wonder if Ferrari will now have the balls to come back to P1.
you mean like porshce never did in F1
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2908907)   #96
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, let´s begin speculation:

1 - Wich Engine ???
2 - Coupe or open ???
3 - Driver´s ????
4 - Team´s ???
5 - How much Horsepower ???
6 - Hibrid ????

I Love Speculation
Old 30 Jun 2011, 21:32 (Ref:2908910)   #97
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Newey loves Sportscars and Le Mans!
Last year he competed in a Ferrari at Le Mans...
Wow, Porsche going to P1 is a long way off if it's only 2008 right now.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2908913)   #98
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Wow, Porsche going to P1 is a long way off if it's only 2008 right now.
Was that 2008!? - wow i'm getting old (and only being 20years)
Old 30 Jun 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2908916)   #99
mackteck
Rookie

Ireland
co.meath
mackteck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the big Porsche display in the museum at LM this year suddenly makes sense .... great news!!!
Old 30 Jun 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2908917)   #100
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Was that 2008!? - wow i'm getting old (and only being 20years)
It was 2007, so we'd be in 2008 if it had only been a year ago