Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Oct 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2320647)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Elite or MGB which is more fun to race?

There has been a lot of debate as to which is faster with the conclusion being that a "hot" (I use that word in its most liberal sense!) MGB being quicker and a legal one being less clear (espicially on tighter circuits) but which is more fun to race?
Old 25 Oct 2008, 17:11 (Ref:2320652)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say the Elite on the grounds that they are more involving to drive quickly.Fantastic little engine that makes all the right noises,skinny little 4" wheels with Dunlops,gotta be fun!
Old 25 Oct 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2320690)   #3
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There aren't many people qualified to comment. Speaking as someone who has raced an Elite, but not an MGB, the Elite is, as Terence says, wonderful to drive. They give so much feedback, that they're almost impossible to spin. The engine is free-revving, and sounds great.

It's also one of the best-looking cars ever built.

It would be nice to have a run in an MGB, though - the extra grunt might prove alluring!...
Old 25 Oct 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2320835)   #4
Torston
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Torston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We should really be comparing the MGA & Elite, as the MGB is a generation later and not of the same era.
However, have a look at:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=yNxyuypmOKo
for an example of both cars racing at Mount Panorama, Bathurst.
Interesting comparison between the uphill & downhill performances.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 07:15 (Ref:2320901)   #5
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great video Torston.

The B doesn't seem to go like the ones do in Europe where 2 litre ++ is the norm.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 09:00 (Ref:2320958)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Great vidio Torston thanks. The circuit looks like a lot of fun.From the sound of the engine you are running a very tall diff. ?
Old 26 Oct 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2321036)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sadly I dont know how to get the sound working but it looked like you were flying when you eventually got passed the B... great video
Old 26 Oct 2008, 19:52 (Ref:2321250)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Elite or MGB which is more fun to race?

A Ford Anglia is the correct answer

arguably a better quality car as well.

and it complies with a modern day bankers budget
Old 26 Oct 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2321328)   #9
Torston
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
You are quite correct. That was a "quiet" MGB that gets driven to and from the circuits. The quick ones were all long gone.

I was running a 4.55 diff on Hooziers, which gave about 130 mph on the rev limiter through the right hander in the down hill straight.

The Elite problem is the climb UP the mountain which is almost 600 ft from the start line. As the smallest car in the field, it is very frustrating.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2321551)   #10
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks like your Elite is full fitted inside for road use. The Delta Elite is in full race spec with everything light-weight (apart from the driver when I drive it). It is, however, ridiculous to compare 1216 cc with 1800 cc. The Elite comes from a racing stable and is designed with racing in mind. That cannot really be said for the MGBs. If both were raced in period specification there is no doubt which would be quicker round the corners.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2321558)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching that,two things that have not been mentioned are that the Elite is benefiting from its shape, a B is not exactly aerodynamic,especialy so without a hardtop,some of the advantage seemed to come from the Elite drivers ability as well.The B in front after he had gone around the outside of the Sebring Sprite etc certainly had a lot more grunt available.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2321616)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From a layman's point of view, it is a tad strange to compare specifically these two. What about Turners, G4s, Couriers, Granturas etc, and even, as a previous poster has mentioned, the MGA. The Elite was a limited production bespoke small engined roadracer starting in the late 50s and the 'B', a volume production road sportscar from the 60's. The cars I've mentioned in the previous sentence, to a certain extent, filled the gaps in between. Just wondering whether it would be worth broadening the discussion.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2321625)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

out racing and tour auto'ing they seem to be the two most popular choice in the realistic catergory. Clearly the B's are more plentiful but there are more Elites than Ginetta's or Turners out racing however perhaps we should change the thread to whats the most fun small engine "club" racer sportscar...
Old 27 Oct 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2321628)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Take your point, Simon, but thought it might be worth expanding the subject now.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2321631)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
From a layman's point of view, it is a tad strange to compare specifically these two. What about Turners, G4s, Couriers, Granturas etc, and even, as a previous poster has mentioned, the MGA. The Elite was a limited production bespoke small engined roadracer starting in the late 50s and the 'B', a volume production road sportscar from the 60's. The cars I've mentioned in the previous sentence, to a certain extent, filled the gaps in between. Just wondering whether it would be worth broadening the discussion.

Quite right John,but in the context that Simon is reffering to,I understand Simon to be wandering if he should be using the Elite or changing to a B.
Most MGAs would be a fair comparison but see-ing as most are not that quick
[FIA cars that is] there is not much room for any back to back comparison.
G4,I dont think an Elite would stand a chance,same as a Grantura with B mechanicals fitted.One rare version,advertised elsewhere,is,apparently one of the factory lightweight cars,originally fitted with the Climax would be a really good comparison though,unfortunatly,the original is missing and has a B unit installed.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2321641)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
G4's are for vertically challenged drivers

what was a Spridget homologated with ?

given the pace of A35's surely one would trump both a B and an elite in every respect
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2321662)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
They didn't at Spa.But saying that,the quickest at Mallory yesterday was knocking out 58s quite comfortably,something I would have thought might not be possible "in period".I know that would have left then trailing behind.

Last edited by terence; 27 Oct 2008 at 10:39.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2321663)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1340cc A35's or 998cc?

Spridget was 998/1098/1275 but the last incarnation was 1967(?) on, so 1098 is the one you'd look at here.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2321713)   #19
Torston
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
You are right "compte deGraves", a very observant comment.

My Elite is also fully trimmed, road equiped, registered and mildly tuned with twin SUs and a reasonable cam. And sadly the driver is currently running at about 100 Kg!
Old 27 Oct 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2321730)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
don't be shy Peter, I think 1460 is closer to the truth !

I asked re spridgets and Mrs Zef has a 67 midget @ 1275cc but pre66 it must have been homologated, presumably with 1098 ? ala MK2 MG midget ? although the 1275 existed in minis then if not now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
1340cc A35's or 998cc?

Spridget was 998/1098/1275 but the last incarnation was 1967(?) on, so 1098 is the one you'd look at here.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2321733)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was my point. The 1275 was '67. Unless someone has the Homologation cert and can check, but I remember standing outside a Garage in Upper Richmond road when I was about 11/12 years old looking at one in the showroom. It was that sunburst red colour with the black cills.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2321782)   #22
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
don't be shy Peter, I think 1460 is closer to the truth !

I asked re spridgets and Mrs Zef has a 67 midget @ 1275cc but pre66 it must have been homologated, presumably with 1098 ? ala MK2 MG midget ? although the 1275 existed in minis then if not now!
Original frogeye sprite was introduced with 948 cc engine then went to 998cc, IIRC. The later sprite/midget had 998cc then 1098cc; not sure that 1275cc was pre-66.
However, the 1098 with 1.2mm overbore comes nicely within the 1150cc class limit at around 1137cc.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2321832)   #23
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
agree the 1275 was in production in '65 but transverse in the Cooper S. ISTR Abingdon put a 1275 into a works Spridget the same year but it was entered as a Prototype at Sebring or similar??
Old 27 Oct 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2321844)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
Original frogeye sprite was introduced with 948 cc engine then went to 998cc, IIRC. The later sprite/midget had 998cc then 1098cc; not sure that 1275cc was pre-66.
However, the 1098 with 1.2mm overbore comes nicely within the 1150cc class limit at around 1137cc.
Apologies, quite right it started as a 948cc.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 14:53 (Ref:2321847)   #25
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Papers no 569 Group3 MG midget Mk III 1275 01/07/1967 GB 0 amendments

Correct after 1966