Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 10 Jun 2002, 22:41 (Ref:310109)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do you like LOUD un-silenced engines?

I took a trip to Santa Pod drag strip a couple of weeks ago. Has any other member been?
The top fuel 6000 bhp dragsters are SO loud!! There is a 30ft high grass spectator bank full of fans beside the drag strip and behind that a further 200 yards away the car parks - yet the noise and vibration from just one of these monsters leaving the line set off all the car alarms!
The speed is incredible - 304 mph across the finish line
at a quarter of a mile from a standing start in 4.9 seconds!
0-100 mph in 0.9 of a second. Think your average Porsche or Ferrari is quick? Get this- 0-60mph in 0.45 sec.
It is not just the cars that are an awesome spectacle - the guys who ride the drag bikes are truly mad! 2000bhp from a supercharged nitro 1300cc Harley drag bike and the standing quarter in 6.5 secs at 220 mph plus!

A very differnt experience from our usual racing but worth visiting all the same. ( Unless it rains - like CART, no race)
Old 11 Jun 2002, 00:13 (Ref:310189)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive not been to santa pod yet, but would love to go sometime. Those 'Funny' cars look great.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 08:56 (Ref:310392)   #3
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Santa Pod is on my list of "things to do" as well, along with National Hotrods, F1 Stocks and maybe some autograssing - I'm always impressed after the Autosport show and for the last 2 years I've promised myself I'll get to some events.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 16:24 (Ref:310738)   #4
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's on my list of 'things to do' too - but why not have some real fun, they do regular 'Run what you Brung days' so anyone can pay their 12 quid (or whatever it is these days) and go up the 'strip' under their own power - see how long it takes in a regular car !
Old 11 Jun 2002, 16:35 (Ref:310743)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The meeting to go to is the European Finals on September 7/8. However, as usual the racing calendar is so crowded it's the same weekend as the Goodwood Revival. Bit of a dilema! Might have to do the Pod Saturday, Goodwood Sunday or vice versa. Depends on the weather - if there is the slightest threat of a shower the dragsters don't run even if one rain drop hits the track. I guess 6000bhp and a greasy track dont mix! Then there is the Duxford airshow same weekend...decisions decisions..Can't we have 4 day weekends like the Jubilee?
Old 11 Jun 2002, 21:14 (Ref:311038)   #6
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have some experience of Drag Racing, first meeting was back in 75. Now this is not a plug for a website, but you might like to see some of my pix from my archives. And yes I like em loud!!
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kelvin.fagan/dragracing/

Kelvin

Last edited by Kelvin; 11 Jun 2002 at 21:15.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 21:31 (Ref:311064)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Great pix!!
I remember dragsters at Snetterton - they went the wrong way down the Revett straight. One lost its parachute and ended up a couple of fields away!
Your pic of 'tender Trap' - was that driven by then Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis?
Others I recall were Jag engined mini van 'Stripteaser' and top fuellers Clive Skilton and Dennis Priddle.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 21:48 (Ref:311083)   #8
Kelvin
Veteran

DLT did drive Tender trap, but not in that photo.
There were only a few races run at Snetterton. Going back in time motorcycle sprints were held at Duxford!!
Old 11 Jun 2002, 21:52 (Ref:311084)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I didn't know that! Went to a car sprint at Waterbeach back in the 60s though.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 22:14 (Ref:311091)   #10
Kelvin
Veteran

Bikes sprinted at Waterbeach too, I took pictures. We did try to get permission to have drag racing there to, managed to get some demo runs with a dragster at one of the Burma Star days!
Old 11 Jun 2002, 22:18 (Ref:311092)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Wasn't there a plan once to have drag racing at Bourn airfield - off the St.Neots road?
Saw a demo at Debden once. I must have been about 7! Think it was the original Commuter dragster. Poured with rain though so it was a very slow pass.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 22:23 (Ref:311094)   #12
Kelvin
Veteran

Not sure about Bourn, Debden was also a popular venue for sprints, mostly bikes. There was also Blackbuse airport, RAF Wroughton, and possibly somewhere down Yeovil way all used for sprints and drags!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:22 (Ref:313656)   #13
Slowcoach
Racer

Excuse me butting in, but they are still sprinting cars at Debden, I did about half a dozen there in '99 and 2000 - excellent venue (assuming we are talking about the same Debden) - RAF Weathersfield is still hosting sprints-that's a great venue too, we used the airfield perimeter road, just one lap - but over 4 miles!
Also last time I was at North Weald doing a sprint they had a proper Drag bike meeting on one of the other runways. None of the above can be very far if you are Cambridge boys.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:58 (Ref:313671)   #14
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks for the info!
what car do you use for sprinting?
Were you at the Hethel sprint about a month ago?
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:58 (Ref:313672)   #15
Kelvin
Veteran

Thanks for the update Slowcoach! I'm actually off to my first proper drag race meet for a long time this weekend. Not exactly local (Avon Park) Nr Stratford Upon Avon.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:59 (Ref:313673)   #16
Kelvin
Veteran

Spooky, posts at same time!!!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 17:03 (Ref:313677)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Wierd!!!! Enjoy Avon Park...hope it doesn't rain or you won't see much! You might catch the entries etc and timetable on www.eurodragster.com
Old 14 Jun 2002, 19:31 (Ref:313838)   #18
Kelvin
Veteran

Printed out the entry list already, I'm off to see fast lady Sandra Chaplain, a work collegue from Cambridge.
http://www.thinkpinkracing.co.uk/
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:21 (Ref:316129)   #19
Slowcoach
Racer

Sorry for the delay in replying - well most recently a Nissan GTiR - Pulsar - I'm sure you know what I'm talking about - fabulous little car-imported from Japan very heavily modified adjustable boost which when sprinting I would turn up to 2 bar! (yes two bar) but sold that about a year ago and now race in Classic Thunder series in a Rover - do regret not hanging onto the Nissan aswell but there you go...
By coincidence there was a Drag meeting at North Weald on Sunday but I only found out today ! Anyway the next one is 7th July and then 1st September - details on www.dragrace.co.uk

Last edited by Slowcoach; 18 Jun 2002 at 14:22.