Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:08 (Ref:644803)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Williams & BMW extend partnership

Reuters report the partnership has been extended until 2009.

" This new contract envisages enhanced integration between the two partners" said BMW's Burkhard Goeschel. FW said " I have every confidence that with the structure of this new agreement we will be able to draw from a deeper pool of BMW resource"
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:13 (Ref:644806)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More input from BMW in stuff like chassis design sounds good.
I think...
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:23 (Ref:644813)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm slightly suprised at this, I wasn't expecting BMW to tie themselves down to Williams for so long. The actual WIlliams chassis has been weaker than the engine for each of the last 3 years, and Gerhard Berger has been agitated about this.

What happens if Honda buy BAR, Mercedes buy McLarenoir strike out on their own? BMW become the only non-fully-works team. This may not impact their track performance, but it will cost them in the publicity stake,s which is ultiamtely what they're their for. 'Reanult' winning a race sounds much more impressive than 'Williams, assisted by BMW', which is how the man on the street views it.

Perhaps increased cross-pollination of technical staff will be the solution to the poor performance. Thinking about it, Frank and patrick will probably be ready to sell up by 2009, and BMW may buy the team. The whole environemtn of F1 might've changed by then though - 6 years is a long time to make this commitment.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:53 (Ref:644853)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It appears all th teams will go full works, do you think BMW is going to race a bad williams? it will be very heavily influenced. no one is as lucky as maclaren and mercedes that is a partnership
newey is the best.
Now Toyota better get their **** together, BAR will become HONDA soon enouugh the livery is already leaning that way, Jaguar is a very poor works effort but it is a work team. Renault...I don't see the trend dieing out any time soon.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:55 (Ref:644859)   #5
billaboy
Rookie

billaboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Gerhard Berger retired at the start of the season....whats he still doing with Williams?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:59 (Ref:644870)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think BMW see it as their own team but without having to deal with all the crummy day-to-day stuff.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 15:11 (Ref:644879)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
... This may not impact their track performance, but it will cost them in the publicity stake,s which is ultiamtely what they're their for. 'Reanult' winning a race sounds much more impressive than 'Williams, assisted by BMW', which is how the man on the street views it.
Honda has been in F1 from almost 20 years, and never got on the track with a branded car; they tried 1999, but also in that case they entrusted Dallara to privide for the chassis.
At the end of the day they estimated that providing the sole engine, the return of image is pretty much the same, it involves a lower investment and risk in case of bad results.
Take the case of Toyota and Honda: Toyota pays entirely their failure, whereas Honda can say: it depends on BAR's bad chassis; BMW as well can chanrge FW25 for disappointing season start.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 15:14 (Ref:644880)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HONDA? 20 years, perhaps straight but honda has been in it since 1964. thats 40 years mate
Old 27 Jun 2003, 15:36 (Ref:644897)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And with their own car too.
(This is the 1966 car)
Attached Thumbnails
1966_01e.jpg  
Old 27 Jun 2003, 16:49 (Ref:644947)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I'm glad they have extended the contract. Williams is a solid team, and BMW deserves that.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 17:13 (Ref:644955)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must say I'm VERY pleased.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 18:07 (Ref:644992)   #12
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its great news indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that if BMW had set up its own team it would have taken many years to get a chasis as good as the engine.

OK, the Williams isn't the best chassis at the moment, but its getting better. In the last 4 races they have scored 41 points which is only 12 behind Ferrari (16 ahead of McLaren and 20 ahead of Renault).
Old 27 Jun 2003, 18:38 (Ref:645008)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was the only smart move BWM could make. If they were to pull out they would have lost the battle against Mercedes in their key performance market, if they had gone it alone then there is no way they'd be on Williams/Mclaren/Ferrari pace any time soon and with the top teams all manufacturer backed already there was no option to jump ship and go elsewhere. BWM needs Williams more than the other way around so this was always going to happen.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 19:01 (Ref:645020)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I was VERY surprised at the length of the contract, I was expecting maybe till the end of 2005.

Seems like BMW are in now for the long haul.

Whats the bet that if they haven't won the championship by 2009 they pull out?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 19:12 (Ref:645028)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari have proved that long term stability is the key to success. It was always going to be all or nothing.
Old 28 Jun 2003, 02:32 (Ref:645234)   #16
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
unless it is a long term take over of the team I think BMW have made a big mistake
Only time will tell
Old 28 Jun 2003, 03:13 (Ref:645244)   #17
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at it as people seem to be, with BAR becoming a official works team and the same being already true at Williams for all intents and purposes whatever name is on the cars, this looks even worse for Minardi and Jordan, and it leaves Sauber in a very akward positiong, if Minardi and Jordan drop out, and the other two become full works as opposed to the quasi arangment we see now, that leaves Sauber as nothing but a virtual ferrari junior team. They have their new wind tunnel, but how will they compete in a works dominated world. It would be interesting to watch IMO because of the fact that they regularly beat two full works teams now and compete with BAR
Old 28 Jun 2003, 04:45 (Ref:645261)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is there a clause in the deal that says they will stop slinging off at each other in the press??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Jun 2003, 06:05 (Ref:645287)   #19
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
with Williams I doubt it
Old 28 Jun 2003, 16:16 (Ref:645506)   #20
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
I was VERY surprised at the length of the contract, I was expecting maybe till the end of 2005.
The first deal was for 5 years (2000 - 2004) so it was always going to be longer than an extra year (05).

So its just another 5 year contract.

The first contract was probably first talked about around 96 time, so they have now been together for a long time.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 21:25 (Ref:646502)   #21
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I guess they BMW boys took down the poster of the turtle in their motorhome then?
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:04 (Ref:646974)   #22
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news! It's great for F1 that Williams is still Willliams. After Ken Tyrell retirement Frank is the only tradition guardian in the autosport. I can't imaginate his team without him.

Just remember what Ford did with Steward team! God save Frank Williams!