Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jun 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2894156)   #201
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You, Conrad, would be one of the more respected people om this forum from an NZ perspective. As part of the famous trio - Ernie, K2, and yourself - would be well connected from a BMW perspective.

There does seem to be a bit of barrowing on here, as you call it.

More than a few people are excited about this new category, but more than a few people are concerned. Balance is welcome, and we all (truly) appreciate it.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2894223)   #202
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Speedcafe article filling out the entry list further:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/06/09/...-supertourers/
great stuff that
Old 9 Jun 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2894225)   #203
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Myself and others are just trying to provide a bit of balance and discussion to this rather lopsided debate,so please don't take it personally!

And you don't need to be loaded to be involved, most of these guys are doing it on OPM (other peoples money)
comments taken aboard
Old 10 Jun 2011, 03:02 (Ref:2894875)   #204
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Will anyone be racing a GT3 in NZ next season?
Nope: http://motornews.co.nz/index.cfm?content_id=564
Old 10 Jun 2011, 04:14 (Ref:2894885)   #205
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

WOW!

I wonder what the likes of XXX Motorsport will do, whose whole business is built around this class? I am sure they will be eyeing up the NZST category a bit more seriously, after first dismissing it?

I heard that FF has been dropped from Tier 1 as well. With the V8 brigades loyalties split between NZV8's and NZST, then Tier 1 is looking very shaky for the next season. Interesting times ahead for sure?

And from this story:

http://motornews.co.nz/index.cfm?content_id=558

is this quote from Gary Pederson:

"We know it will be an even more exciting season with at least one of the teams talking to a European manufacturer about adapting their body style to the V8 SuperTourer chassis. So it will be more than just a Ford or Holden line-up, the door is open for other brands to appear."

This suggests that the teams understand that they require the "blessing" and support of the manufacturer before they rush out and "clone" say a Bimmer or Merc, so nothing conclusive from that yet.

Another point that has not been discussed is the Holden bodyshell and aero kit that has been utilised on the prototype NZST. One wonders if this has been done with the approval of V8 Supercars, which owns this design?

There is certainly a lot of power playing going on at the moment, and things will probably only get hotter from here on!

Last edited by brown dog; 10 Jun 2011 at 04:25.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2894991)   #206
FraserGT
Rookie

FraserGT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When the taxis in Australia announced their car of the future, there was something about Mercedes saying they cannot do anything on a local level without factory support from Germany. Mercedes apparently have a motorsport policy worldwide that they will not go motor racing unless it is a "factory" effort.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2895136)   #207
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's a shame as the series had pretty good racing over the years and provided something a bit different.

What would be good is for a NZ series that adopts Australian GT rules.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2895395)   #208
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
do we have enough $$$$'s in NZ to run a proper GT series? having two main V8 clases is going to be a struggle.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2895405)   #209
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
kiwi20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserGT View Post
When the taxis in Australia announced their car of the future, there was something about Mercedes saying they cannot do anything on a local level without factory support from Germany. Mercedes apparently have a motorsport policy worldwide that they will not go motor racing unless it is a "factory" effort.
This is true, but it they there is nothing stopping a local dealer in running a team. Only MBAuP will not run it.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 05:05 (Ref:2897747)   #210
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi20 View Post
This is true, but it they there is nothing stopping a local dealer in running a team. Only MBAuP will not run it.
If Merc do have a policy, I'd imagine it'd be a brave local dealer who'd risk getting the big kids in Germany ****y for the sake of racing in V8 Supertourers.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2897768)   #211
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
If Merc do have a policy, I'd imagine it'd be a brave local dealer who'd risk getting the big kids in Germany ****y for the sake of racing in V8 Supertourers.
MBAuP said it was allowed. They would even send the people in right direction (AMG etc) but just no direct financial involvement.
There is already dealers sponsoring motorsport.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:45 (Ref:2897777)   #212
FraserGT
Rookie

FraserGT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi20 View Post
MBAuP said it was allowed. They would even send the people in right direction (AMG etc) but just no direct financial involvement.
There is already dealers sponsoring motorsport.
Which dealers in NZ are currently sponsoring motorsport in NZ with the MB brand?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2897908)   #213
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserGT View Post
Which dealers in NZ are currently sponsoring motorsport in NZ with the MB brand?
I mean dealers in the MBAuP group. Im in Australia, so not sure about NZ dealers.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 23:43 (Ref:2899150)   #214
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane GTA View Post
Would anyone know whether this series will be run under Motorsport NZ sanction, or some other body?

Thanks.
I did hear they're taking out the Larry Bar to please Motorsport NZ.

(oh.. and hi everyone, first post)
Old 15 Jun 2011, 00:11 (Ref:2899155)   #215
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ View Post
I did hear they're taking out the Larry Bar to please Motorsport NZ.

(oh.. and hi everyone, first post)
Why would that 'please' Motorsport NZ? The Supercar CoTF also has no Larry bar and I'm guessing they weren't thinking of the NZ authorities when they did that....actually, why has the CoTF got no Larry Bar?? It seems to have proven it's safety value several times at Bathurst fending off stray Wheels and 'Roos so why eliminate it from the new design? (I'm sure I could find the answer to that if I trawled through the V8SC site but can't be ar$ed when someone will no doubt serve up the answer on here with no work on my part )
Old 15 Jun 2011, 00:42 (Ref:2899160)   #216
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNZ View Post
Why would that 'please' Motorsport NZ? The Supercar CoTF also has no Larry bar and I'm guessing they weren't thinking of the NZ authorities when they did that....actually, why has the CoTF got no Larry Bar?? It seems to have proven it's safety value several times at Bathurst fending off stray Wheels and 'Roos so why eliminate it from the new design? (I'm sure I could find the answer to that if I trawled through the V8SC site but can't be ar$ed when someone will no doubt serve up the answer on here with no work on my part )
The CoTF is moving to Polycarb windscreens rather than glass, which they claim is 250x as strong (hence I guess able to resist any wayward wheels and roos').

I guess it will also give better in car vision for cameras and drivers, which can only be good.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 02:47 (Ref:2899180)   #217
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
The CoTF is moving to Polycarb windscreens rather than glass, which they claim is 250x as strong (hence I guess able to resist any wayward wheels and roos').

I guess it will also give better in car vision for cameras and drivers, which can only be good.
maybe because there are no Roo's in NZ... unless they escape from the zoo
Old 15 Jun 2011, 04:12 (Ref:2899191)   #218
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post

Cheers JC, I knew someone would save me all the work of typing characters into the Google search box , so does this imply that the NZ cars will also have the polycarbonate (sounds like an ingredient for baking cakes) windscreens as they are removing the bar?
Old 15 Jun 2011, 04:13 (Ref:2899193)   #219
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
maybe because there are no Roo's in NZ... unless they escape from the zoo
True...but there is, I'm told, quite a thriving population of wheels
Old 15 Jun 2011, 06:52 (Ref:2899227)   #220
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know the NZV8ST will not be a Motorsport NZ sanctioned race series, although that is not necessarily a bad thing in itself.( the cars will of course have to conform to the NZ rulebook for safety cage homologation etc)

It could be interesting to see how the new NZ V8 stacks up against the NZ Supertourer when the wraps come off it. Sounds like a much more production based car, but details very sketchy at the moment. But looking at the entry list so far for the NZV8ST, if all of the names who have signed up, front up with the cash then it certainly looks like they will have stolen the thunder from the NZV8's! Interesting times ahead for sure
Old 16 Jun 2011, 01:02 (Ref:2899896)   #221
Martin Collins
Rookie

New Zealand
Hampton Downs
Martin Collins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't read much about the fact that this is almost one make racing (with clip on panels), the class/cars seems to be stacking (excuse the pun) up nicely but they will need a big parts box as all controlled class racing has proven to date.
You won't be seeing the straight line power passing and with a top driver line up it will make for some very aggressive driving. Great spectator sport! Not fun when your watching from the team garage.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 01:08 (Ref:2899899)   #222
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Sounds like a much more production based car
like a four door version of ute series? i don't have an issues with that.. as the ute's have proven that you don't necessary need big HP or ultra fast lap times to provided good racing. if NZV8's do go down that road.. i hope they ditch the Supercar style wings.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 02:02 (Ref:2899908)   #223
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
Sounds like a much more production based car, but details very sketchy at the moment.
Last weekend on Gillette Motorsport they referred to it as a 'purpose built' race car or something to that effect, that to me implies non produciton based??
Old 16 Jun 2011, 03:57 (Ref:2899928)   #224
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
As far as I know the NZV8ST will not be a Motorsport NZ sanctioned race series, although that is not necessarily a bad thing in itself.( the cars will of course have to conform to the NZ rulebook for safety cage homologation etc)

It could be interesting to see how the new NZ V8 stacks up against the NZ Supertourer when the wraps come off it. Sounds like a much more production based car, but details very sketchy at the moment. But looking at the entry list so far for the NZV8ST, if all of the names who have signed up, front up with the cash then it certainly looks like they will have stolen the thunder from the NZV8's! Interesting times ahead for sure
When you say "It could be interesting to see how the new NZ V8 stacks up against the NZ Supertourer when the wraps come off it. Sounds like a much more production based car..." you have lost me. I know there was a meeting recently to discuss class rule changes and I don't know what the outcome was. Exactly what is the "new NZ V8"?

Also, the NZST is definitely not a sanctioned series and they can not offer a "New Zealand Championship" title because of that.

Last edited by on_to_it; 16 Jun 2011 at 03:59. Reason: Omission
Old 16 Jun 2011, 04:05 (Ref:2899931)   #225
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNZ View Post
Last weekend on Gillette Motorsport they referred to it as a 'purpose built' race car or something to that effect, that to me implies non produciton based??
Mario, I think maybe you and browndog are talking at crossed purposes. I didn't see the program you mentioned but the NZST is definitely a purpose built racecar (from the inside-out) and I'm guessing they were referring to that. I'd pick browndog is talking about this "new NZ V8" being based on a production car. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Closed Thread