Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:02 (Ref:3693019)   #1
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mercedes second seat?

So, now with Nico's rather shock departure - who is going to take his place at Mercedes?

Button? Well - I mooted that point elsewhere, but I suspect that Jense wants to retire.

Mansell? Hey, he'd probably like to.

Kimi? Moving from Ferrari? Possible? Would he work well with Lewis?
Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:05 (Ref:3693024)   #2
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max Verstappen - Was the agreement toto made on the phone with Jos if he stayed out of the title fight 😂
Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:05 (Ref:3693025)   #3
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Vettel or Alonso and watch the sparks fly next year.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:08 (Ref:3693026)   #4
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I suspect Mercedes will first decide if they want to use Wehrlein, or otherwise Ocon.

If none of those will do for them, they'll probably talk to most or all of: Alonso, Vettel, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Raikkonen, Button, Massa, Hulkenberg, Perez, Grosjean, Sainz, ... until there is no-one left who they think is better than Ocon and Wehrlein.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:14 (Ref:3693029)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I wonder if Lewis will have any input into it at all, obviously he wouldn't want someone who can beat him so I'd better start training ! Hang on I've just got a reminder from DVLA today to renew my driving licence at 70 !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3693038)   #6
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Right I'm going to put my balls in my mouth here and just say it - Anthony Davidson......apparently he still does simulator work for Merc-F1 and is a very established sportscar driver in the WEC for Toyota, and quite a big name in general, coincidentally also a Martin Hines prodigy.......he could do the job
Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:37 (Ref:3693047)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Right I'm going to put my balls in my mouth
Knighty you're obviously fit if you can do that, best get your CV in !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:53 (Ref:3693056)   #8
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd love to see JB make a comeback (from the retirement that never was) but I don't think it will happen.

I was amazed when Alonso went to McLaren given 2007. To be a team-mate of Lewis again would cause me amazement-squared.

Dan the Man would be a good choice, but I imagine Red Bull contracts are pretty tight.

So unfortunately I think it's going to be the boring choice: Pascal Wehrlein.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:58 (Ref:3693059)   #9
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Mercedes is going to pander to LH's wishes and get an inexperienced sub-standard driver. I'm sure that they are going to aim for the top of the heap type drivers like Max, Fernando and Seb
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:04 (Ref:3693062)   #10
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe, just maybe, any shuffling will result in Gasly finally getting a seat?
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3693063)   #11
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You've also got to factor in the fact that the Mercedes probably won't be the best car next year, what with all the rule changes - I suspect the Red Bull will be. That's a guess - but it does look likely, what with the aero changes. So, I'm guessing that both Red Bull drivers will stay put.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3693064)   #12
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
I don't think Mercedes is going to pander to LH's wishes and get an inexperienced sub-standard driver.
WOW.....are you a pshycic or do you have insider info on what lewis wants....

..how on earth do you know lewis wants a sub standard driver?

lewis has only raced against top class drivers.... after all these years I don't think he cares if its a top driver or not!
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3693065)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think so. After Alonso and Rosberg, Lewis wouldn't want anyone at his team that could challenge his #1 driver role status.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:24 (Ref:3693067)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's interesting, it opens up another possibility of one of the GP2 drivers getting in. I'm not going to speculate who will replace him, I'll just wait and see
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:26 (Ref:3693068)   #15
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
I think so. After Alonso and Rosberg, Lewis wouldn't want anyone at his team that could challenge his #1 driver role status.
he doesn't have a number one driver status...it was equal in Mercedes....
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:30 (Ref:3693070)   #16
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well few dnf's, f... ups, and he couldn't catch up with Nico. He is world class, but really as above I do not think he'd want someone like Perez or Grosjean. Pascal is a safe bet.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:43 (Ref:3693081)   #17
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will be interesting to see what happens but 2 people who could end up in the seat are Sainz or Grosjean. Sainz has made noises about wanting to move if he does not get an RB seat soon. It depends on how tight his contract is. As far as I am aware Grosjean has a get out clause so when the music stops....
I wonder how much Mercedes are prepared to pay someone to get out of an existing contract as unless they are going for a Vettel or Alonso it may not cost too much as Rosberg will no longer be on their pay bill.

Regardless I think Toto Wolf's phone is going to be very busy.

For a left of field choice Lotterer?
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:50 (Ref:3693084)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd put a tenner on Button. Mercedes would want an experienced driver alongside Hamilton, I believe. Besides he's a World Champion with the team when it was still called Brawn GP. Then again being Mercedes they'd also want a German driver so I'd place another tenner on Wehrlein even though he's almost a rookie.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:55 (Ref:3693089)   #19
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The top teams don't need the money so I am not sure that even Mercedes can buy drivers out of their contracts, so I am going for Perez..

FI always need the money, and Mercedes let's say wrote off any existing bills (should there be any) and offer 2017 engines for free and a cash sum to buy Perez out -plus FI keeps Perez sponsor money for 2017- VJM will bite their arm off.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 16:01 (Ref:3693092)   #20
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone forgot that Toto manages Bottas?? First of all Mercedes would have a very solid and "compliant" driver. He would be the perfect replacement on the short term to see how it all would pan out. I am sure Toto would agree. He is probably on the phone with him right now.

By the way....."Kimi, don't turn your phone off!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 Dec 2016, 16:18 (Ref:3693095)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
How has Wehrlein gone from a highly-rated junior to an inexperienced sub-standard driver???

It makes no sense for Mercedes to pick anyone but one of their juniors. That's what they're FOR.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3693098)   #22
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Hamilton is a talented driver but a mature one he is not. It makes sense to not pick one of their juniors at this time.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3693100)   #23
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Hamilton is a talented driver but a mature one he is not. It makes sense to not pick one of their juniors at this time.
explain how hes not mature?
Old 2 Dec 2016, 16:42 (Ref:3693101)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Hotheaded would be the first word that springs to mind.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 16:43 (Ref:3693103)   #25
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Hotheaded would be the first word that springs to mind.
how? explain?