Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Sep 2003, 20:16 (Ref:717780)   #1
o_keeler
Rookie

o_keeler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
british gt championship

at the start of the season i could be found shouting really loudly and with much arm waving about how **** the British GT's were going to be this year. I should point out that when i got to snetterton in 2001, i did nearly wet myself with excitement, i am/was a big big fan.

so imagine my suprise when i just got the newsletter! 28 cars in the field!!! thats great! and even better, loads of them are of the bigger GT class.

so wot do all u guys think of the british GT championship then?

R.I.P Lister Storm
Old 13 Sep 2003, 21:17 (Ref:717859)   #2
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
O_K:
I have been following, as well on one can, the British GTs on the internet for as long as I have been reading DSC, or it early versions.
It, at one point, was probably the best gt series going.
I would love to see one race with the Marco, Lister, Ferrari, Detomaso, TVRs etc. with the intake restrictors removed to see just how fast these boys can go.
Bob
Old 13 Sep 2003, 22:05 (Ref:717882)   #3
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been to all but 2 races this year and haven't been disappointed yet. Really looking forward to Brands Hatch on the 28th.

Bob, I'd like to see an all-comers race of those who hoae race in the series since 1999. No restrictors, no weight penalty, would be good to see.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 22:57 (Ref:717910)   #4
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Its a nice thought isn't it! - 28 cars (at least) though is great news and whilst we don't have the big GT class cars in numbers any more the GTO racing has been excellent this season - The biggest surprise though has been the Morgan challenge to Porsche in Cup.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 23:12 (Ref:717923)   #5
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
...The biggest surprise though has been the Morgan challenge to Porsche in Cup.
While I agree with you mate, whouda thought the Morgan would have been able to take on the Porsche and be a threat at some tracks. The Golf has been the surprise of the year for me tho' the team have been competitive in mind and spirit if not always on track.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 08:47 (Ref:718236)   #6
o_keeler
Rookie

ah, the golf.

Front wheel drive saloon car? How bout "no"? Its cars like that that have brought the british GT's into something close to disrepute. It may be funny but come on, its not a real GT, send it over to TOCA, show 'em what a real car is.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 14:46 (Ref:718509)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The British GT championship has really grown this year and I have managed to get to 3 rounds and I have to say I am really impressed lets hope that can keep it up next year.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 19:44 (Ref:718778)   #8
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by o_keeler
It may be funny but come on, its not a real GT, send it over to TOCA, show 'em what a real car is.
Is that a backhanded sort of compliment to my mates car?

(and no I won't go through the whole 'why the Golf is there' saga again - just live with it!)
Old 14 Sep 2003, 19:48 (Ref:718781)   #9
o_keeler
Rookie

no

i love the golf!!! its great! i just dont really think it fits in the British GT's.

I do however think it should go to TOCA and show those over-rated, over-financed people what a touring car should look like, im sure it could give them a good caning.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:42 (Ref:719131)   #10
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
I actually quite like seeing it there.
OK I know it's my friends driving it so I am completely biased etc etc but to see going up Eau Rouge that train of very expensive sportscars, followed by Moslers, TVRs, Morgans, Ferraris and Porsches and in the middle of it a Golf and a Clio - and they were competitive - priceless.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:21 (Ref:719465)   #11
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love Gt racing, and I think that the cars should be just that: GT cars.

It's always good to see variety, I feel that a GT race should be for GT cars, not hatchbacks. Even if the lap times are similar.

Sorry...
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:22 (Ref:719466)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not saying a word about the Golf......
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:31 (Ref:719482)   #13
jase
Veteran

After nearly a whole season of the car being in the championship, do we really have to keep going over this tired subject?? The car is in the championship.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:32 (Ref:719484)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I think some do. It is a perfectly viable subject. I know my views on "this sort of thing" are well known, which is why I said what I did, but if others want to express their views, I'm not about to say they can't.

Having said all this, I accept that we really don't want another "Is it a GT or not a GT" thread.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 13:32 (Ref:719544)   #15
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My mate went to the Spa round and said that the British GT was the worst grid of cars he has ever seen. Take away the Moslers and there wasn't a single car he liked.

I'm thinking that same. I have watched the races on TV and I have struggled to really get into it this year.

Last edited by Speedworx; 15 Sep 2003 at 13:32.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 14:40 (Ref:719588)   #16
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about the TVR's? I must say that i have been quitely impressed with the british championship this year, going from what was all doom and gloom at the begining of the year, to a 28 car strong championship by the end. I haven't had the chance to see any of the races, and maybe i'm biased casue of the excellent DSC coverage, but the organiser seem to have hit on an idea that works. Ok, the cars may not be the fastest in the world, but surely as long as the fans and competiors are happy, and the series keeps drawing in new blood, thats good?
It seems that only two series seem to be growing so well at the moment, namely the Brit GT's and (dare i say it) Grand AM. What have both got in common.... Cheap to run programmes.

Anyway, hope the series continues it's growth into next year, and give our young sportscar hopefull's an arena to shine, so they can be picked up by the Audi's etc of the world

Regards
Ed
Old 15 Sep 2003, 20:51 (Ref:720037)   #17
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i love the GT's. shame that the GT/GT 1 classes folded. wouldnt it be great to get all the GT cars from the last 5 or so years in one race- the Porsche GT1, Lister storm, viper, speed 12, Lm600 evo, Saleens, ultima etc...

in regards to the clio and golf racing who cars? after seeing the flagging grids in the last few years its just great to get back to healthy grids again. if they can stick the pace then let them . and i hear that a V6 alfa is being enered at the coming race at brands.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:17 (Ref:720059)   #18
o_keeler
Rookie

doom and gloom? did anyone go to the snetterton round in 2002? the paddock was like a ghost town, seriously, there was about 10 cars on the grid! it was heart wrenching.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:26 (Ref:720066)   #19
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Its got better and better as the year has drawn on - Sure I'd love the big cars to come back but the bald fact is that the teams can't afford to run them - GTO has had some truly stunning racing this year. If we can see just a few moe copmpetitive cars in both classes in 2004 it could start to look like a new golden age!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:37 (Ref:720075)   #20
o_keeler
Rookie

i think i need help. i do believe i've developed a 700 horsepower fetish, thats why im wary of the golf.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:41 (Ref:720078)   #21
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Its Only 400hp short of that!
Old 16 Sep 2003, 17:49 (Ref:721009)   #22
o_keeler
Rookie

lol
Old 16 Sep 2003, 18:41 (Ref:721061)   #23
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
there was talk of just how much hp they could get out of it - mind blowing....
Old 16 Sep 2003, 19:06 (Ref:721087)   #24
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
I think 300 is pretty good going from a 1.8 turbo!

In all seriousness this team has been an example to many others - whether you agree the Golf is a GT or not there's no arguing with the level of preparation the boys have put into the Golf this season.

I'd love to see them get a result at Brands
Old 16 Sep 2003, 21:14 (Ref:721224)   #25
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
here here