Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Dec 2004, 17:28 (Ref:1172586)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone Given a 48 Hour Deadline

I am just on the BBC Sport site and it saying that Silverstone have been given a 48 hour deadline to agree a deal for next year British GP. More details http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4073569.stm

Last edited by rdjones; 6 Dec 2004 at 17:28. Reason: to add URL
Old 6 Dec 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1172722)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
"If it is done before Thursday, they are on the calendar. If it's not, they're not," Ecclestone said.
Surely bluffing, he wont let this happen, surely?
Old 6 Dec 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1172726)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ofcourse, he will.
He ditched Spa, didn't he?
Old 6 Dec 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1172730)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I spouse.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 20:08 (Ref:1172755)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see there not being a deal done - it's all been cleverly manouvred so that the BRDC won't want to be the ones being blamed for no race taking place.

It seems to be rubber stamping stage.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 00:28 (Ref:1172970)   #6
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like i said all along!
Silverstone is NOT even remotely definite.How is it that bernie fooled everyone (including the teams) into thinking silvertone would go ahead??!...when it was him that's preventing it from happening all along

Bernie is insisting that the BRDC cough up several million more $ or there is no race (even though bernie has allready been paid for the race for several years in advance and the BRDC are losing on the deal allready...)

Anybody still wanna argue that bernie is anything but scum?
Old 7 Dec 2004, 00:35 (Ref:1172973)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is about time they sorted it one way or another. If only to remove the tedium.

The situation has been clear for some time and hasn't changed (even when this story 'broke' over the last couple of 'deadlines').
Old 7 Dec 2004, 00:37 (Ref:1172975)   #8
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think there is an argument there.

Im sick of F1... its all too much politics and BS.

We need to assure races for countries, not circuits.

Britian, France, Italy, Belgium, Germany should all be assured 1 f1 race per season due to the fact that f1 wouldnt be f1 without them.

If Bernie thinks we are gonna watch 17 Bahraini Gp's.... he has another thing coming.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 06:19 (Ref:1173082)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's foolish for anybody to throw the blame at Bernie or at the circuit solely. Bernie hasnt been helpful to retain Silverstone, but Silverstone isn't helping themselves either. And i'm kinda tired of hearing how a country DESERVES F1. Yes, F1's heritage and history traces back to them, and while it is nice to have those roots kept (i for one do think F1 needs to maintain its core heritage)...it doesn't mean that a country can use it to justify it's lack of enthusiam to improve their circuit/promote their event/etc etc. In fact, such countries should show even greater leadership in bringing the standards of F1 up and not be shown the way by upcoming venues.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 07:40 (Ref:1173112)   #10
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
......it doesn't mean that a country can use it to justify it's lack of enthusiam to improve their circuit/promote their event/etc etc. In fact, such countries should show even greater leadership in bringing the standards of F1 up and not be shown the way by upcoming venues.
Well silverstone has said on many occasions it will update its pits, but when you have bernie wanting THAT money so he can hold a GP, how are you going to update ??? shirt buttons ??? Yes Silverstone needs updating and a re think of its promotion, hell new grandstands wouldnt go a miss. But As bernie is taking all the money and they are left with little or no money, to update. Also there are worse tracks than Silverstone, but i dont hear bernie complaining about them.

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 7 Dec 2004 at 07:41.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 07:48 (Ref:1173118)   #11
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
San Marino come to mind anyone ?
Old 7 Dec 2004, 08:25 (Ref:1173144)   #12
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my point exactly jason.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 08:41 (Ref:1173162)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like i've said, no country deserves a GP based solely on the fact that they have been around since forever. And my response is to "Britian, France, Italy, Belgium, Germany should all be assured 1 f1 race per season due to the fact that f1 wouldnt be f1 without them". It's not just Silverstone...Imola, Hockenheim, Monza all should continuously improve.

It seems like some just refuse to accept any form of less than positive comments on Silverstone. I for one think that Silverstone should be given a place. And considering that i don't turn up at the British GP, San Marino GP, etc often...the facilities in these classic, irregardless how great/bad, doesn't affect me at all. I don't enjoy the Hi-tech air-conditioned media room in Shanghai, the huge pit space in Bahrain, etc...

But it is pitiful if fans try to keep justifying Silverstone with comments such as "there are worse circuits". Sure..there will always be Hungary, Brazil, Imola around to make Silverstone look good...but the day we try to excuse Silverstone, supposedly the centre of motorsports/F1, with the sorry state circuits instead of pegging it with the best around, is the day where Silverstone will continue its slide downwards.

F1 should retain their core circuits like Monza/Silverstone...and similarly, those circuits being the "essence" of F1, should show circuits around the world the way to circuit-excellence.

In case people still fail to understand, what i want is not for the removal of Silverstone. But instead, what i want is that Monza/Silverstone/Spa being the ROLE MODEL circuit in the world and establish its place in F1 for good. It's unfortunate if tracks with character/history are lost to mickey-mouse tracks.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 08:53 (Ref:1173167)   #14
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to remember that 4 grands prix are "set in stone" and as such are guaranteed to take place anually. They are Britain, France, Italy and Monaco.

It is the country that is guaranteed not the circuit so Silverstone could lose the GP but only if another circuit is capable of taking it's place.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 11:27 (Ref:1173315)   #15
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
GTR i see what your saying, but if bernie already has money for the gp till 2007 (thus paid for by octagon), and he is still asking for money, would you pay it ? why would anyone forkout cash twice ??? yes silverstones facilities are less than amazing, but they have done a great job improving road sections so that there is less congestion, and from what i understood they were going to build a new pit complex for 2005/06. But if bernie is asking for money and a company like the BDRC the money will come out of the funds raised for that, and further more i think the silverstone track is very good and is very entertaining, unlike hungary and others you have pointed out, also i dont belive imola should have a gp or Nurburgring, those countries already have an event, and these are the places where spectators at the circuit fell from 2003-2004, as silverstone raised from 2003-2004. my problem is not weather silverstone is worthy or not, its the fact bernie is asking for money twice thats my problem.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1175149)   #16
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ilike Silverstone as a track always have. when they went to Baharain( whatever) I thought it looked like a simulation track.Built in the sandhills. boring. and Shanghi same.So guys I hope Silverstone gets what it needs .
Old 9 Dec 2004, 21:26 (Ref:1175644)   #17
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard on our news this morning that Silverstone is going ahead with F1. what ever happened happened. Terrific.now you guys will be happy?.some one must have seen the light .