Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1111065)   #1
Matt_S
Racer

England
Matt_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turkington to VX Racing

From www.crash.net

Colin Turkington has been confirmed as driving for VX Racing next season alongside 2003 champion Yvan Muller.

The squad has announced that Ulsterman, Turkington, will line up alongside former BTCC champion Yvan Muller, who remains with the team, despite the man himself being unclear about this at the end of season event at Donington Park.

Turkington has been in the British Touring Car Championship in 2002 when he debuted with the Team Atomic Kitten MGs. A spell in 2003 as a works MG driver and this season driving the Indendent WSR-run MG has shown Turkington's skill and commitment in the series.

Turkington replaces the World Touring Car Championship-bound, and new BTCC champion, James Thompson, with whom Turkington was, appropriately battling on the track on more than one occasion at last weekend's Donington finale to the season.

"It's great for VX Racing to have a youngster like Colin coming to the team," says Stuart Harris, VX Racing's brand manager. "He has been part of the BTCC for a few years now and has proved himself as a driver with the skill and ability to win races. Vauxhall is not only focused on going out to win the championship but also with developing up and coming talent. With James going, it left an opportunity for another driver, and who better than Colin? He has already shown great promise on track."

Turkington is delighted at securing the coveted drive in the second VX Racing Vauxhall Astra Coupe, "This is a fantastic opportunity for me" says the 22 year-old. "I am going to a team that has a proven record of success in the BTCC, and the backing of Vauxhall. I can't wait to get in the car! Hopefully I can continue the level of success VX Racing is experiencing. It will be great to drive alongside Yvan."

No word on any third car yet from VX Racing, though there are plenty of drivers who would like to be there.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1111080)   #2
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting development, but not wholly unexpected with ex Vauxhall man John Cleland frequently praising Colin on his driving. I'm pleased that a real talent has got the drive, someone with a good level of aggression, having Reid as his team mate has really helped that develop!

Maybe he can be next season's champion?
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:38 (Ref:1111134)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are 888 building Vectras any time soon?
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1111156)   #4
Matt_S
Racer

England
Matt_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd expect the new Astra, not the Vectra next season
Old 30 Sep 2004, 13:44 (Ref:1111278)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The 2004-spec Astras are already for sale in Autosport.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1111287)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is hardly surprisign, and great news for Colin, who should have a reasonable chance of the title next year if he can adjust to the car, having driven only MGs thus far. It's a shame for WSR to lose their star asset, but hopefully the Sureterm money will help them put a package together for 2005.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 16:23 (Ref:1111418)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done to Colin, thoroughly deserved.

We can hope WSR/MG will get a budget together for Reid and another quality driver.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1111434)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a great opportunity for a guy like Colin. One of the biggest talents on the track and a really chatty guy off it.

Personally, I'm dissapointed MG couldn't offer him an opportunity like VXR has. Perhaps for the first time in a few years I shall be cheering on a Vauxhall..
Old 30 Sep 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1111575)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not really suprise at this news, there have been rumours around for week's. This is a great move for Colin, I think he will do really well next year.

But I have to agree with TL, I am bit dissapointed that MG couldn't offer him a simaller deal to VXR. The question has to be asked where does this news leave the MG campign for next year?
Old 30 Sep 2004, 19:00 (Ref:1111610)   #10
mystery racer
Rookie

mystery racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only echo what's been said above, it's a great opportunity for Colin.

Whilst MG decide what to do for next year, VX probably had the deal on the table and were pressing Colin for an answer. Can't blame him then really!

So, the question is, who will replace him at WSR (possibly MG) next year? With talk of some SEAT Cupra drivers (on another forum) being entertained by WSR at Donington, and a few of the guys from this years BTCC looking for drives, I wonder how it wil all pan out?

Either way, I just want to see somebody quick in the car!
Old 30 Sep 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1111653)   #11
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm happy the Colin is at VX racing as well. Although as an MG supporter I am slightly disappointed I can understand the withotu MG/WSR being able to confirm anything for next year when VX come knocking there is only one option you can take. Maybe Howell will come back, he and Colin where both fast in the Team Atomic Kitten cars. Howell & Reid maybe a third MG would be good and I think they could really take the fight to VX. Be good to see the same level of racing as this year. Hopefully CT wins championship and MG win constuctors!