Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 24 Aug 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3293528)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2013 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma

Someone needed to start this thread, so here we go.

Franchitti fastest in final practice.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109458
Old 25 Aug 2013, 02:39 (Ref:3293622)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gannassi 1 - 2.

http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/...%20Results.pdf
Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3293911)   #3
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Dixon just got royally screwed by Race Control.
What a ridiculous decision!

Can someone please sack Mr. Barfield?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 25 Aug 2013 at 23:16.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:17 (Ref:3293915)   #4
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Dixon just got royally screwed by Race Control.
What a ridiculous decision!

Can someone please sack Mr. Barfield?
Sorry about editing your post, my mistake.

Is the race still on?
Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:20 (Ref:3293919)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's done. Dixon got hosed.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:21 (Ref:3293920)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Bummer, I came home late and couldn't get a feed.

Who won? What happened with Dixon?
Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:32 (Ref:3293928)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Bummer, I came home late and couldn't get a feed.

Who won? What happened with Dixon?
Power. Good for him; it's been a drought.

Best way to describe is to let someone else describe:

Quote:
Dixon and Power were running 1-2 when they pitted on Lap 64, with Power's stall directly in front of Dixon's. As Dixon's No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car made its break, it clipped the right-rear tire carried by Penske crew member Travis Law, which knocked him into airjack man Justin Bosch. Both were uninjured.
Race Control issued the penalty after multiple video views. Race director Beaux Barfield said Dixon's car crossed over the edge of Power's pit box. "Ultimately, we have a duty to protect everybody in pit lane," he said.
Dixon, obviously, didn't agree. In the final laps, he charged from 20th to 15th and heads to Baltimore 39 points behind Castroneves, who finished seventh. Dixon picked up two bonus points for leading the most laps (27).
"It's probably the most blatant thing I've seen in a long time. I had a straight line and he walked into us. Pretty annoyed with that; we had a strong car all day."
from here:
http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/08/...Prix-of-Sonoma
Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3293930)   #8
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a shame, that'll pretty much sew up the title for Helio. Dixon will have to gain 10 points per race now, and he's already finished behind Helio the last 2 races.

I would have thought stewards would want a more exciting title battle - guess not, they want Helio winning it.

The pit lane incident was too marginal to make a decision like that and cost Dixon the win. It should have at least gone to a post-race review and time penalty.

I'm absolutely disgusted in Indycar at the moment.

Furthermore, what's with all the incidents and yellows? It's ridiculous. You've got one car completely off track between two tyre walls, and they throw a SC?!

And some of these drivers to learn how to race and stop putting their front wing inside another car with no chance at all of actually passing.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:41 (Ref:3293933)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Power. Good for him; it's been a drought.

Best way to describe is to let someone else describe:

from here:
http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/08/...Prix-of-Sonoma
Thanks, I'll need to watch that incident with Dixon.

Indeed, it has been a drought. Congrats.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 01:32 (Ref:3293959)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Great win by Power, I'm glad that he's back to the top.

Dixon hit a mechanic who was inside his box. It doesn't matter which way he was walking (it was towards the wall BTW), Dixon should have steered much more to the right. I totally agree with the penalty.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3293964)   #11
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
What a shame, that'll pretty much sew up the title for Helio.
Still 3 races to go & Helio hasnt had a dn'f this season yet

Good to see Power get a win, been a while for him... Dixon was very unlucky, dont need that sort of luck when running for a title - fingers crossed for him in the last 3 rounds. Good to see Wilson run well too
Old 26 Aug 2013, 04:23 (Ref:3293986)   #12
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a huge Will Power fan and not so much of Ganassi/Dixon.
Dixon dominated the whole race and got robbed. It really soured the win for Power.
There was no reason for the tire carrier to hold the tire at his side, knowing Dixon was pulling out from the next stall. I think he did it so Dixon would have to turn sharper out of the box and he ended up getting knocked down for it.
It was obviously a race out of the pits between Power and Dixon and the tire carrier thought it would be wise to make himself as wide as possible in front of an accelerating open wheel racecar.
Aside from that I think there was more contact at this race than the NASCAR Bristol race. Castroneves got knocked around about half a dozen times.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 04:44 (Ref:3293997)   #13
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely, what a joke! And I am no fan of Ganassi. Even worse it gives twinkle toes the title. It is a shame to see officials ruining the title. Where was Dixon supposed to go? Lanky, your assessment is spot on IMO.

PS. Viso needs to get parked.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 05:07 (Ref:3294008)   #14
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Sounds as though the officials are doing some of their own series engineering....

I haven't seen what happened in detail but if its another decision that really means the outcome of the series is affected by decisions that are not the result of competitive on track race incidents they can all save themselves some trouble and put the series in a box at the end of the year and heave it into storage.

F1 is bad enough for political correctness. If Indy car is going to be adjudicated like this its not surprising it has low ratings.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 06:00 (Ref:3294011)   #15
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Overrated IRL Loyal veteren wins the 500 and Fakeio is gifted the championship. Indianapolis is smiling right now.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 06:39 (Ref:3294019)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What a shame, that'll pretty much sew up the title for Helio. Dixon will have to gain 10 points per race now, and he's already finished behind Helio the last 2 races.

I would have thought stewards would want a more exciting title battle - guess not, they want Helio winning it.

Yes they interfered with it but now I think they will reap what they have sown. I wanted Indycar to succeed more than anything but now I simply don't think they deserve it at all.

The pit lane incident was too marginal to make a decision like that and cost Dixon the win. It should have at least gone to a post-race review and time penalty.

Absolutely. Basic justice would have enabled him to at least respond with a reasonable argument and let the race be run. At least then you wouldn't have created a situation where you had no way back but that is what they have done. I agree with you. Indycar management is disgusting. Absolutely atrocious.

Furthermore, what's with all the incidents and yellows? It's ridiculous. You've got one car completely off track between two tyre walls, and they throw a SC?!

And some of these drivers to learn how to race and stop putting their front wing inside another car with no chance at all of actually passing.
I am afraid for Indy car. I can't see any future for this type of management team at all.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 06:47 (Ref:3294022)   #17
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stop it at 3:44
Look at the distance between the cars...plenty.
Then watch how close the crewman is to Power's car...not far.
Then watch the back end step out as Dixie nails it...more that a little.
You can see the burnout trail after the fact.
If you take off like that in tight quarters and hit something, it's your fault.

If you hit anything in the pits, it has to be a "death penalty" or drivers will hit stuff so long as they don't ruin their race. It's not cool to run over an air hose, even a little. Somebody will do it more than a little, and you have nitro bottles flying.

If Power wasn't even in his box, and the tires were laid out for his pit stop with no crew over the wall, Dixon was far enough over to have probably hit the tire where it sat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDdn6...eature=mh_lolz
Old 26 Aug 2013, 07:04 (Ref:3294026)   #18
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
There was no reason for the tire carrier to hold the tire at his side, knowing Dixon was pulling out from the next stall. I think he did it so Dixon would have to turn sharper out of the box and he ended up getting knocked down for it.
It was obviously a race out of the pits between Power and Dixon and the tire carrier thought it would be wise to make himself as wide as possible in front of an accelerating open wheel racecar.
Thats exactly how I saw it. Watch the video, taking note at how casual the mech was walking back, and hanging the tire out on his side to make himself as wide as possible. Also note the angle his head was at, he was looking almost directly at Dixons car the whole time. It was quite blatant. Stupid bugger was lucky he wasn't hurt badly.

As Mike Hull said, it does set an interesting precedent. Perhaps Ganassi could send some of Dixons crew down to stand in front of the oppositions cars during the pitstops in the next few races to gain him track position?

Absolutley gutted for Dixon, he was robbed. The officials are a joke.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 07:10 (Ref:3294029)   #19
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope.
Back it up, Dixon would have hit the crewman and possibly Power's car while it was still being serviced. The white lines and the burnout tells the whole story.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 07:26 (Ref:3294033)   #20
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

geez a bit harsh, but that's what you get when you drive into somebody else!

no wonder Indycars are going down hill, glad I didn't watch the race, it's all fixed.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 07:44 (Ref:3294042)   #21
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Nope.
Back it up, Dixon would have hit the crewman and possibly Power's car while it was still being serviced. The white lines and the burnout tells the whole story.
nope. Freezeframe at 3.45. Powers car still stationary. Dixon has moved off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDdn6...eature=mh_lolz

Overhead shot tells the story. Dixon was well clear of everyone and everything except the stray muppet with wheel.

I have worked on pit crews for many years. You are very aware of your environment in pitlane. If you are in a spot of potential danger, such as RR of these cars, you will be quite aware of the car behind leaving, and would pay extra attention to this. The fact that the muppet carrying the wheel was facing Dixons car as he was hit makes it quite obvious to me that he did it deliberately. Probably didn't count on getting hit, just trying to slow Dixon down to give Power the jump. Muppet.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 08:31 (Ref:3294069)   #22
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Well mate, we'll have to agree to disagree.
And I have changed right rear, only they called it CART back then.
Which don't mean ****.

If you watch Dixon's line, where he crosses the intersection of the (Nascar) pit box painted lines, he would have hit the tire if it had still been on the ground. He would have hit the crewman if he had still been changing the wheel.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 10:50 (Ref:3294121)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Having looked at this several times, I think Dixon was a little too hasty getting out of the pit box. The fact the tyre changer was no longer in position didn't help and Dixon probably thought he had more room than he did, though the situation wasn't helped by the tyre changer hanging the tyre out like he did. If he had still been changing the tyre, I'm pretty sure Dixon would have given him a wider birth; rather harsh.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 12:07 (Ref:3294147)   #24
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really annoyed about this one. Yes, I'm happy that Power's finally broken his winless streak, but not like this!

I guess I've seen worse penalties, but that guy really did run into Dixon, it's hardly his fault that the mechanic fell over as a result.

Also, Kimball drove the wrong way around the track while there were cars heading right for him. Slightly dangerous? If he'd just waited until they passed then it probably would have stayed green and he wouldn't lose a lap.

What happened with Saavedra in the end? My recorder taped half an hour of baseball at the start of the program and then cut off during the last lap.

Very hard to hear the commentators today. Have they tried turning down the sound from the track?
Old 26 Aug 2013, 14:16 (Ref:3294203)   #25
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah....

The Monday Morning officiating is great, isn't it?

Sorry, but the call was just, and fair. This overhead view CLEARLY shows Dixon cutting across Power's pit stall. The ugly greenish line is the "border" between pit stalls.

Whether you agree with the call or not, Dixon made the <expletive deleted> move by not expressing any concern for the guy he knocked down, especially on nearly national cable TV in front of a couple thousand viewers.
(I apologize if I dripped any sarcasm on anyone)

I do believe that there was pit stall gamesmanship taking place. Power does look to be pitting shallow, forcing Dixon to make a sharper turn to exit. It looks like Dixon was set up to stop deep in his stall, too.