Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Jun 2016, 07:08 (Ref:3655176)   #51
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Lots of damaged cars Mike and a few unhappy drivers . The driving standards will have to be addressed straight away . One driver did get excluded but that does not help poor chap with badly damaged MGB . Brian got bashed as well . Thankfully Spa 6 hour driving standards are much better . There was a speed difference in some of the modern cars against our pre 65 , but no excuses some of the driving was appalling .I am sure the organisers will get this sorted and I for one will be back next year .
Old 26 Jun 2016, 16:19 (Ref:3655212)   #52
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Trying to interpret live timing, looks like an SC on first lap (maybe), but circuit went green again around lap 4. Must be dry by lap times!

Sadly looks like the Marcos has stopped on track somewhere, as now several laps down but not in pits. Brian Lambert's MGB (Delta sharing) is in a line of similar cars, so should be having a good dice.....
Electrical problem Mike.Shame as Allen and Chris are nicely matched drivers who use racecraft as well as the throttle.
Old 26 Jun 2016, 16:38 (Ref:3655216)   #53
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes Tel . It was a race craft battery that failed .😀😀😀
Old 26 Jun 2016, 19:52 (Ref:3655273)   #54
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its never the battery
Apparently the battery tree I found one year isnt producing fruit yet Iain.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 01:33 (Ref:3655315)   #55
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see some friendly faces in the 3hrs, haven't bumped into Mr Mallet for ages and was amazed to see Mr Rowley sat in a deck chair in the evening sun - thought he was always running around!

Joe's car was on Avons, we ran Dunlops as that's all I had to hand. Someone kindly told me that I could get X secs per lap on Avons and save y£££ in the process but as I already had the Dunlops I struggled with the cash part of the equation.

As Mike observed we just ran a trouble free endurance run, slowly but surely moving up the leaderboard to a solid 11th in pre '65 just behind the other Grantura. We were very happy with that.

I think we won the notional tenthers cup for being there at the end too!
Old 27 Jun 2016, 05:20 (Ref:3655338)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup it was fun. We got the B going well and I confess I've never enjoyed it more than my stint on Saturday. Well done Dave and John and of course Simon H.

The safety car came out due to a coming together at La Source between two Mustangs one of which was on its roof! I found the driving to be a bit iffy at times. Loads of Porches but many were driven erratically. And a few of the larger cars would cut you off as soon as they passed.

Ken was going well when (we think) the oil pump drive broke and he pulled of at Radillon. Same lap as Iain.

First time out for nearly 4 years so not too unhappy.

Big thanks to Pieter@legendary-circuits.eu and his wife Anne Marie for the entry and for the hospitality. Great to see Les Blackburn, Dave Thomas, Iain, Joe Ward, Simon, and loads of old faces from the 6 hrs events.

I like this meeting but they do need to improve driving standards. I think perhaps it was because many were new to the place. I didn't see too many issues related to tyre differences though.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 05:37 (Ref:3655340)   #57
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Great result Dave. You get my vote for the 'Tenthers Cup'! Always interesting to look at the fastest lap time for each car in the results- the ones that have had a steady reliable run always stand out.

Out of interest, what was the situation with refuelling? Think Gilbert could just about do 3hrs if brimmed at start......

Yes, Avons default choice for the 6hr as they last longer, and on most cars will give more grip- especially in the wet. The way the Dunlop situation is going, maybe ZZs will be allowed by more organisers next season..... Personally, except for Spa 6 I'd rather run on D'lop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
Good to see some friendly faces in the 3hrs, haven't bumped into Mr Mallet for ages and was amazed to see Mr Rowley sat in a deck chair in the evening sun - thought he was always running around!

Joe's car was on Avons, we ran Dunlops as that's all I had to hand. Someone kindly told me that I could get X secs per lap on Avons and save y£££ in the process but as I already had the Dunlops I struggled with the cash part of the equation.

As Mike observed we just ran a trouble free endurance run, slowly but surely moving up the leaderboard to a solid 11th in pre '65 just behind the other Grantura. We were very happy with that.

I think we won the notional tenthers cup for being there at the end too!
Old 27 Jun 2016, 06:24 (Ref:3655343)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Peter, sorry to hear about your retirement and the reason. If it was oil pump drive failure, would be interesting to know if it is an original part or a modern 'recreation'. The failure seems to be more common than would expect nowadays on B series engines. On advice from a couple of experienced (old ) engine people both my engines are fitted with used original oil pumps, rather than repro stuff.

Good to know that most enjoyed the race, despite criticism of some driving standards.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 08:53 (Ref:3655356)   #59
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike,

Great result for Simon - I guess I'd better hand that tenthers cup over to him - curses outdone by talent again!

We would have needed to refuel had the race ran a full 3 hrs at full chat. Due to some delays in starting it was already 20 mins or so short and then the safety car period played into our hands. We gambled on making it without a stop and it paid off. The gauge says empty so I think we've about 6L left.

Rain started to come down in the last 10 mins which certainly made it slippery on the Dunlops
Old 27 Jun 2016, 11:15 (Ref:3655370)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Didn't realise the race was short of 3hrs. That would definitely help!

Think you still get the award- it's subject to a completely unfathomable coefficient of performance calculation, like some organisers use......
Old 27 Jun 2016, 12:04 (Ref:3655379)   #61
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I needed a new watch
Old 30 Jun 2016, 13:25 (Ref:3655935)   #62
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just received an e mail from Ken C. It shows him getting into the MG and starting it this morning! Apparently the heel on the points broke off! It's still in the race shuttle.

Sooo, ready for another event then.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 15:28 (Ref:3655956)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Wow, that's a cheaper repair than an oil pump.....
Old 30 Jun 2016, 17:55 (Ref:3655984)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed. And it means the car is ready to go. Hmm.