Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Jan 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1210147)   #1
PhilChicken
Rookie

PhilChicken should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTRDA "Wild Tracks" Championship

I see that the dates for the BTRDA Clubmans Championship have been announced.

Eight events in total four at Wildtracks. No Pembry, No Knock Hill, No Lyden.

Those of you who have raced at Wildtracks will know you can’t get out of second gear, and a full race lasts about 3mins or less. Compared to other circuits it’s tight, short and very difficult to pass. Personally it’s not my favourite.

A new circuit is a good move but I think the BTRDA are chopping some great rounds in favour of wildtracks. If this is being done on cost grounds, (I assume wild tracks is a cheaper venue to hire) will this cost saving be passed on to the drivers in the form of cheaper entry fees?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1210152)   #2
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See what you mean Phil, four rounds at Wildtracks, but it is only a provisional calander.
The only time the BRDA and the BTRDA come together is at Angelsey.
They have opened the championship up to 4 star drivers and are going to allow 5 star drivers and supercars to compete but not to score points.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1210154)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
It does seem a bit strange to have so many rounds at one circuit doesn't it? I guess you're right about the circuit hire costs (that would explain the absence of brands for a start).

Another consideration may be the geogrpahic locations of the 'missing' circuits - they are the extreme journeys for most people, keeping it more central in theory reduces travelling time and cost?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1210177)   #4
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talk about disapointed with the BTRDA dates. I was told at the Autosport Show that the BRDA would rather the older stockhatches did not enter the BRxC events and stuck to the clubman series, I was a bit deflated but thought OK, the BTRDA championship would be strong this year, lots of cars good racing etc. Now i've seen the calendar I'm not keen. No Lydden & four at Wildtracks.
I might just not bother, anybody want to buy a slightly used stockhatch.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1210224)   #5
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Very disappointing! After July it effectively becomes a Wildtracks series. How is that a national championship?

If clubmen are going to be offered this sort of programme I can't see the BTRDA series being over subscribed! If the BRDA are not really interested in clubmen's rallycross it might be better if they handed over the BTRDA series to those that are. If the BRDA are interested I hope they'll prove it by offering something better than this! I heard they were having difficulties confirming dates so hopefully they'll be some changes...

Any news from the MDA boys?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1210335)   #6
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well lets look on the brighter side..
Anglesey is back on the menu We also have a new track with wildtracks to play at and we at least now have some confirmed race dates.

Its a shame pembrey, knockhill, lydden and brands are not on the list like last year as these where cracking venues. But the calender does seem to have a good split of 4 northern events and 4 southern events (even just 1 other venue would have been nice).

Time to warm up those tires and get ready to race.

simon

Last edited by sihorton; 26 Jan 2005 at 13:58.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1210350)   #7
DarrenG
Rookie

DarrenG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

By removing Lydden and Brands from the list it's as if the BTRDA championship is now a 3rd class affair. Due to that underwhelming list of tracks I can't imagine we will bother doing a single BTRDA round this year.

First the winter series fails and now they have effectively killed off the BTRDA championship. I wonder what the future has in store for rallycross.

Going to the AGM is pointless, it would seem the only way to get anything done is if people vote with their feet and don't bother racing. Wonder how many £200 entry fees they can afford to lose before they listen?

To be honest with you I really can't see us racing at all this year unless it's a one off meet at Brands or Lydden.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1210395)   #8
Queen
Veteran

England
North Lincolnshire
Queen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridQueen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to say I am suprised to see 4 Wild Tracks. We will have to wait and see if there are any changes. As calenders do have a habit of changing. On anther note how is the car building going in all classes?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1210430)   #9
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenG
By removing Lydden and Brands from the list it's as if the BTRDA championship is now a 3rd class affair...
Yes, for me these are the real 'classics' of the sport. Its rather like F1 dropping Monaco, Spa and Silverstone and then having four events at the Hungaroring!

If it really is difficult to get track bookings at the right price perhaps we need to start looking at some old venues? Mallory has new owners, there is talk of the Aintree club circuit being revived... both used to hold rallycross in the dim and distant past. Dunno - maybe worth thinking about?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1210432)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone have a map of the rallycross circuit used at Mallory?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1210477)   #11
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
I have to say I am suprised to see 4 Wild Tracks. We will have to wait and see if there are any changes. As calenders do have a habit of changing. On anther note how is the car building going in all classes?
Not bad queeny, my new metro gti should be hopefully be finished by mid next week. I have to say it's looking very good and we have taken a lot of care in the prep work so should "fingers crossed" we should have more relighability than last years 205 gti. Got a few small jobs to finish off this week like mudflaps, bleeding brakes etc, and then pick up the tyres and windows this weekend, before getting all the graphics put on it next week.

With the cancelled blyton, I think I might book myself onto a trackday somewhere for a bit of a shakedown.

I have no idea how good it will be, but there is only one way to find out..

Everybody else got there cars nearly ready?

simon
Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1210491)   #12
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
I spy richard horton doing some work..

a few other pic's from the work in progress

Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1210508)   #13
Queen
Veteran

England
North Lincolnshire
Queen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridQueen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad to hear and see it Si. Keep up the good work. Good to see some thing positive up here.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1210539)   #14
Mr Atspeed JR
Rookie

Mr Atspeed JR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has probably been said already somewhere else. does anyone know how much entry fees are gonna be for the (we're gonna kill rallycross) BRDA rounds?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1210544)   #15
chris cake
Racer

England
LYDDEN HILL
chris cake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian Are You Going To The Agm?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1210572)   #16
BRUMBRUM
Rookie

BRUMBRUM has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atspeed JR
This has probably been said already somewhere else. does anyone know how much entry fees are gonna be for the (we're gonna kill rallycross) BRDA rounds?
I first heard at Mondello Park last year that the entry fee's were going up per class by around £25.

I have since heard during the Autosport show and after that since the new management have been brought in fee's will go up even more...!! although nothing official from BRDA as per usual!!
Supercars £300
Super Modified £250
Stockhatch and Juniors £200

Maybe, Just maybe even more!!!!!!!!!!

Better options out there £150 per entry for RSS and around £70 for the all rounders championship for Minicross and Stockhatch run by the MDA in which there first round is March 6th. They will also have 2 events at Blyton and 1 event at Wildtracks. This is in addition to hillclimbs and sprints.

I know what I would choose!!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1210589)   #17
Mr Atspeed JR
Rookie

Mr Atspeed JR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no chris i wont be. i can think of much more important and useful things to do. like poke my eyes out wiv a sharp stick!! lol.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1210958)   #18
chris cake
Racer

England
LYDDEN HILL
chris cake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atspeed JR
no chris i wont be. i can think of much more important and useful things to do. like poke my eyes out wiv a sharp stick!! lol.
YER I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL , BUT EVERY BODY IF THEY CAN ,SHOULD GO
EVEN IF IT IS ONLY TO LISSEN TO WOT THEY SAY FOR THEM SELVES!
THEN YOU CAN POKE THEM WITH A SHARP STICK
I AM NOT GOING TO DINNER AS I CA'NT CLAP FOR NON CHAMPIONS
Old 27 Jan 2005, 09:29 (Ref:1211009)   #19
Matti Alamaki
Racer

Matti Alamaki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris cake
YER I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL , BUT EVERY BODY IF THEY CAN ,SHOULD GO
EVEN IF IT IS ONLY TO LISSEN TO WOT THEY SAY FOR THEM SELVES!
THEN YOU CAN POKE THEM WITH A SHARP STICK
I AM NOT GOING TO DINNER AS I CA'NT CLAP FOR NON CHAMPIONS
In fairness all champions were proven to be worthy ones in the end. Bitter pill for lots of people out there but, fact.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 09:31 (Ref:1211013)   #20
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well heres my opinion.

If you as drivers had shown more commitment to the BTRDA Championship last year at the events at Knockhill and Pembrey, where entries were Very low, maybe you might have gone back again this year. Knockhill couldnt have been to impressed with thirty cars for a full days racing.

I know some of you supported the whole championship and thank you but others didnt.

Looking forward to a fun season
Old 27 Jan 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1211030)   #21
DarrenG
Rookie

DarrenG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUMBRUM
I have since heard during the Autosport show and after that since the new management have been brought in fee's will go up even more...!! although nothing official from BRDA as per usual!!
Supercars £300
Super Modified £250

£250 to race, the BRDA obviously believe their own rubbish about becoming as big as the BTCC. I can just see Vicky Butler-Henderson commentating on a BRDA round coming from Blighton in the rain (March 2004 was the worst racing we have ever been too) with about 6 paying spectators.

To put these fees in some sort of perspective a whole seasons 750 Motor Club Stock Hatch racing costs £1850. This covers 15 rounds and you get to race at tracks such as Silverstone, Brands, Donington and Oulton Park.

Maybe the increase in fees is to try and help get rid of the people they see as undesirables.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1211077)   #22
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUMBRUM

Supercars £300
Super Modified £250

If this is true its yet another kick in the teeth for rallycross. Fees for stock hatch have already gone up by around 50% over the last couple of seasons. Inflation is running at 3%. I don't know what is going on...

If this is what 'commercial management' does we don't need it, thanks. The BRDA operate in a competitive marketplace. If rallycross isn't cost effective a lot of people with just do track days, circuit racing or rallying instead. £200-£300 for around 10 minutes competitive track time isn't value for money motorsport.

Commercial management is meant to bring money into the sport and reduce its costs - not the other way round.

Last edited by leonidas; 27 Jan 2005 at 10:44.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1211080)   #23
Matti Alamaki
Racer

Matti Alamaki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is all total speculation at the moment.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1211094)   #24
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti Alamaki
This is all total speculation at the moment.
Come on guys as Matti says it is all speculation.
Lets wait until after the AGM on Saturday and hear what has to be said before we start reacting to what at the moment could be just hearsay. If it proves to be correct then by all means have a go.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1211119)   #25
Queen
Veteran

England
North Lincolnshire
Well said boys.