Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Apr 2000, 17:27 (Ref:15621)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have just now finished reading a biography of Scottish World Champion driver Jimmy Clark. I consider this a must read book. The book is written by Claek and his close friend Ian Scott Watson. Clark's style is easy to read and his words invoke visions of motor racing in the 1960s. The biography was written before Clark's untimely death. In the end there is a listing of every single race win Clark accomplished, from Saloon club racing through the Indy 500 and his World Driving Championships. Clark does not portray himself as some young dashing figure of romantic proportions, but just a Scottish farm lad who had a knack for racing motor cars. The book is not an easy to locate these days, but Barnes and Noble lists several hardbound copies in the used book inventory for a low price. The copy I read was loaned to me from a friend who has an original Pocket Book printing in paperback from 1966.

If anyone else has read this book, please let me know what you thought of it.
Old 10 Apr 2000, 18:03 (Ref:15622)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off topic, but right now, in the lobby of Ford Motor HDQ (I live in Detroit), is Clark's Indy winning Lotus 38. It looks like nothings been touched since '65, except the mirrors are gone, and the windscreen looks too new.

It sits almost ignored by most people. It is not roped off, and you can go around, over, under, everything but in.

Very primitive by today's standards. Reminds me of my '70's vintage Formula Fords. I couldnt help but feel reverence for the memory of one of the very best racers ever to turn a wheel.

If anyone visits Detroit in the near future (CART race?), let me know, I'd be glad to arrange a visit.
Old 10 Apr 2000, 18:25 (Ref:15623)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
KC you just made my day.

I was about to embark on a serious research to try to come up with an entry list for Jimmy Clark's race career.

Now you've shown me where to go and look for one ready made.

Most excellent thanks. Now, if someone can do the same for my Barrie "Whizzo" Williams research...
Old 15 Apr 2000, 22:53 (Ref:15624)   #4
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely the VSCC would know of any books about "Mr Sideways".

Or why not write to Motorsport (the mag)?
Old 15 Apr 2000, 22:55 (Ref:15625)   #5
Graham
Veteran

Is "Jim Clark at the Wheel" the title of the book?
Old 15 Apr 2000, 23:21 (Ref:15626)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is indeed.

I was looking at a copy yesterday in Chris Knowles' Collectors Carbooks in Woburn. I just couldn't afford the £40 price sticker on it. It's quite a little book.

I did get two great NASCAR history books (1949-1960), an American Sportscar racing picture book, and a monograph on the Ards TT, but that's all for another thread.

It's dangerous visiting Chris. There's always something that's going to loosen the chains around my wallet.
Old 16 Apr 2000, 18:49 (Ref:15627)   #7
Graham
Veteran

Know of any shops like that 'round yer' in Dorsetshire? I'll be yer friend, loike.
Old 16 Apr 2000, 22:55 (Ref:15628)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset I can't do, Graham.

The best I can suggest is Simon Lewis Transport Bookshop in Lydney, Gloucestershire. It'll require a trip across the Severn bridge, but it's worth it. Simon is an enthusiast himself, and pushes any profits into racing his Rover 220 Turbo Coupe.

His prices are not at all bad, either. He's even got a copy of Paul Frere's Competition Driving. I know 'cos I flogged my spare copy to him the other day!
Old 18 Apr 2000, 22:52 (Ref:15629)   #9
Graham
Veteran

Ah. Where does he race that Rover then? There's two at Combe but no Lewis fellow.

Too far for me, sadly. Website? On-line ordering?

There's a reasonably good model shop down here. In Yeovil that is. Mark's Models. They had an Ayrton Senna helmet for sale once (FFord helmet) for £700. I little out of my price range...
Old 22 Dec 2011, 05:36 (Ref:3003012)   #10
mavro
Rookie

South Africa
Margate South Africa
mavro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We knew Jim Clarke

Hi Guys, I have just stumbled onto this site and find it great. To answer KC question, all be it a decade later, yes, I have read Jim Clarkes book and in fact the Lotus Team was stabled at my dads garage in Johannesburg in the 60s during the South African leg. Clark, Taylor and Chapman were all well known to our family, in fact Jimmy even mentions my dad in his book. "Max Kaplan".

I recall our family having lunch with him at our house in Rosebank, and my father enquiring why he was not married. His reply was simple, he was involved in a very dangerous sport.

During that period Jimmy won the South African GP. I was not able to be at the track as I was very ill. On Sunday morning Jimmy came to the house and gave me his winning wreath. Man it made my year.

He was a quiet, reserved and wonderful person, and a hugh loss to the sport. Cheere Jimmy Clarke.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 17:35 (Ref:3003620)   #11
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that must be one of the best thread responses ever.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 17:38 (Ref:3003974)   #12
mavro
Rookie

South Africa
Margate South Africa
Hey Retrognome - thanks for your response Mavro
Old 25 Dec 2011, 20:44 (Ref:3004180)   #13
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I often watched Clark racing, including Brands Hatch and I was there when he was killed in Germany and they held back the announcement until after the Brands race meeting finished.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 09:15 (Ref:3004232)   #14
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
I often watched Clark racing, including Brands Hatch and I was there when he was killed in Germany and they held back the announcement until after the Brands race meeting finished.
Not if my memory is correct, I was at my brother in laws house for sunday dinner, was watching tv when it came over and I am sure they cancelled the rest of the Brands meeting. I couldnt eat and went outside to be alone with my grief, even my wife was surprised at my reaction and at that point I lost a lot of interest in the sport, if it could happen to the Maestro !!!!!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 26 Dec 2011, 10:38 (Ref:3004247)   #15
mavro
Rookie

South Africa
Margate South Africa
Guys,
Just done some research on the crash, the announcement of Jimmy's death was held back from the Hockenheim crowd of around 80,000 until after the race ended, some 2 hours later. I would presume the same happened with the press. It does not appear that the race was stopped.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 13:34 (Ref:3004275)   #16
retrognome
Racer

I could be wrong, but I'm sure the announcement was made after the last race. I remember the cold feeling.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 18:20 (Ref:3004332)   #17
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Don't wish to contradict Eric but the meeting at Brands Hatch was the BOAC 500 and it ran the full distance. I thought that was the case but just looked it up to be sure (before all the experts shot me down in flames!)
We got the tragic news in the clubhouse afterwards. I was devastated - he was and always will be, my hero.

Last edited by johngee; 26 Dec 2011 at 18:27.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 18:32 (Ref:3004335)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Don't wish to contradict but the meeting at Brands Hatch was the BOAC 500 and it ran the full distance. I thought that was the case but just looked it up to be sure (before all the experts shot me down in flames!)
We got the tragic news in the clubhouse afterwards
I was at the BOAC and I certainly don't recall the race being shortened. Nor do I recall an announcement as far as the public were concerned - but I may just not have heard one anyway. Or I may have forgotten. Both are likely.

Let's face it whilst it would have been a huge shock, Clark being the great Clark and at that time my driving hero of the hour, one has to recognise that driver deaths were not exactly uncommon back then with big names falling from time to time. In fact probably at the rate of about one a year? Plus a few less well know names as far as the public was concerned.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 09:53 (Ref:3004461)   #19
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then I stand corrected and yes it was the BOAC 500, all I know is that I definitely turned off, one of those moments in one's life that you can always remember exactly what you where doing at that moment when news breaks.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"