Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 May 2000, 23:33 (Ref:2500)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think something should be done about Phillip Island. I don't care if it is the safest track in the world...it writes off far too many cars for my liking...
1995: Greg Hansford was killed when he was t-boned after spinning into the wall at turn one.
Tomas Mezera was injured when he lost it in the wet.
1996: Craig Lowndes and John Bowe had the biggest accident of all time.
Also Brock had a bad off.
1997: Murphy had a massive off, so did Larkham.
Poon rolled his mondeo down the straight a few times, and Auger had his massive off.
1999: Larry had a big off.
McDougall sausaged his car.
Bargwanna had it in big time too.
2000: Mike Conway totalled his car.
And TODAY:
Gary Quartly and John Trimbole both ended up in hospital after seperate incidents. Quartly lost it before the hay shed and burst into flames, and Trimbole went off and hit the tyre wall protecting the pit entry road, then went airbourne...

I don't know, how about chicane just for the cars? Let the crazy bike boys do as they wish...
Old 7 May 2000, 22:34 (Ref:2501)   #2
Troy
Racer

Troy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There should have been a sand trap in front of the wall that Trimbole hit. As soon as his car hit the grass, it seemed to gain speed.
Old 8 May 2000, 13:11 (Ref:2502)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd rather not say anything about Hansford's accident as there is too much unknown.

Mezera, Bargs, McDougall all came off in the wet where there normally isn't a car going off (esp Bargs and McD as it was along the main straight). You can add Larkham to that list too.

Murphy's accident could have been prevented with a gravel trap, but there aren't many because of the bikes. And even where there are traps, they work ok for the bikes but are not deep enough for the cars as they go over the trap for about the length of the car and are then into the wall (for instance Conway).

There is a huge amount of runoff at PI, but sometimes it is not enough. You cannot count one-off incidents towards a tracks safety ,for instance Auger, Bargs and Trimbole. Each of these incidents are essentially unique. Chances are you will never see accidents like them at PI again.

At least it is better than it was. I remember watching the bike GP coverage and seeing a rider slide into a ditch at the end of some grass at a reasonably fast corner.
Old 8 May 2000, 22:15 (Ref:2503)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Augers, Conways and the Bowe/Lowndes stacks were all in the same part of the track, and all had the potential to be very dangerous.

Another one you can add to the list is Owen Kelly's (i think was who it was) when he got badly hurt in Porsche Cup race several years ago.

I was telling someone last night, it is going to take until until a Clowndes or Seton to get hurt or die until something gets done about it.

While i'm at it, i'd like to have a go a Calder. Have a look at the place. At the end of the straight, around where Clowndes rolled it last year, there are a heap of walls perpendicular to the track. You hit any of those at any sort of speed and your dead. Same deal at the end of the straight. There is a 2 lane gap in the fence, with the fences at right angles to the road. Now i can name 3 cars that have had break failure there in the last couple of years. Had any of those 3 drivers had a bit less control over their cars, they would have been mince meat...

Sorry if im negative Nelly on this one, just that im friends with a lot of drivers, and i really don't want to see them get hurt...

[This message has been edited by Crash Test (edited 09 May 2000).]