Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jun 2013, 23:51 (Ref:3260056)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Marshal loses life at Canadian GP

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/06/1...prix-incident/

RIP

Dan
Old 10 Jun 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3260070)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Terrible news for such dedicated people.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 01:20 (Ref:3260078)   #3
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad news...

RIP
Old 10 Jun 2013, 01:28 (Ref:3260081)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just read this. Sad. Condolences to the fallen's family and friends.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 01:30 (Ref:3260082)   #5
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Immensely sad to hear. Thoughts go out to the persons family and friends.

I did watch the race but couldnt remember seeing the incident on camera-it wasnt shown was it? (not that Im interested in seeing such footage but just a question that popped up when I heard this).
Old 10 Jun 2013, 02:53 (Ref:3260104)   #6
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I've read so far it was post race whilst recovering the car, dropped radio whilst along side the recovery crane went to pick it up,stumbled . . .

I've been marshaling for 5+ years now (never done a GP yet), and have only been involved in one really major incident in that time, but this does bring home the fact that it can be dangerous. Thoughts are with the marshals family,friends,colleagues ,and the recovery driver.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 02:54 (Ref:3260105)   #7
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad news. RIP. Condolences to his family an friends.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 03:33 (Ref:3260110)   #8
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Without the volunteer marshals there would be no racing. RIP
Old 10 Jun 2013, 07:02 (Ref:3260143)   #9
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Disappointed to see a picture of this circulating in the social media with 'Rest in Peace' written across it.

Rubbernecking masquerading as sympathy if ever i saw it.

RIP
Old 10 Jun 2013, 07:04 (Ref:3260144)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
terrible news

RIP
Old 10 Jun 2013, 07:29 (Ref:3260154)   #11
Onyx39
Rookie

Onyx39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't come on here a lot, but just wanted to say you guys all do a wonderful job, without you, there would BE no Motorsport... R.I.P.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 08:31 (Ref:3260199)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Argh, why couldn't he have just left the radio?

Just a terrible accident. RIP.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 09:16 (Ref:3260225)   #13
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Argh, why couldn't he have just left the radio?

Just a terrible accident. RIP.
It's one of those things, isn't it? Hindsight is wonderful.

Same goes for those people that fall to their deaths while trying to adjust their TV aerials. Seems important in that instant but is infact a totally worthless endeavor.

It's just really sad and i don't see how it can be mitigated for. It's human nature.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3260232)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed. On any other day he would not have fallen over. That's life.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3260254)   #15
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as a fellow trackie here in oz, sad to here, condolences to family and extended family of Voluteer Marshalls in Canada.

RIP.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 13:08 (Ref:3260347)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Terribly sad news....

RIP
Old 10 Jun 2013, 14:06 (Ref:3260374)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Very sad indeed. It seems that the safest place to be at an F1 race, these days, is to actually be out on track in an F1 car.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 14:15 (Ref:3260381)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's sad news, it had nothing to do with racing but unfortunately it was tragic.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 16:17 (Ref:3260442)   #19
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Immensely sad to hear. Thoughts go out to the persons family and friends.

I did watch the race but couldnt remember seeing the incident on camera-it wasnt shown was it? (not that Im interested in seeing such footage but just a question that popped up when I heard this).
The recovery took place after the race had finished. Had it taken place during the race, I think it would have been red flagged.
My condolences go to all concerned.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3260568)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, it was after the race and by the photos you can see that there were still public on the circuit.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3260623)   #21
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was at the race and I saw the accident and the recovery of the car. The accident happened with about five or ten laps to go at the Senna curve which is right after the start finish line. It was not a very serious accident, because no other cars were involved. Gutierrez missed a corner, lost control and slid into the tire barrier sideways. He got out of the car fairly quickly and walked away. A mobile crane vehicle came from the garage area access road right away and came over to the car on the grass. Two Marshall's jumped through an access hole in the fence to assist with the car recovery. Ther was a yellow flag for the whole senna curve but a green flag for the cars as they wer leaving the corner. The crane operator and Marshall's worked quickly to hook up the car and lift it in the air. The mobile crane went in reverse back to the access road wi thee two Marshall's keeping their hands on the car to keep I from swinging. All this happened under yellow in that area only and took only abou five minutes. I was impressed with how well the operation went and everything seemed fine, though I did think at the time that it seemed dangerous. But the recovery of the car during the race went fine. The mobile crane stayed parked oof track until the race ended. After the end of the race, they turned the mobile crane around and moved it
forward with the car attached back towards the sauber garage. The Marshall's walked in front of the crane while holding the car to keep it for spinning and moving. One Marshall dropped his radio while the crane was moving and he stopped to pick it up, perhaps thinking that he was out of the way of the crane or that the crane driver would see him. There was no way for the crane driver to see a man crouching down in from of the crane with the car dangling in front of him and tragically he ran over the guy with two wheels. Very sad tragic accident. I don't think anyone acted negligently. They executed the recovery efficiently and safely. What happened after that was a freak accident.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3260653)   #22
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news and a salient reminder to all of us marshals, it is a dangerous place to be,
So sad and so unnecessary, but most of us would probably have done the same with even thinking about it.
RIP my friend. Wave the flag for us all up there
Condolences to the family and friends, and for the crane driver.
Clive
Old 11 Jun 2013, 01:41 (Ref:3260701)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really tragic death of Mark Robinson - can't express enough condolences to his family, friends and the marshalling community. I still feel shocked...

This article provides more information Mark...
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/friends-d...-fan-1.1319544
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 11 Jun 2013, 17:23 (Ref:3261017)   #24
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Very sad indeed and makes me appreciate the risks the marshals take so we can enjoy the sport we love.

Condolences to his family & friends and compassion for the poor soul operating the crane.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3261449)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was quite taken aback when I heard this, as I didn't see anything happen during the race itself.

These guys do an amazing job and there would be no motorsport without them.

I offer my condolences.