Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Aug 2013, 07:22 (Ref:3286420)   #1
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is a 'Touring Car'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33
have a guess what the worlds most popular touring car series is?
If you are classing current V8Supercars as touring cars, then NASCARs must be classed as touring cars too.

Therefore NASCAR is the most popular touring car series in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
DTM - they all run multi-race formats.
DTM runs single race formats, has done so for the last decade.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3286457)   #2
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
If you are classing current V8Supercars as touring cars, then NASCARs must be classed as touring cars too.

last time I checked, The V8's had some bits and pieces on it straight off the Production car their representing.

name me one piece of a NASCAR that's related to the cars their representing, other than the shape of the bodykits.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3286486)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
last time I checked, The V8's had some bits and pieces on it straight off the Production car their representing.
What bits and pieces are coming straight off the production car?

Remember V8Supercar bodies are cut and shut to fit on the purpose built common COTF floorplan
Old 6 Aug 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3286503)   #4
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Remember V8Supercar bodies are cut and shut to fit on the purpose built common COTF floorplan
the headlights and tail lights look pretty real to me.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3286673)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

why does it need to come off a production car to be considered a touring car?
Old 6 Aug 2013, 23:14 (Ref:3286691)   #6
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

DTM runs single race formats, has done so for the last decade.
V8s are classed as a touring car category. NASACR is classed as a stock car category.

Re DTM: - yes correct. I mis-spoke.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 05:47 (Ref:3286748)   #7
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33
the headlights and tail lights look pretty real to me.
So that is the definintion of a touring car? Real headlights and tail lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
why does it need to come off a production car to be considered a touring car?
I never said it had to, FAS33 was the one saying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1
V8s are classed as a touring car category. NASACR is classed as a stock car category.
That was very true in the past.

But in these modern times, especially in the CotF era, what is so different about a V8Supercar and a NASCAR to have one classed a touring car and one to be classed differently as a stock car??
Old 7 Aug 2013, 06:52 (Ref:3286774)   #8
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
what is so different about a V8Supercar and a NASCAR to have one classed a touring car and one to be classed differently as a stock car??
Nothing. Stock Car and Touring Car are just names and can evolve to be anything they want.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3287117)   #9
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But in these modern times, especially in the CotF era, what is so different about a V8Supercar and a NASCAR to have one classed a touring car and one to be classed differently as a stock car??
COTF: Whilst not built off a factory road going shell, the COTFs at least look like the vehicles they represent, have doors that open, working lights. Nothing like the Touring Cars of yesteryear that were built off factory shells and had to retain most of the standard interior.

NASCAR: No doors, stickers for lights and grilles, bodies that do not look like the vehicles they represent, particularly the rear 3/4. Just as today's COTF has moved significantly away from Touring Cars, current NASCAR Sprint Cup cars are significantly removed from the type of NASCAR stock car Richard Petty cut his teeth in.

COTF is much closer to a Touring Car.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 05:05 (Ref:3287881)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
That doesn't make it a touring car though.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 05:15 (Ref:3287883)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
That doesn't make it a touring car though.
yes it does.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:36 (Ref:3287896)   #12
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
yes it does.
No it doesn't.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:45 (Ref:3287898)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
No it doesn't.
Sure it does

its meets the criteria for the Australian Touring Car Championship. has to be a touring car then
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3287901)   #14
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sure it does

its meets the criteria for the Australian Touring Car Championship. has to be a touring car then
It meets the criteria for a specific model of V8 Super Car which is a totally different thing as the rules were written to accommodate it. A touring Car as accepted in the past it is not, no matter how much you want it to be. The rules were changed to allow it to be built and allow the evolution of the car to what it is today. I have no problem with that but I do have a problem with the term "touring car" being bastadised into what SC want it to be just to suit themselves. A custom tub with a few plastic panels hanging off it is an entirely different thing, the term sports sedan springs to mind. You being a fanboi will not accept that of course but I haven't been brain washed so I don't have to. You haven't been on this earth long enough to watch a real touring car race which is unfortunate as I am sure you would enjoy it.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 07:10 (Ref:3287905)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It meets the criteria for a specific model of V8 Super Car which is a totally different thing as the rules were written to accommodate it. A touring Car as accepted in the past it is not, no matter how much you want it to be. The rules were changed to allow it to be built and allow the evolution of the car to what it is today. I have no problem with that but I do have a problem with the term "touring car" being bastadised into what SC want it to be just to suit themselves. A custom tub with a few plastic panels hanging off it is an entirely different thing, the term sports sedan springs to mind. You being a fanboi will not accept that of course but I haven't been brain washed so I don't have to. You haven't been on this earth long enough to watch a real touring car race which is unfortunate as I am sure you would enjoy it.
No need for personal insults.

just yesterday i dropped in and asked at my local dealer for a touring car. he called me a ****** and told me to clear off.

In the end though its irrelevant to this thread.

Maybe we can get back on topic instead of pedantic discussion that we will never agree on because we are different generations
Old 10 Aug 2013, 08:40 (Ref:3287921)   #16
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
No need for personal insults.

just yesterday i dropped in and asked at my local dealer for a touring car. he called me a ****** and told me to clear off.

In the end though its irrelevant to this thread.

Maybe we can get back on topic instead of pedantic discussion that we will never agree on because we are different generations
Really, what dealer? why put stupid comments like that in this thread.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 15:46 (Ref:3288018)   #17
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Being much closer to a touring car does not make it a touring car.

NASCAR this year have infact moved to running bodyshapes more in line with the production models
Old 10 Aug 2013, 22:07 (Ref:3288134)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Let pretend V8 supercars were a Sports Sedan.

Did you know under CAMS rules Sports Sedans are considered Touring Cars

Thus without doubt V8 Supercars are touring cars

Mountain out of a mole hill

a discussion that in no way will improve the series or get it a better media deal in 2015 which after all is the theme of this thread
Old 10 Aug 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3288152)   #19
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
V8 Supercars are Touring Cars.

NASCAR are stock cars.

V8 Supercars = Number 1 touring car series in the world (better than Group A) and makes DTM look lame compared. but hey that's my opinion.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3288500)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hello, pantomime season has broken out. I know it's winter down there, but we don't need the 'oh, yes it is... oh, no it isn't' routine.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 06:58 (Ref:3288666)   #21
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
what are your thoughts on the matter woolley?
Old 12 Aug 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3288686)   #22
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Read between the lines FAS, I reckon he told you.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3288918)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Since this is supposed to be a discussion of the TV deal and matters pertaining, it's not relevant to the thread.

If you search the threads where it is relevant, you'll find I've already given an opinion.

So why not stick to the subject for once?
Old 12 Aug 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3288967)   #24
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
LOL! your the boss :P

good idea for a discussion..
Old 12 Aug 2013, 19:57 (Ref:3288968)   #25
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
V8 Supercars of today, touring cars?

how do you start a poll on here?

as was discussed on another thread, debate was going on if the COTT were still touring cars, are they still touring cars? what are touring cars? and if they're not, what can we refer them to, stock cars?