Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 22 Sep 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1103428)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Standing Or Rolling Starts?

So what will it be for the road and street races for 05, rolling starts or standing starts?

I'm not sure if the IRL has decided how it wants to go about doing the starts for the new road races in 05, so I thought I would ask you guys for your opinions on the matter.

Personally, I love the standing starts. The tension of waiting for the lights, the sensory overload of watching and listening to 22 cars roaring away from the start line, and off into the first corner, where so much can happen, and usually does, is awe inspiring, and dramatic, and often is one of the best parts of a road race. For me, standing starts are the only way to go!

Whats your opinion?
Old 22 Sep 2004, 00:58 (Ref:1103435)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assumed it would be a rolling start, and would be very suprised if it wasn't.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 08:13 (Ref:1103568)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
standing starts would be interesting but I would assume its a rolling start , as per just about every other race in the States , but it would be a novel idea to have a standing start wouldnt it ?
Old 22 Sep 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1103674)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I personally prefer standing starts, I think IndyCar would be wise to keep rolling starts for its road races, simply to keep things consistent across the season.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 12:55 (Ref:1103812)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Standing starts would probably cause more incidents, and go further away from the IRL's original image, so I'd lean towards rolling starts, at least at first.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1103897)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They'll go with rolling starts....much safer, and they are less likely to tear up equipment....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Sep 2004, 19:51 (Ref:1104177)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know, street races, road courses, and rolling starts. Its all looking to much like CART II for my liking.

Danica Patrick
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:04 (Ref:1104200)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that's the intention GP Racer!

Back in the day, Tony George wanted more of a say in running CART.

He didn't get it, so the whole of the last ten years has been about evolving his own CART series.

When the 2006 and future seasons schedules are 50/50 oval/road course then he'll have achieved his aim!
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1104229)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I think that's the intention GP Racer!

When the 2006 and future seasons schedules are 50/50 oval/road course then he'll have achieved his aim!
Dohhhh! Don't say that! Not 50/50!

Although I was once a CC fan, I hope your wrong KB. I do not want to see TG follow down the same path as CART. That would mean international races, at the expense of the US races, all foreign drivers, at the expense of US drivers, and less and less ovals, 3 major factors in CART's demise.

I've come to like the IRL as it is, and while I don't mind a few road courses, 50/50 is a no go for me. It's seeing the IndyCars on the ovals that provide the speed and excitement that we want. There isn't a road course around that will provide the thrills of Texas, and Chicagoland.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1104237)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It'll be a rolling start. Actually, are there any American racing series that actually use a standing start?

Oh, and GP Racer, like the IRL is a hot bed of American driving talent. That part of TG's dream/sales pitch never came to fruition in my opinion. And as far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue. I just want the best drivers the series can get.

Last edited by jhansen; 22 Sep 2004 at 20:23.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:23 (Ref:1104241)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

I think a mixed schedule would be fine, but keeping it to US/Canada/Mexico plus the one Japanese race, rather than pipe dreams of international expansions.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:24 (Ref:1104242)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Tony George originally wanted a series with 10 ovals and 10 street/road courses although I personally think 17 rounds with just 3 road/street ciruits is how I like it and I hope it stays like it.

GP Racer I'm with you 100% I love high speed very exciting oval racing but 2 or 3 road races is going to bring respect it happened with CART when the series was originaly formed with about 80% ovals.
Having the road courses helped the ovals and proved there is skill involved.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1104245)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was near anoth the original CC and I would like it based in N.A and 1 anual fly away.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:35 (Ref:1104266)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Although the IRL was originaly designed for more American talent because Tony George felt CART was to international, If you look at the field of the first IRL race at Disney world speedway way back in January 1996 and compare it with the amont of Americans in the last race at Chicagoland it has signicantly dropped.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1104276)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed. Once the series got its legs and became more competitive the American drivers started being phased out. That really indicates how poor the feeder system is for single-seaters in America. Most of the short-track oval grass-roots series like USAC are running front-engine type cars. Mid-engine sprint cars and super modifieds should have never been banned.

Last edited by jhansen; 22 Sep 2004 at 20:44.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 21:10 (Ref:1104307)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
I just want the best drivers the series can get.
Yeah, I'm sure thats exactly what CART said years ago, and where are they now? That series should just move to Canada and get it over with.

Having a reasonable amount of American drivers in an American series is very much an issue!
Old 22 Sep 2004, 21:41 (Ref:1104354)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
So what's your solution???

Should we subsidize the field by mandating that x number of cars on the grid be driven by American drivers?

Until the feeder system is changed you'll have to live with the current situation.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1104374)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Your right, the best solution is the feeder series, which is only recently, finally producing and giving a chance to a decent amount of American drivers. I suspect and hope that we will see a couple of them get a shot in the IRL next season.

BUT, these team owners have to give them a shot. They need to know how important it is to have a reasonable amount of Americans in there series. They need to know IndyCar history. Only Eddie Cheever seems to get it. He believes in American drivers. Either the others don't get it, or they don't care, but you can bet that the American fan cares. IndyCars will never achieve there former stature without the home-grown hero's we used to have, like Foyt, Andretti, Johncock, Sneva, Jones, Carter, the Unsers, Mears, and a whole host of others. These guys were the real hero's, and Stock Cars was just a "redneck" thing. Thats what this sport really needs again.

Bring your international stars, but have a good base of home grown talent to compete against them...

Danica Patrick
Old 22 Sep 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1104417)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I don't see any prominent teams taking on new American talent next season. Maybe in a year or two. Teams like Penske, AGR, and Ganassi want solid drivers that know how to get to the finish line and know how to win. At least Penske took on Hornish, which was key I thought. Roger really hasn't invested much in American talent since Rick Mears. And Bobby Rahal giving Buddy Rice a shot was also great. It's just too bad that Kasey Kahne and J.J. Yeley didn't get more support. Those were two guys I wanted to see in competitive rides.

The trouble is that I don't see a lot of good American talent in MIPS or Atlantics. USAC has been bringing up some great talent. But, they're all looking at NASCAR. MIPS needs to grow big-time before it will be a viable feeder series. I hope that happens.

OH YEAH, and like I said, rolling starts it will be. See mods, I can stay on topic!

Last edited by jhansen; 22 Sep 2004 at 22:52.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 23:28 (Ref:1104448)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Well, how did Ganassi know that Dixon and Manning were solid guys? They had no IndyCar expierience, or oval expierience. Neither did Wheldon, or Kannan, but they got shots at the top teams. Or Scheckter who's had a full 1/3 of his races end in accidents, but he still gets a look from the top teams.

I don't know, I still cannot figure out how some guys get the shots, and others don't, but I'm working on it!

By the way, check out IPS, and I think you'll see some good young Americans there.

By the way, standing starts for me!

Danica Patrick
Old 22 Sep 2004, 23:37 (Ref:1104456)   #21
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
A great on-topic discussion if I ever saw one.

Solid road course cadidates with extenstive mid-engine experience have proven they have car control. I'd say it also says they know how to set up a car and are sensitive to changes. If I had to guess I'd say oval racing is easier to adapt to in comparison to road course racing. Overall, the overseas road racers fit the bill nicely and more often than not have proven are up to the job. Perhaps someone such as Team Owner can shed some light on this.

Most of the promient American oval talent hale from short track sprint cars, midgets, and silver crown. I know for sure that if I was a NASCAR owner that I'd look to silver crown in a heart beat for driving talent. Maybe MIPS will eventually have the status of say Busch and Craftsman Trucks as a feeder series. It just needs time perhaps.

Oh, and in terms of preference, standing starts are far more interesting. But it'll be rolling starts IMO.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 01:01 (Ref:1104497)   #22
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Let me digress. I prefer a LeMans start. Drivers run across the track. Buckle up. Raise their arm. Starter crew cranks it up. And they're off! Whoopee!! Sissys are allowed to disagree.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 01:22 (Ref:1104502)   #23
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Now that, my friend, is a start!

Make sure you call TG on that one. That'll really set this series apart!

Danica Patrick
Old 23 Sep 2004, 06:28 (Ref:1104603)   #24
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Now that would be very interesting wouldnt it , not that it would ever happen but would make one heck of a spectacle
Old 23 Sep 2004, 06:42 (Ref:1104614)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Turning right is going to be new enough for now.
Trying standing starts would be OTT.
How many cars would stall on the grid? They'd also have to give the engine manufacturers plenty of notice, I would think.