Mexico: Sergio Perez*, Salvador Duran
Netherlands: Jeroen Bleekemolen, Renger van der Zande*
New Zealand: Jonny Reid
Pakistan: Nur Ali*
Singapore: Hafiz Koh, Christian Murchison, Denis Lian*
South Africa: Jennifer Murray*, Stephen Simpson
Switzerland: Sebastien Buemi*
USA: Philip Giebler, Jonathan Summerton*

No great surprises apart from Miss Murray for South Africa... how good is she?
Old 6 Oct 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1729837)   #2
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure why New Zealand and Malaysia don't have rookie drivers as I believe they have tested some and they are starting behind the others in terms of set up information.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1729842)   #3
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
No great surprises apart from Miss Murray for South Africa... how good is she?
No idea how good she is, looks like a Formula Ford Driver:
http://www.jennifermurray.co.za/
Old 6 Oct 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1729846)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Never heard of Miss Murray until this morning, so I don't know!

It's rather like the return of the old guard with Robbie Kerr, Sean McIntosh and Stephen Simpson replacing drivers who raced at Zandvoort.

The Czech Republic has a good pair of drivers for its home event and Lebanon should be much better with Graham Rahal.

I'd like to change my predictions, having seen this list, but it's too late as the rookie sessions are underway now. I wonder if there will be any live timing this weekend? Last weekend it was Zandvoort that provided the best information.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 11:23 (Ref:1729859)   #5
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I wonder if there will be any live timing this weekend?
http://www.a1gp.com/results/live.php
Old 6 Oct 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1729867)   #6
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to live timing Nicolas Lapierre was 1.6secs ahead of everyone else in the first part of the rookie session. I presume someone administering the site forgot to change the name to Duval!
Old 6 Oct 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1729876)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
Thanks, Valker!

Unfortunately it's not working for me at the moment, perhaps because I'm in the UK, but I'll keep trying.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1729886)   #8
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RP 1 results: http://www.a1gp.com/results/pdf/race...ookies%201.PDF

Jennifer was down in 15th, but just behind Dyk and ahead of van der Zande. Not too bad as I think it's her first competitive session in a slicks'n'wings car.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1729930)   #9
cos
Veteran

England
RP 2 results: http://www.a1gp.com/results/pdf/race...ookies%202.PDF

And combined times:
http://www.a1gp.com/results/pdf/race...actice%201.PDF
Old 6 Oct 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1729974)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Jennifer did okay, but the drivers behind her are not exactly the cream of the crop, are they?

The way some of these teams are run still puzzles me. Yelmer Buurman would have been a much better rookie for Team Netherlands and he has said he would be interested in doing it, but I guess it's all down to money.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1729994)   #11
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Czech Republic are likely to be at the sharp end at home with Enge - I rate him very highly. His presence will also help Brazil as they have a work-together arrangement.

I know GB were always likely to alternate between Manning and Kerr, but I think I'd have ditched Robbie and put Darren in for the season - much more experience and definitely faster.

Robbie's been very poor in the Renault World Series this season - albeit that seems to be a series where team/engineer are everything.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1730035)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Times from Session 2 for the race drivers now available here.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1730091)   #13
outflat
Racer

Germany look like they've made a real find with young Nico.

Another good "spot" by Willi Weber?
Old 6 Oct 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1730100)   #14
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
Robbie's been very poor in the Renault World Series this season - albeit that seems to be a series where team/engineer are everything.
so that by your own admission would not be Robbies fault.
Some of the problems that team have had are laughable !!!

alternating drivers keeps them on thier toes and as far as manning ability, he found it hard staying on the black stuff from what i saw in the second race after bottling it at the first corner !! and on the second race he just played follow the leader !!
Old 7 Oct 2006, 02:51 (Ref:1730468)   #15
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
A bit disappointing for New Zealand so far considering they are also looked after by SuperNova. I have high hopes for Johnny Reid as I think he is a bit better than Halliday and has experience of Brno. Mind you would not wish to swap positions with Australia, who look like repeating last season - a podium first up followed by a shocker!
Old 7 Oct 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1730669)   #16
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I wouldn't give up hope just yet. These practice sessions can provide some strange times, depending on what tyre strategy the teams are running. It does seem that the tyres have a very narrow window when they operate best, which is okay for qualifying but not for longer periods of running.
Old 7 Oct 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1730684)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Practice session 3 times here. A good effort by Rahal, but see above!
Old 7 Oct 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1730699)   #18
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Very few spectators there. How disappointing.
Old 7 Oct 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1730737)   #19
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
A bit disappointing for New Zealand so far
Not disappointing any more! Fastest lap in each of the four qualifying sessions and a debut pole for Team New Zealand!

Reid earns pole for New Zealand

By Edd Straw Saturday, October 7th 2006, 13:41 GMT

Team New Zealand's Jonny Reid claimed a surprise pole position for tomorrow's second A1 Grand Prix round at Brno after setting the fastest lap of the weekend in the dying seconds of final qualifying.

Reid set a time of 1:45.040 to give himself an aggregate time of 3:03.053 over the four sessions to seal pole position ahead of Team Germany's 19-year-old Nico Hulkengerg.

The NZ car had held top spot after the third of the four qualifying sessions, only for Hulkneberg to put in a lap of 1:45.025 to wrest jump ahead with a couple of minutes remaining in the second session.

However, Reid was up to the task and lapped 0.013 seconds faster to take pole by almost half a second on aggregate.

Ex-Minardi Formula One driver Alex Yoong bagged a superb third on the grid after strong laps in the final two sessions, while former British Formula Three champion Robbie Kerr ended up fourth on the grid after also holding back his best rubber for the final sessions.

Report from Autosport.
Old 7 Oct 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1730797)   #20
outflat
Racer

I'm going to eat some of my words about Robbie Kerr - he's done a solid job - and the races are winnable from there.
Old 7 Oct 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1730816)   #21
cos
Veteran

England
And a good 5th position for China as well!
Edit: and how come Hinchcliffe is qualifying for Canada? Thought McIntosh was back...

Last edited by cos; 7 Oct 2006 at 17:02.
Old 7 Oct 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1730848)   #22
outflat
Racer

They pulled McIntosh out after his poor showing yesterday and Hinchcliffe was put back in the car this morning.
Old 7 Oct 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1730854)   #23
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a joke for you
Team GB have lost thier fastest lap after the car that is supplied by A1GP was deemed to be 4mm wide. How rubbish is that, you can imagine the conversation.

We supplied you a car that is too wide so were gonna punish you !!!
nutters
Old 7 Oct 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1730876)   #24
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Superb performance by Jonny Reid and Team NZ. Nearly as good by Team Germany and Niko Hulkenberg, particularly on the back of last weekend's effort. Congratulations to both, and to Alex Yoong whose performance was a pleasant surprise.

Interesting that they are both run by Super Nova, who look like being this year's equivalent of DAMS. But could it be even more significant that NZ are engineered by Chris Gorne, who last year engineered Team France to the title?

Shame about Team GBR, nev, but it's not as though any team just runs the car out of the box, is it?

I can't wait for the races tomorrow, particularly as Brno offers more overtaking opportunities than Zandvoort.
Old 7 Oct 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1730931)   #25
outflat
Racer

Must have been an assembly error by team GB - it was the correct width last week!